Riesentöter Forums
Replacement rotors for track use - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Tech (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Ask the Tech Chair (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Replacement rotors for track use (/showthread.php?tid=1682)

- pnolan - 05-05-2009

Will need to replace all four rotors shortly on my 2003 996 C4S.  Have only used Porsche OEM rotors until now. Wanted your opinion on staying with the Porsche cross drilled rotors or trying any of the other manufacturers slotted rotors.

Not looking to spend $3,000 on two piece Performance Friction type rotors, but wanted to find out if there are rotors out there I should be considering for enhanced braking performance vs. the cost.

I've been using Pagid Orange and Hawk HT-10 pads. 

- Larry Herman - 05-06-2009

You did not say what you are doing with your Porsche, so based upon your current brake pad choice, I assume that you are doing some DEs.  The only problem with the OEM drilled rotors is that they are more susceptible to cracking.  That is the life-limiting factor for track use.  Properly made slotted rotors (ones with milled, radiused slots that do not go all the way to the edge) will last longer because they do not crack as easily.  Neither offer a braking advantage over plain rotors.

- pnolan - 05-06-2009

Car pretty much used just for DE's.   I was researching slotted rotors and was concerned about two things:

1) Tire Rack has DBA slotted rotors for my car, but has a note on their website regarding using for track use.  Possibly just a CYA note for anything track related

Brake Rotors and Track Use

Slotted, drilled or dimpled rotors offered as OEM replacements should not be considered appropriate for high-speed track use.

While grooved, drilled and slotted rotors offer an enhanced appearance and add some resistance to the boundary layer of gasses that can build up between the pad and rotor, they are not designed to withstand the extreme temperatures that are produced on the racetrack. If they are used on the track, it is very important that the rotors be carefully inspected and should not be driven on if even minor signs of deterioration are seen. Note, too, that if these products are used on the track they are not warrantable.

(Was not as concerned about this warning as the OEM rotors from Porsche are cross-drilled rotors.)

2) Didn't know anything about DBA and reputation etc

- Brian Minkin - 05-06-2009

I have used Power Slot Frozen Rotors for years on the old track car and never had one fail.  I did have a failure on a Brembo slotted rotor but that was after several years of use on the track. Since I can not get slotted for my 993 I now use OEM drilled and although they do not last as long as the slotted I have not had one self destruct to date.

- michael lang - 05-06-2009

Cross-drilled, grooved, slotted...I think it's really a matter of personal preference. I don't think that for what we are doing (DE/street) we will notice any difference from one or the other (Brian's example being the exception). If I was in pnolan position which I will be soon, I would go with some basic rotors, probably solid, maybe another set of cross drilled, but I would and did install a brake cooling kit. This alone should extend the life of the brakes but also add some safety to the rotors. Best of luck to you on whichever way you decide to go.

Larry that kit that I asked you about fit without any modification & installed with the hub blockoff plates on both sides in about 2 1/2 hrs. If I pressed I probably could have knocked it out in about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4. Probably a level 2 or 3 in terms of difficulty. Maybe a suggestion for a clinic topic.