Riesentöter Forums
Spring Pocono North DE Event - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Spring Pocono North DE Event (/showthread.php?tid=1703)

- delanckc - 05-18-2009

Thanks to all for a good weekend despite the weather.  Hopefully the folks in green/blue were able to get enough runs in on Sunday to make up for Saturday morning. 

Friday was my first advanced day.  I had an unbelievable time on Friday.  I'll definitely sign up for advanced days in the future. 

Other general comments on the weekend?  

Kevin

- MikeKling - 05-18-2009

It’s hard to imagine a more dedicated group of people.  This year saw new leadership with our RTR track committee.  From my perspective, the event was very organized and efficiently executed.  Two members made a huge difference in my journey to become a better driver.

First, was our classroom instructor, Jim Zelinskie.  Although very new I have now attended about a dozen classes at both DE and AX.  Through all these I have seen many methods of explaining contact patches and traction circles.  These have included Power Point slides, people sitting in chairs pretending to be tires and glasses full of water.  I never really got it like I did this weekend.

After putting a chair in front of himself he leaned it backwards and pushed down. �?This is you accelerating�?, he said.  Leaning it forward, “This is you braking�?.  He then stood straight up and kicked the chair away.  “This is you coasting, on the brakes or on the gas will keep you safe�?, he ended.  That short demonstration reminded me of the old drug abuse commercial with the frying pan and the egg.  Remember?  This is your brain……..Short message, simple props, huge impression.

Most of all, I want to thank Brian Minkin, my Instructor.  I was having trouble with Turn One.  I just couldn’t seem to make the turn without scrubbing off to much speed.  Since the weather got us off to a slow start, Brian made up for lost time by inviting me to ride with him for two sessions.  After forty bone jarring minutes it started to become clear how this course worked.  Brian was satisfied with my progress enough to allow me to solo.  Even though the grandstands were empty, it felt like the eyes of the world were on me.  Brian’s confidence in my progress trumped my anxiety and I made it through my first solo session.  Got passed a few times and did some passing, not bad.

The weekend was rounded out by spending time with folks I met from last fall and sharing in their experiences and accomplishments.  I also met some great new members as well.  Here’s to a great season.  Lastly, nice T-shirt.

- ninjabones - 05-18-2009

Picture deleted

Sorry Mike, totally in jest.... couldn't resistSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile  In truth, I'll reiterate what Mike said; congrats to Myles, Mike A., Tom and the rest of the exec committe for putting together a great event.  Despite the weather challenges on Saturday, I had a great weekend.  I got over 6 hours of track time without a single hiccup from my car.  Took my first hit from the Hoosier crack pipe, and I'm a changed man.  The fat-boy-slim winnings should cover my new Hoosier addiction for the rest of the season.

- KennyB - 05-18-2009

Glen,

You're incorrigible.  Maybe that comes from hangin' around with Nick Wink

Mike,

Glad you had a good time.  Hope the rest of the season sees better weather.  I had a couple of good sessions and didn't ball up the car, so that's a good thing.  Unfortunately, now I have another addict on my hands.  My son won't stop asking "Hey, when are we goin' to another track weekend?"

- George3 - 05-18-2009

This Pocono weekend brings back memories of how tough this track can be sometimes..... weatherwise.  Although Friday's advanced day was good... Sunday afternoon proved to be my best runs.  Too bad my Chase Cam recorder crapped out on me and I couldn't get any 0:54's videos... so I've only posted a taste of the Friday sessions. 

Kudo's to Miles and the Track Team for doing the Foggy Parade laps for the Green and Blue students on the foggy as pea-soup day.  Both my Blue and Green students really appreciated the slow laps to get re-acquainted with the track after a long cold winter.

http://vimeo.com/4718914

- Racingswh - 05-19-2009

Decent video George.  I like the way your car sounds.  You seem to be adapting to the car quite well.  It looks great on the track.  Were you getting lap times with a lap timer/data logger?  How does the car feel to you compared to the sedans/GT cars you were and still are driving?

- George3 - 05-19-2009

Racingswh wrote:
Quote:Decent video George. I like the way your car sounds. You seem to be adapting to the car quite well. It looks great on the track. Were you getting lap times with a lap timer/data logger? How does the car feel to you compared to the sedans/GT cars you were and still are driving?

Yes, I'm really getting the feel of the car... great balance and neutral handling. T1 at about 112 mph and I know I can get it higher. Taking eveything in baby steps.

DA is by AIM. Pocono was rough on my car again. Two broken front end links. Last time I was there it was one broken end link and cracked oil cooler. They really oughta fix the bump in T5.... it's a killer.

How were your runs?

- fve - 05-19-2009

I had a great time in spite of late-day troubles on Sunday.

I took some photos. they are very amateurish, but if anyone likes any of them i can touch them up for you or even send you the original (nikon Raw, "NEF"). Let me know. Here is a link to the photo set on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/f_v_e/sets/72157618419669199/

fve

- StoogeMoe203 - 05-22-2009

This past weekend shows how strong the addiction is.  What insane group of people would wait around seven hours in fog that felt like you were out at sea?  I could almost here the bells ringing and the fog horns in the distance.  Then everyone was hoping for rain to clear the fog out.  Anything, just anything, so we could get out on track!

Sunday wasn't much better really.  The fog was gone, but some were looking for their Hoosier snow tires in the morning.  The wind was ferocious making it feel more like March than May.  But when you're in the car on track, it doesn't feel cold anymore.  It's like you go to a happy place where there is no pain.

Time heals all wounds, and looking back, that was a pretty fun weekend.  In fact it was a blast.  When's the next one?