Riesentöter Forums
Medical alert - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Medical alert (/showthread.php?tid=1749)

- geza - 06-30-2009

Hi Folks,

I found the following on a Corvette Forum. I thought it might be helpful during the summer months:

The Heat Is ON (Heat Exaustion)
This will be in the next 10/10ths newsletter but it is hot now so I though it would post it up for everyone.

Summer is upon us and so far has been fairly warm and humid. Drivers sitting in their cars in the hot pit and driving on the track can easily lose a pound of water or two in a single session. (Note that a pound of water is equivalent to about a Pint.). YES, it is very possible. I have dealt with many heat related injuries over my career as a Cincinnati Fire Fighter and Paramedic and know that it can happen quickly. Although most people suffer the effects, the outcome is usually good, but most people are not driving at 120 – 150 MPH either. On track symptom of heat exhaustion can be devastating to you and other drivers around you.

You should know the symptoms before you get on the track.
Heat exhaustion is one of the heat-related syndromes, which range in serverity from mild heat cramps to heat exhaustion to potentially life threatending heatstroke.

Signs and symptoms include things such as:
• Feeling faint or dizzy
• Nausea
• Heavy Sweating
• Rapid, weak heartbeat
• Low blood pressure
• Cool, moist, pale skin
• Heat cramps
• Headache
• Fatique
• Dark colored urine (yes, you should pay attention to this)

If you suspect heat exhaustion:
• Get out of the sun and into a shady or air conditioned location.
• Lay the person down and elevate the legs and feet slightly.
• Loosen or remove the person’s clothing.
• Drink cool water.
• Cool down by spraying or sponging cool water on your body.
• DO NOT underestimate the effects. Heat exhaustion can quickly progress to heat stroke.
• If you do not see improvement quickly call 911.

Note that many folks simply disregard the symptoms and do not act on them in time. It is very important for all drivers to pay attention to this in the paddock and watch your buddies for the effects. Don’t hesitate to say something to another driver if you suspect it. Offer them a bottled water etc. and encourage them to drink. Water is your friend. I have been told “gas is your friend�? [Image: smile5.gif], but not in this case.

How to avoid heat exhaustion at the track:
• Drink plenty of WATER.[Image: smash.gif] (A minimum of 1 pint before each session)
• Take that driving suit off between sessions.
• Get some shade time while in the paddock.
o (Even if your car needs work, make sure you take a moment to rest and get some fluids.
• If you notice you have not gone to the restroom all morning, it is because you are not getting enough fluids, you need to drink something.
• PAY ATTENTION to the symptoms and act on them as needed. It is better to give up the fight and win the battle on another day. Don’t go out on the track if you are not feelling well !!!!!

- Tony356993 - 06-30-2009

geza - nice post.

if you are not using the rest room every hour to 90 minutes, you are not properly hydrated to endure 30+ minutes of track driving in hot/humid weather. if you are instructing (sometimes 2 students) you might be on track for 90 minutes straight. you cannot hydrate enough at the track.

- Darren - 06-30-2009

Geza -- great post!  And time to change the Avatar Smile

- betegh9 - 07-02-2009

Geza1 I like the post, very informative. On a normal day, I use the facilities to do #1 in the morning and at night. At the track I am concious to drink more than my fair share and then go 3 to 4 times in the same period of time. Is that OK since i have a bladder like a camel?

Dr. Geza, please give me advice. Wink

- geza - 07-03-2009

Sorry, I don't give advice. I just cut and paste. If you are asking a serious question, please consult your doctor.