Riesentöter Forums
September membership meeting - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Membership Meetings (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: September membership meeting (/showthread.php?tid=1876)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

- JoeP - 09-25-2009

That's OK, Allison.  I am a very patient man when it comes to shots and beers.

- Darren - 09-25-2009

Phokaioglaukos wrote:
Quote:The PA statute has a more common sense approach: the president shall preside at member meetings, shall determine the order of business and shall have the authority to establish rules for the conduct of the meeting that are fair to the members.
That being the case, the behavior of one person both rushing to the front to just about grab the microphone from the president was totally unacceptable. I also very much disliked his tone speaking to Allison. It was disrespectful and unacceptable.

I want to hear from Mike on the election, that's the voice I want to hear from the other ballot. I don't want to hear from angry guy.

- APXD 30 - 09-26-2009

Darren wrote:
Quote:That being the case, the behavior of one person both rushing to the front to just about grab the microphone from the president was totally unacceptable. I also very much disliked his tone speaking to Allison. It was disrespectful and unacceptable.

This was very unfortunate and I share your opinion Darren. I am not making an excuse for these action but rather a statement that, as a club, we are all upset by the betrayal of a friend and need to make sure that we are not misplacing our anger and bullying fellow members. If we are not careful the alienation of active members will far exceed the financial loss.

Phokaioglaukos wrote the fact is that I was a five-year member of this Club before I heard about a DE discount for Board members, and that was only AFTER I was elected to the Board.

I joined in '03 and only learned of this discount a year or two ago myself. My take on the the DE discount is that it preserves control of the Executive Board for members who are active in DE. It is certainly motivation to run for office. The same motivation does not exist for social, concourse, or restoration members.

- catchacab - 09-26-2009

The only motivation one should have when running for an elected position in a club or any non-profit organization or for those who volunteer to serve in an appointed position should be the desire to serve the organization.  I am the President for my state professional organization.  The perks that I receive for the many hours of work on behalf of the organization is a pat on the back, and an occasional thank you. 

I do not support discounts for E-board members for DE events, with the exception of the Safety Chairs, DE Chair or if the Board member is an instructor.  Currently there are 23 board members that are eligible for DE discounts of 50%.  If a board member attends each DE, I estimate that they would be eligible for a discount of $1200.  In my opinion that is not appropriate.  If the 23 members of the board attend every DE the board will receive a  benefit of $27,600 in DE fee discounts.  Knowing  that some DE events have lost money, some may have broke even or even made a small profit, the importance of DE profits to fund other aspects of this club demands that board members pay full fees just as all other members do.

I agree with Josh's comment that by only offering a DE discount to board members, that this discriminates against those who do not participate in DE, but only in social, Rally, or concours events.  But then should not be any special  E-Board discount for any club activity.

- larrybard - 09-26-2009

Darren wrote:

"That being the case, the behavior of one person both rushing to the front to just about grab the microphone from the president was totally unacceptable.  I also very much disliked his tone speaking to Allison.  It was disrespectful and unacceptable."

I think one important clarification might be helpful. Perhaps I'm the only one who is concerned that Darren't remark might be misinterpreted in this way, but members who did not attend the meeting might think that he was referring to Graham when he said "I also very much disliked his tone speaking to Allison. It was disrespectful and unacceptable." In fact, Darren was referring to Tom Z. at that point.

Larry

- Mike Andrews - 09-26-2009

Darren wrote:
Quote:Phokaioglaukos wrote:
Quote:The PA statute has a more common sense approach: the president shall preside at member meetings, shall determine the order of business and shall have the authority to establish rules for the conduct of the meeting that are fair to the members.
That being the case, the behavior of one person both rushing to the front to just about grab the microphone from the president was totally unacceptable. I also very much disliked his tone speaking to Allison. It was disrespectful and unacceptable.

I want to hear from Mike on the election, that's the voice I want to hear from the other ballot. I don't want to hear from angry guy.

Darren,

Yeah.... this whole thing has a number of people on edge. That's the sad thing about all this as we all have one common focus and that's the club. I'll be posting in Eric's post (2010 Election) once I'm finished putting all of my thoughts on paper for the club mailing.

We all need to remember that we were/are friends prior to all this election stuff and we should keep our heads and focus on the future of our club.

APXD 30 wrote:
Quote:Darren wrote:
Quote:That being the case, the behavior of one person both rushing to the front to just about grab the microphone from the president was totally unacceptable. I also very much disliked his tone speaking to Allison. It was disrespectful and unacceptable.

This was very unfortunate and I share your opinion Darren. I am not making an excuse for these action but rather a statement that, as a club, we are all upset by the betrayal of a friend and need to make sure that we are not misplacing our anger and bullying fellow members. If we are not careful the alienation of active members will far exceed the financial loss.

Phokaioglaukos wrote the fact is that I was a five-year member of this Club before I heard about a DE discount for Board members, and that was only AFTER I was elected to the Board.

I joined in '03 and only learned of this discount a year or two ago myself. My take on the the DE discount is that it preserves control of the Executive Board for members who are active in DE. It is certainly motivation to run for office. The same motivation does not exist for social, concourse, or restoration members.

Josh,

I couldn't agree more with your first statement. It wasn't too long ago we were all saying it's not the cars... it's the people.

The discount was proposed a decade or so ago, and at the time it affected one person.

It's my opinion that we should serve on the board because we want to contribute to the club, not because we want a discount. This whole discount thing has turned into something ugly and it's one of the things I plan on addressing when in office. From two fronts. As it appears the general membership is unaware of its existence, I plan on taking it to the membership at large and asking them to vote on it. If they don't like it then I think as representatives of the club it should go away. If they think it's appropriate then it stays and everyone is made aware of it.

A follow-up to that, I'd also like to poll the membership as to their thoughts on reimbursing expenses for volunteers (and by volunteer I mean people working, not participating) at events. That's another topic that seems to be getting some discussion.....

catchacab wrote:
Quote:The only motivation one should have when running for an elected position in a club or any non-profit organization or for those who volunteer to serve in an appointed position should be the desire to serve the organization. I am the President for my state professional organization. The perks that I receive for the many hours of work on behalf of the organization is a pat on the back, and an occasional thank you.

I do not support discounts for E-board members for DE events, with the exception of the Safety Chairs, DE Chair or if the Board member is an instructor. Currently there are 23 board members that are eligible for DE discounts of 50%. If a board member attends each DE, I estimate that they would be eligible for a discount of $1200. In my opinion that is not appropriate. If the 23 members of the board attend every DE the board will receive a benefit of $27,600 in DE fee discounts. Knowing that some DE events have lost money, some may have broke even or even made a small profit, the importance of DE profits to fund other aspects of this club demands that board members pay full fees just as all other members do.

I agree with Josh's comment that by only offering a DE discount to board members, that this discriminates against those who do not participate in DE, but only in social, Rally, or concours events. But then should not be any special E-Board discount for any club activity.

Eric,

Your first paragraph hits the nail right on the head. We should be doing this (giving our time) because we want to and for the way we feel when our efforts are recognized.

To the rest of your post. The discount as it was first established was for the elected exec board members and that has since grown to the entire board and then into allowing that discount to be used by ones spouse. It's a touchy subject and can be argued many ways, which is why I intend to take it to the membership for a vote. In case anyone is curious, my vote would be to remove the discount.

- Porshagod - 09-26-2009

catchacab wrote:
Quote:The only motivation one should have when running for an elected position in a club or any non-profit organization or for those who volunteer to serve in an appointed position should be the desire to serve the organization. I am the President for my state professional organization. The perks that I receive for the many hours of work on behalf of the organization is a pat on the back, and an occasional thank you.

I do not support discounts for E-board members for DE events, with the exception of the Safety Chairs, DE Chair or if the Board member is an instructor. Currently there are 23 board members that are eligible for DE discounts of 50%. If a board member attends each DE, I estimate that they would be eligible for a discount of $1200. In my opinion that is not appropriate. If the 23 members of the board attend every DE the board will receive a benefit of $27,600 in DE fee discounts. Knowing that some DE events have lost money, some may have broke even or even made a small profit, the importance of DE profits to fund other aspects of this club demands that board members pay full fees just as all other members do.

I agree with Josh's comment that by only offering a DE discount to board members, that this discriminates against those who do not participate in DE, but only in social, Rally, or concours events. But then should not be any special E-Board discount for any club activity.

HOLY CRAP! We actually agree on something! Big Grin

I, like you, have served as President on an Executive Board, of my condo associations both here and in Florida. Each association has an annual budget of aprox $1.5M a year, not an easy task to manage, but we do so because we care about the Association (or Club), as well as the fiduciary responsibility to the membership that we represent. It is usually a thankless job with hours of hard work and dedication required to fulfill our duties.

The "No Compensation" rule is there for a reason, which you have so eloquently outlined above. By strictly adhering to this rule, I'm sure the current issue with Clubs funds would have been avoided. The By-Laws should be clear, we serve with NO Compensation, discounts, perks or whatever term you wish to use, period. Speaking of which, By-Law changes should ONLY be implemented by a 2/3 vote of the membership, and NEVER only by an executive board.