Riesentöter Forums
Fuel Preservative - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Tech (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Ask the Tech Chair (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Fuel Preservative (/showthread.php?tid=182)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Wellardmac - 12-12-2006

Modern diesel is a different case and I can't say I know it as well. What is the stated purpose of the additive?

If I remember correctly, doesn't the viscosity of diesel go up in cold weather? Is the additive you're talking about a thinner that allows low temperature flow? It would make sense to me to have a flow additive to allow easier low temperature starting, but I'd be surprised it it wasn't already formulated into the fuel in cold weather climates.

I remember our family vehicles that ran on diesel all had fuel heaters to thin it down and get it flowing in low temperatures.

I love diesel vehicles - effecient and clean - so much of a change from 25 years ago. European diesel vehicles are wonderful - it's hard to tell that they're diesel - none of the smell or tell-tale clatter of their predecessors and their milage is awesome. I wish that we had them here (and that diesel was cheaper here)

Let me know more about the additive you have and I'll let you know if it makes sense.

- ccm911 - 12-12-2006

Am I wrong, or was Kerosene used to thin out diesel in the winter monthes back in the seventies and eighties?  I am convinced that someone once told me that paraffin(sp?) was added to diesel as a lubricant, but being from the wax family, would jell in colder temps, hence the need for the kerosene as a "thinning agent".

The cool thing about diesel cars is that thy can run on french fry oil!  Talk about your "bio-diesel".

If anyone has driven the new Volkswagen TDI cars, they would have to agree that they are a far cry from "your father's diesel".  The torque is just great.

Brian Minkin wrote:
Quote:What about cold weather additives for diesel fuel. I have a diesel truck and this is my first winter with it. What do I need to know. Ford Dealer does sell diesel additives in their service dept. Should I be concerned with using these?

Brian,
As I said, I'm no diesel expert, but looking at a typical composition of diesel I see no need to worry. My context on diesel is around 15 years out of date and centered around european diesel. My understnading is that the formulations are similar, with the exception that US diesels are higher in sulfur and are not as clean burning. The other thing that annoys me is the european diesel sells for less than gasoline, whereas here it's the opposite.

Now, when biodiesel hit the market, then the fears of degradation and an ever changing fuel composition may be more real, but it's hard to say until the final formulations are set.

For those who are interested, here's a nice simple simmary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel

- Brian Minkin - 12-12-2006

So from what information I have gathered it appears that as long as I fill up with Low Sulpher Automotive Diesel I should be okay in this climate and it will not have a serious gell problem.  However if I buy #2 diesel at a truck stop I probably need to add something to prevent gel in cold weather. I have #2 in it now but it is almost empty so I will fill it with Automotive Diesel and see what happens.

That makes sense. I remember seeing gelled diesel during winter. I was figuring that they had solved that problem by now. Do they still have diesel heaters on cars?

My father has run diesel cars in the UK for the last 20 years (I learned to drive in one) and they're truly amazing vehicles. I've not been able to tell that his last few cars have been diesel until he commented, or I saw the D on the back... no noise, no smell and 50mpg. Depressing. I believe that he's running a Ford Focus Turbo diesel for business right now. I know that he never puts additives in his fuel, despite the cold UK winters.