Riesentöter Forums
Thunderbolt event - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Thunderbolt event (/showthread.php?tid=1871)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- Darren - 10-14-2009

The R-888s are much softer than the MPSC.  They also have much better water channeling.

- emayer - 10-14-2009

Allison,

No Mini?  I love that car!  Watchya driving instead?

Here's a general question for the gurus- how should we adjust tire pressures given the cooler temps?  I left my physics book in the fireplace.....

- Darren - 10-14-2009

Absolutely! You are still looking to have the same hot pressures as you normally would but the track surface will be much colder.  If it's dry then maybe 2-3 psi more, in the wet maybe as much as 6-8 psi more! It depends entirely on what tires you are running.

The "hot" pressure is what is setting the shape of the tire.  Having the right pressure/shape is what maximizes the size of the tire contact patch.

You can also run into a situation where the more daring you are the more grip you will have -- that is because as it becomes more challenging to get heat in the tires you'll see the better drivers driving near the limit desperately trying to get them up to temp.  Another driver driving slowly, like in the rain for example, might be going slowly enough not to slip/slide and never get heat in the tires!

That's more of a racing thing though Smile Don't use me for an excuse going 4 wheels off Tongue

- APXD 30 - 10-14-2009

emayer wrote:
Quote:Here's a general question for the gurus- how should we adjust tire pressures given the cooler temps? I left my physics book in the fireplace.....

Eric,

In both cold & damp conditions you will want to run slightly higher pressures in your tires.

I heard a forecast that Millville is supposed to get 2-4 inches of snow therefore I'll be running Blizzaks on the GTI at 35 psi (cold)Big Grin Does anyone know if NJMP will plow the track?

- ADCooperS - 10-14-2009

emayer wrote:
Quote:Allison,

No Mini? I love that car! Watchya driving instead?
I'm driving Chris's GTI, which is a LOT faster than my car (well it would be a lot faster if I knew how to drive it Smile.. ). I love my car as well, but it was a lot of work for Chris to always get two cars ready and safety-wise his is obviously a better option considering mine is completely stock. Should be interesting!

- AMoore - 10-14-2009

Darren wrote:
Quote:The R-888s are much softer than the MPSC. They also have much better water channeling.
I believe the MPSCs have a wear rating of 80, while the R 888s are 100. The lower the number, the softer the rubber.

- TireShoppe - 10-14-2009

The Treadwear is only acurate within a brand.  Michelin to Michelin and Toyo to Toyo not comperable to each other.

Joe

CJ's Tire

BTW, I'll be at the Lightning track with tires and support if you need anything.  It would be helpful if you called me today if you need any tires.  I'm loading in the morning.

- emayer - 10-14-2009

APXD 30 wrote:

Eric,

In both cold & damp conditions you will want to run slightly higher pressures in your tires.

I heard a forecast that Millville is supposed to get 2-4 inches of snow therefore I'll be running Blizzaks on the GTI at 35 psi (cold)Big Grin Does anyone know if NJMP will plow the track?

Gonna put that AWD to work! Will check to see if there is a Techquipment snow plow attachment... Thx for advice on pressures.

Allsion wrote:

I'm driving Chris's GTI, which is a LOT faster than my car (well it would be a lot faster if I knew how to drive it Smile.. ). I love my car as well, but it was a lot of work for Chris to always get two cars ready and safety-wise his is obviously a better option considering mine is completely stock. Should be interesting!

Makes perfect sense and you'll be great as always. Now I know what to look out for!!! Big Grin

See you guys at MAW. Yahoo!

- Darren - 10-14-2009

TireShoppe wrote:
Quote:The Treadwear is only acurate within a brand. Michelin to Michelin and Toyo to Toyo not comperable to each other.

Joe

CJ's Tire

BTW, I'll be at the Lightning track with tires and support if you need anything. It would be helpful if you called me today if you need any tires. I'm loading in the morning.

Yeah I just know from experience that the MPSC lasts a whole lot longer than the R888. And if you talk to anyone that races R888's they almost universally hate them -- to the point that next year they are bringing back the RA-1 for Spec Miata and Spec e30! The complaints are mostly the tire wear.

Joe -- will you have a tire machine at the track?

- catchacab - 10-14-2009

Now the question is:  Spend $800 on tires that I won't use again, so I can drive at MAW or sit it out?