Riesentöter Forums
Bang for your buck in a track car - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Bang for your buck in a track car (/showthread.php?tid=1882)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

- Darren - 09-21-2009

AMoore wrote:
Quote:Josh's new acquisition had me thinking. What would be the best bang for your buck street legal DE car, considering cost to buy, and cost to run. Cheap, plentiful, quality parts a must.
Street legal DE car = bad on the street, bad on the track Smile

- AMoore - 09-22-2009

Darren wrote:
Quote:AMoore wrote:
Quote:Josh's new acquisition had me thinking. What would be the best bang for your buck street legal DE car, considering cost to buy, and cost to run. Cheap, plentiful, quality parts a must.
Street legal DE car = bad on the street, bad on the track Smile

That is silly. I didn't say street comfortable, just meant something you could drive to the track. There are many examples of very track capable street legal cars. My heavily modified RS America, most GT3s, and Z-06s, George's Evo. I would estimate 80% of the cars at DE are street legal, and at least half of those are very capable track cars.

What stops your 996 from being street legal?

- Darren - 09-22-2009

I've tried to take street/track cars to the track for years and this is my opinion -- I won't do it anymore.

My 996 was too low -- it would scrape the front splitter on even a modest incline.  The suspension spherical joints were constantly failing after only a few thousand miles.  It's loud, entirely too loud for the street.  The alignment would tear up rear tires in a short time and it would hunt all over the road, especially at high speeds or in the wind.  It had a roll bar rendering the back seats useless.  The seats were fixed position, very tiring on long rides.  I couldn't use the factory sub-woofer because of the roll bar, etc etc....

On the track the springs, front springs in particular, were entirely too soft.  I would get so much compression on the front outside wheel that it would push really badly.  I also want a full cage on the track.  Going the speeds I was going without a cage is silly.

The new version of the car is track-only, not streetable with 1400/1600 in lb springs, full lexan, cup ride height, etc.

- steveh - 09-22-2009

I think, by definition, a street legal/DE car will have to involve some trade-offs.  Clearly the best track car is a race car (stripped, caged, suspended like a rock, lowered to within short hairs of the track surface), but not everybody has a tow rig or wants to get one. 

I read this thread to ask what's out there that's cheap to buy and run, will get you to the track (and maybe carry a set of track tires, along with a helmet and some tools) and will still put a smile on your face while on track.  Depending on your version of "cheap" and how much discomfort you're willing to put up with on the ride to the track, there seem to be a lot of good choices.  Few of those choices (except maybe an E36 M3) that are really inexpensive are going to be the absolute fastest on track, but they can still be fun.  I loved my 951, but being able to go really fast in the straights had a substantial price tag attached.

To me, the fact that my two "beater" track cars are low hp and still streetable makes them much more challenging to drive on track, and ultimately more rewarding (again, to me, your mileage may vary) when I can make my lap times drop. Smile

- JoeP - 09-22-2009

Aaron:  As long as you do not care about resale, and are willing to become expert on the subject, there are 914 conversions that are crazy fast.  I was considering one with a 10.3:1 3.2 engine and 10" wide wheels in the back.  Others had 3.6's and even aluminum LS engines.  Insane acceleration and very nimble.  Unfortunately, the chassis must be properly reinforced, so build quality is everything.

- asher681 - 09-22-2009

Renegade in Las Vegas sell a popular kit to bolt a WRX sti in you 914 or late model 911sc...  400hp,  less weight & cheap aftermarket/factory parts.  They sold me the kit for my 944 S8 / LS 3 conversion...  410hp at the rear wheels... Joe Asher, Resentoter VP

- delanckc - 09-22-2009

asher681 wrote:
Quote:Renegade in Las Vegas sell a popular kit to bolt a WRX sti in you 914 or late model 911sc... 400hp, less weight & cheap aftermarket/factory parts. They sold me the kit for my 944 S8 / LS 3 conversion... 410hp at the rear wheels... Joe Asher, Resentoter VP

Joe,

How's the conversion holding up?

Kevin

- George3 - 09-22-2009

delanckc wrote:
Quote:asher681 wrote:
Quote:Renegade in Las Vegas sell a popular kit to bolt a WRX sti in you 914 or late model 911sc... 400hp, less weight & cheap aftermarket/factory parts. They sold me the kit for my 944 S8 / LS 3 conversion... 410hp at the rear wheels... Joe Asher, Resentoter VP

Joe,

How's the conversion holding up?

Kevin

^ +1

Better question, how is it holding up under track use?

- asher681 - 09-22-2009

Great, i drive it weekly, blows the doors off the imports...  sounds kinda funny but it runs on the heart beat of america, & the opposition  (imports  usually a  teenager) has no idea a LS3 lurks under the hood...  As for the track, prior to my heart attack I had to replace the alternator twice at the track, auto zone near summit point on a saturday night !!   Turns out the pulley was for street use, once I reduced the pulley's  diameter it has been flawless..  Joe Asher Riesentoter, VP

- George3 - 09-22-2009

That is awesome, Joe. 
Sounds like a phenomenal conversion.
How many times was the car on the track?