Riesentöter Forums
Why Not to Allow a Teenager to Drive a Porsche - **WARNING - CONTAINS LINKS TO GRAPHIC CONTENT** - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Why Not to Allow a Teenager to Drive a Porsche - **WARNING - CONTAINS LINKS TO GRAPHIC CONTENT** (/showthread.php?tid=175)

Pages: 1 2

- Wellardmac - 11-23-2006

The following link refers to an accident that occurred in Orange County, CA on Halloween. An 18 year old girl stole her father's new Carrera and crashed it at high speed within 3 minutes of taking the car. From the photos I THINK it might have been a C2 cab.

The first link is a news report.
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_1341086.php

This second link (and the links contained therein) is EXTREMELY GRAPHIC. Do not open it unless you are trying to teach your teenager a lesson in the perils of high speed driving.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=440412

Very very sad, but a prime example of a stupid girl proving that evolution wins out.

I'm posting this because, much as it's a tragic accident, I believe that the parents among us can use this to teach our kids a valuable lesson.

- Mike Andrews - 11-23-2006

Your account of the story does not match what I've been told..... I'm not saying you're wrong.....

And the photo's of the girl in the car are very graphic and shouldn't be viewed if you have a weak stomach.

Regardless of the circumstances around the incident it is a very trajic ending to a young persons life and I'm sure her friends and family will miss her dearly.

FWIW, I think your comment about a "stupid girl" is uncalled for.

- Wellardmac - 11-23-2006

If it's not stupid for an 18 year old to be driving a Porsche in the first place, then for her to be driving it in excess of 100mph, then I don't know what is.

I'm sorry Mike, but this story is the definition of stupidity. Having lost a kid I know the pain of the parents and really feel for them. It's doubly painful to see this story plastered across every auto discussion forum I've visited. The truth is that a teenager is not equiped with skills to drive a Porsche at speed. We are lucky that she didn't kill anyone else on her way out. That would have been a bigger crime.

I repeat my comment - a sad story, but it's evolution. She IS dead and was a stupid girl who at 18 years old and should have known better. Powerful cars driven at high speed with immature driving skills kill - it really is that simple. Every member of this forum knows that as well as I do - ask the insurance industry and the stage legislatures that are tightening up teenage driving rules.

I have researched this story from several outlets and each one said that she took her father's car without consent. There are conflicting accounts as to whether it was after an argument (and other factors). If you know someone in Orange County that has first hand knowledge of this story, then I'd love to hear it, but many accounts of this story state she took the car without consent. There are also reports that her father and a neighbor called 911 after she pulled out of the neighborhood at around 60mph.

The speed she was driving is indisputable - you don't get that mangled with your car (and body destroyed), facing the wrong direction on the otherside of a highway by driving 55mph. The damage to the car and the reinforced concrete toll booth was pretty impressive.

- smankow - 11-24-2006

rather than simply commenting last night, I opted to sleep on my thoughts about this thread.  Unfortunately, my thoughts didn't change.

I whole-heartedly agree with Mike on this one.  It's not an unusual occurrence for a teen to "steal the car keys" (I'm sure many of us did this).  There are also parents who let their teens drive their Porsche's without incident.  Maybe she had previously been allowed to drive the car and had many hours behind the wheel.

So, regardless of why she took the car, maybe she was a little overwhelmed about things - who knows - and most likely got herself into a predicament that she couldn't control.  This could have (and does) occurred with ANY motor vehicle, not just a Porsche. 

So, I cannot say she was a stupid girl.  Rather, she was very unfortunate.  I did view the photos (I still don't know why) and was filled with sadness for her and her family and friends.  They will be spending the holiday season and the rest of their lives without their loved one.  That is tragic, not stupid.

Maybe what was stupid was starting this thread in our forum in an extremely negative light.  There is much to learn from this (for all of us) about just how powerful and dangerous driving car be and to respect this.  There certainly was no reason for the graphic photos to be used.  Just the damage to the car was more than sufficient.

I certainly would not be upset if this thread somehow was removed from this forum.

Steve

- Wellardmac - 11-24-2006

Self responsibility is a wonderful thing.

My posting was not negative, it was educational.

Sure you can stick your head in the sand, but nothing gets learned if the accident is ignored and is forgotten. That is tragic - that is wasteful. You were warned about the pictures and chose for yourself to look at them (doubly you had to click through a second set of warnings to get to the bad pictures). The reason for this posting is to teach people with kids that this can happen if your kids don't get it. Preventing it from happening to someone you know has value.

