Riesentöter Forums
general opinion about radar - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: general opinion about radar (/showthread.php?tid=1720)

Pages: 1 2

- michael lang - 07-03-2009

I'm noticing that there are alot of speed camera's popping up in the most unsuspecting areas. Within the last six months, there are now 4 new cameras in between Potomac and Bethesda (8 mile radius), which is my normal route to the store. I'm sure that type of thing is happening up there as well. I've started looking into alert systems, more because it is a pain in the ass to deal with getting a ticket than the ticket itself, and I've really only found one that has that type of recognition system. Does anyone have any experience with the Passport 9500ix, and is it really worth the $500? Or is there something else you recommend I should look at?

- emayer - 07-03-2009

One other possibility I discovered which sounds pretty cool:

There is an app for the iphone 3G which provides a continuous GPS map with active radar/ camera locations along with known police hideouts.  Users have the capability of updating the database in real time thereby alerting other drivers.  The system apparantly gives an audible and visual warning when approaching a suspected site.

I can try to find the program name again if interested.  Aside from requiring the iphone the only downside is that you will not have an active detector for roving radar/ laser.

- michael lang - 07-03-2009

from what I have learned that is the nice thing about the 9500ix is that it uses GPS data to alert the operator of traffic camera & lights. that's an interesting option, i will look into that. thanks.

- dmano - 07-13-2009

Just slow down....

- Porshagod - 07-13-2009

A GOOD radar detector (Passport or Valentine) used in conjunction with a Photo License Plate Cover should address this issue.

For more info on the License Plate Cover, go to-

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

Part Number:   89007
Description:   Super Protector - Photo Radar Defense License Plate Shield - US Plates
Price:   $34.95

- AMoore - 07-13-2009

I saw an episode of mythbusters where they concluded that the license plate covers do not work.

- LouZ - 07-13-2009

emayer wrote:
Quote:One other possibility I discovered which sounds pretty cool:

There is an app for the iphone 3G which provides a continuous GPS map with active radar/ camera locations along with known police hideouts. Users have the capability of updating the database in real time thereby alerting other drivers. The system apparantly gives an audible and visual warning when approaching a suspected site.
Iphone App: Trapster

- larrybard - 07-13-2009

AMoore wrote:
Quote:I saw an episode of mythbusters where they concluded that the license plate covers do not work.

Some license plate covers do indeed prevent cameras from photographing your plate.

But they are also illegal in PA. And, if an officer is in a particularly cranky mood, can also get you cited for disorderly conduct. Even if you weren't driving the vehicle.

I can attest to all of the above based on personal experience, unfortunately.

- Phokaioglaukos - 07-13-2009

larrybard wrote:
Quote:Some license plate covers do indeed prevent cameras from photographing your plate.

But they are also illegal in PA. And, if an officer is in a particularly cranky mood, can also get you cited for disorderly conduct. Even if you weren't driving the vehicle.

Ouch. Were I you, I'd frame that disorderly conduct citation and display it prominently.

No one could believe that of you!

- AMoore - 07-14-2009

Phokaioglaukos wrote:
Quote:larrybard wrote:
Quote:Some license plate covers do indeed prevent cameras from photographing your plate.

Ouch. Were I you, I'd frame that disorderly conduct citation and display it prominently.

No one could believe that of you!
I'm more surprised that you were actually speeding Larry!Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin