Riesentöter Forums
Snell helmet requirement - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Snell helmet requirement (/showthread.php?tid=1907)

Pages: 1 2

- cjbcpa - 09-26-2009

Just saw this interesting article on the upcoming Snell 2010 standard. Makes a case that a Snell standard helmet may not offer the best protection, at least not for motorcyclists. Is our Snell standard mandated by the national or for insurance purposes?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/automobiles/27SNELL.html?hpw

- Phokaioglaukos - 09-28-2009

Very interesting read.

The standard for road racing is the Snell SA2005 (SA for special application instead of M for motocycle). The SA helmets are generally more expensive than M helmets--smaller market?--but that's what you need for road racing. Think about when it comes time to buy a new helmet. My SA2000 is about five years old so next season I'll get a new one. Probably a SA 2005 because it will be cheaper than a SA2010, but I'll have to see how the standards change.

- ccm911 - 09-28-2009

I read a bit of the article this morning whilst browsing the New York Times site.  What amazed me was that the $79 helmet outperformed some of the big boys!  Remember the old Bell ad..."If you have a $20 head, then buy a $20 helmet".

Good stuff.  I know I will be researching this further.

- Phokaioglaukos - 09-28-2009

I see on the Snell web site that the SA2010 helmets will not be out until October 2010. I guess I will have to get a SA2005 next spring. My current helmet will not do the trick.

Is there a shop in the Philadelphia area that actually stocks SA helmets? I'd like to try a few different ones.

- opus - 09-28-2009

ccm911 wrote:
Quote:Remember the old Bell ad..."If you have a $20 head, then buy a $20 helmet".
It's a good advertising line. Test by Consumer Reports on ski helmets have shown that price has no co-relation with safety, as far as impact. More expensive helmet might be lighter, which will help to reduce fatigue and reduce weight on the head+helmet combo. That in turn might be safer.

- ccm911 - 09-28-2009

Now I am more confused than ever.  As far as in the car, I am not really concerned.  But for the motorcycle, it can be a life or death decision.  I always figured that if you stuck with a known brand like a Bell, Shoei, or Arai that you should be OK, but now this testing seems to refute my old way of thinking. 

- betegh9 - 10-03-2009

My understanding about helmets is that the SA units are made with Nomex for fire resistance while the motorcycle ones are not, thus is why the SA ones are more expensive. All helmets are made to take impact, ONCE, so it is best to replace after a crash since it may have an invisible crack that may compromise its function for the NEXT time. Usually a lighter (carbon kevlar) are considered the best for strength / weight. The lighter weight has less SNAP momentum in a crash, and the Hans and R3 head restraint systems help the neck muscles to maintain your head over the shoulders.

- George3 - 10-03-2009

betegh9 wrote:
Quote:My understanding about helmets is that the SA units are made with Nomex for fire resistance while the motorcycle ones are not, thus is why the SA ones are more expensive. All helmets are made to take impact, ONCE, so it is best to replace after a crash since it may have an invisible crack that may compromise its function for the NEXT time. Usually a lighter (carbon kevlar) are considered the best for strength / weight. The lighter weight has less SNAP momentum in a crash, and the Hans and R3 head restraint systems help the neck muscles to maintain your head over the shoulders.

That is my understanding as well. You leave the vehicle in a hurry in a motorcycle crash. The fire resistive rating is in the event of a fire in the car.

- Mike Andrews - 10-12-2009

George3 wrote:
Quote:betegh9 wrote:
Quote:My understanding about helmets is that the SA units are made with Nomex for fire resistance while the motorcycle ones are not, thus is why the SA ones are more expensive. All helmets are made to take impact, ONCE, so it is best to replace after a crash since it may have an invisible crack that may compromise its function for the NEXT time. Usually a lighter (carbon kevlar) are considered the best for strength / weight. The lighter weight has less SNAP momentum in a crash, and the Hans and R3 head restraint systems help the neck muscles to maintain your head over the shoulders.

That is my understanding as well. You leave the vehicle in a hurry in a motorcycle crash. The fire resistive rating is in the event of a fire in the car.

Fire resistance is but one thing... personally I think if the inside lining of your helmet is on fire you got bigger issues....

Nick, helmets are designed to take multiple blows and SA helmets are tested with multiple hits to the same spot (and perhaps now motorcycle helmets as well). Think about a roll over and your helmet hitting the roll bar as you bounce around....

But you are correct, once you "use" the helmet it's best to replace it.

As a general rule, lighter is better. Of course that usually cost more. More money also buys (usually) you better ventilation.

- LouZ - 10-12-2009

Phokaioglaukos wrote:
Quote:I see on the Snell web site that the SA2010 helmets will not be out until October 2010. I guess I will have to get a SA2005 next spring. My current helmet will not do the trick.

Is there a shop in the Philadelphia area that actually stocks SA helmets? I'd like to try a few different ones.

Since I (and surely others) have a SA2000 helmet, do I need to replace it for the start of the 2010 season, or can we wait till the SA2010 helmets come out?

I just don't like the idea of spending $$ in the spring for something that is superceded by a newer rating 6 months later.