Riesentöter Forums
September membership meeting - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Membership Meetings (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: September membership meeting (/showthread.php?tid=1876)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

- Graham - 09-04-2009

RTR members and friends,

The next monthly meeting will be held on September 23rd  at A W E Tuning  2385 Maryland Rd, Willow Grove PA 19090 :  215-658-1875  Social @ 7pm, meeting @ 8pm.

Many items to discuss, many new and old friends to see. 

-Graham Knight

President

- George3 - 09-04-2009

I'll be there.

My Calendar has been circled for 2 weeks now !

- Lainey - 09-07-2009

Graham,
I will be on the west coast so I won't be able to make the meeting - really wish I could be there considering some of the buzz on the board. Hope it goes well...

Lainey

P.S. Will I see you at Pocono?

- Graham - 09-08-2009

Lainey wrote:
Quote:Graham,
I will be on the west coast so I won't be able to make the meeting - really wish I could be there considering some of the buzz on the board. Hope it goes well...

Lainey

P.S. Will I see you at Pocono?

Lainey, I hope to make it to Pocono. The car is being repaired so it is touch and go at this point.

The Sept meeting is sure to be a good meeting; remember nominations for Executive voting positions can be made from the floor that night OR in writing to any of the Executive members. Email addresses are in the back of the Der Gasser or on our RTR web site. Nominations close at the end of the Sept 23rd meeting. Come out and be heard!

Graham

- larrybard - 09-08-2009

If a nomination were submitted in writing and received prior to the September meeting, would it be made public in any fashion before the meeting date (e.g., by posting on the forum), or would it only be initially publicized at the meeting?

Also, if an individual may be nominated for only one office, I understand how that limitation can apply to the nominating committee's recommendations, but in what sense (if any) is it also meant to apply to nominations from the floor and in writing? I can see how I couldn't, for example, nominate Joe Cayman for both President and Vice President, but as a practical matter I can't see how it would work if I submitted a written nomination for Joe for President, and independently some other member also submitted a nomination for Joe for Vice President.  If one person were initially nominated for more than one office, is the way the situation would be handled is that they would have to choose, before the election is held, which office they would run for?

Inquiring, confused (confusing?) minds wish to know.

Larry

- Phokaioglaukos - 09-08-2009

larrybard wrote:
Quote:If a nomination were submitted in writing and received prior to the September meeting, would it be made public in any fashion before the meeting date (e.g., by posting on the forum), or would it only be initially publicized at the meeting?

Also, if an individual may be nominated for only one office, I understand how that limitation can apply to the nominating committee's recommendations, but in what sense (if any) is it also meant to apply to nominations from the floor and in writing? I can see how I couldn't, for example, nominate Joe Cayman for both President and Vice President, but as a practical matter I can't see how it would work if I submitted a written nomination for Joe for President, and independently some other member also submitted a nomination for Joe for Vice President. If one person were initially nominated for more than one office, is the way the situation would be handled is that they would have to choose, before the election is held, which office they would run for?

Inquiring, confused (confusing?) minds wish to know.

Larry

Larry,

Your views are as valid as mine, but here are the answers that I think apply to your questions.

1. Nominations are only made public at the meeting because that is the only place they are actually made. I interpret Section 4.3.1.3 of the Bylaws ("Active and family-active members may make nominations from the floor at the September meeting of the members. No second is required. Nominations from active and family-active members may be submitted in writing, to be received by a member of the Executive Board prior to the September meeting." to mean that nominations may be made in person or by a member of the Board on behalf of a Club member, as long as the Board member has the Club member's request to make a nomination in writing. Of course nothing stops anyone from announcing on this forum or in any other way that he or she intends to make a nomination, including a self-nomination.

2. As to one person being nominated for multiple offices, I think Section 4.3.1.4 of the Bylaws ("Any member declining a nomination may be re-nominated only through one of the procedures prescribed in these Bylaws. Such re-nomination must occur before the close of nominations.") addresses that. Upon being nominated for an office a nominee may decline and then be re-nominated for another office that he or she accepts. In the unusual event that multiple members desire to nominate the same person for different offices I suggest that there be a quick discussion at the meeting. Upon nomination of "John" for one office every other member who desires to nominate John for another office should pipe up. Once all the offices for which John is nominated are identified, John can decline the nominations he does not want--all of them or all but one of them.

In the five years I have been a member I have never seen this situation arise, but these are provisions of the Bylaws that were not affected by last year's amendments so maybe someone else has some relevant precedent.

Larry, will you attend the meeting and manage this process for us? I may be able to attend by phone, but that will not be very satisfactory give the likely size of the meeting.

- larrybard - 09-09-2009

Phokaioglaukos wrote:
Quote:Larry, will you attend the meeting and manage this process for us? I may be able to attend by phone, but that will not be very satisfactory give the likely size of the meeting.
I know you're kidding. (And no doubt all other sensible members, especially current officers who may have had heart palpitations upon initially reading that, also hope you were kidding. )

Although I do in fact intend to attend the next monthly meeting -- highly unusual for me, but I won't go into that here -- I will look forward to the meeting, including everything election-related, being capably managed by our knowledgeable and experienced officers.

I appreciate your thoughtful and logical answers to my questions and agree that the views you expressed make great sense and certainly seem correct. Thank you.

- Phokaioglaukos - 09-09-2009

larrybard wrote:
Quote:I know you're kidding.
Not at all. You could do us a great service by reading the Bylaws and being prepared to advise on their application.

- larrybard - 09-09-2009

Chris, I feel compelled to respectfully decline to be deputized (?) as ad hoc ex officio acting Secretary (??? clearly I am not even sure how to characterize my proposed role) at the September meeting to advise on bylaws questions that may arise.

I have every confidence you would do far better participating by phone.  One excellent lawyer should be all the legal assistance that is needed.  (And if I were to also participate, RTR would still only have the assistance of one excellent lawyer.)

Larry

- Graham - 09-16-2009

<bump>