Sure you can hide from it, but the truth is that it IS tragic and should not have happened.

Pretending that it didn't happen and allowing it to happen again is more tragic.

Here's the thing - either she didn't get that speed kills, or her parents didn't teach her properly.

When my father put me behind a wheel for the first time I remember (vividly) his words to this day, "This car is a weapon. It will kill you and anyone it touches if you drive it recklessly. Speed kills. Treat with respect."

Now THAT is the true lesson that should have happened.

As for the comment about the car keys - that simple to fix - don't leave them where your teenager can get hold of them. Sorry to state the obvious, but I repeat my father's words - a car is a weapon - one that she was not equiped to handle and should not have had access to. You lock away guns, so equally she should not have access to the Porsche.

- smankow - 11-24-2006

wellardmac wrote:
Quote:Nothing gets learned if the accident is ignored and is forgotten. That is tragic - that is wasteful.

Sure you can hide from it, but the truth is that it IS tragic and should not have happened.

Pretending that it didn't happen and allowing it to happen again is more tragic.

well, I guess we can agree to disagree.

1. I'm not ignoring this accident. Frankly, I had not even heard about it until you placed it into our forum. It's placement here might just be tragic.

2. I'm not hiding from it. Yes, it shouldn't have happened, but it did. So, are you now going to fill this forum with graphic car crashes so that they are not forgotten?

3. I'm not pretending it didn't happen. It did, but why do you feel that it's justified to be brought into this forum and even more so, justify those who don't feel it's appropriate here.

So, how do you propose this not to happen again? It is totally impossible. Simply showing someone the horrors of a crash isn't stopping everyone. And even so, this could happen while safely driving on any street, any where.

I'm done with this thread. And maybe it will be gone from our forum by the next time I view it.

Steve

Steve, you're over-reacting. One posting does not make "filling the forum". It was posted because it is Porsche related and was intended to be educational. We all have an interest in what our cars can do.

I personally will be using this example when my son gets to driving age - my hope is that others will do the same an maybe one teenager might "get it".

- Brian Minkin - 11-24-2006

There is a lesson or reminder here about the fatal capabilities of any automobile. It does not take a Porsche to tragically end life.  I lost two very close friends when I was 16.  One was driving a Ford Fairlane. He mixed alcohol and speed during a weekend outing in the Pocono's and took his own life along with that of several other school mates.  His parents showed pictures of the accident they had gotton from the state police to a group of his very close friends to try to teach us about the responsibility of being behind the wheel.

The other was also due to excessive speed where he launched his mustang ( a 4 cylinder automatic) airborn on a crested section of road and was unable to maintain control when he landed. Fortunatly the others in the car survived but his door was wrapped around a tree and he looked very similar to the girl in the Porsche when I came upon the accident a few minutes after it occured.  This had a very profound effect on me and still does today.

Not only do our children need to be taught to respect the fatal capabilities of an automobile, so do we sometimes need to be reminded of the responsibility required to drive an automobile on the street.  It is indeed a weapon and can wipe away a life, yours or some innocent person in seconds if it is driven without proper respect for the responsibilty of being behind the wheel.

I do feel that calling the girl "Stupid" was not appropriate but I do not think there is anything wrong with reminding us all what an automobile is capable of when driven irresponsibly.

This thread is tragic and I feel for the girls family and friends. I hope that its posting on this forum serves a positive purpose to remind us all of our responsibilities behind the wheel.

Thank you Brian. I can imagine how difficult it can be to talk about losing friends like that. The imagery stays with you for life.

I still remember vividly seeing an accident when I was around 8 years old. I saw a mini cooper get sliced in half by a guy racing and not anticipating a semi pulling into the road in front of him. I will never for get him.

I wish more drivers generally could understand the impact of inconsiderate driving. If they saw more things like this, then there might be more considerate and careful drivers in the world.

- ZBlue996Kam - 11-26-2006

It is sad to see an accident like that happened to a young person. 

Let's not make judegement on the intelligence level on the driver.  The damage is done and its ashame that it happened.

If any of my kids decided to drive excessively fast in public road, I would prefer them to do it in a Porsche.  Please don't forget that there are many cheap cars on the road today capable of doing over 100 mph easy. 

The same accident could happen in a sedan!!