Riesentöter Forums
Ratification of Expense Reimbursement and Discount Policy - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Membership Meetings (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Ratification of Expense Reimbursement and Discount Policy (/showthread.php?tid=1936)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

- Graham - 10-12-2009

JoeP wrote:
Quote:Phokaioglaukos wrote:
Quote:...I wish I had known in Jan that some of these folks would meet among themselves to run the DE program and not let even the President attend their meetings, let alone publish minutes or agendas to the Board or members.
That raises a question for Graham. -- When you were trying to attend the Speed Council, which event(s) were you trying to add or delete from the schedule?

I'm not a big fan of certain tracks, but I'm not sure that I would want them changed - even Jefferson. Experience on a wider mix is better than going to the same circuits all of the time. Since Mike is already on the Speed Council, I assume that his input is already visible in the tracks we've seen over the past few years. I would like to hear what changes Graham recommends.
Joe, please understand that as President, I wanted to observe the meetings to understand what they did and how they did it.

- JoeP - 10-12-2009

Graham:  I can understand that the President would want to get a peek inside the tent, but I still would like to know your feelings on track selection.  If I care about one thing in this election, I care about DE events, and I am pretty happy with the status quo.  However, some members and execs are questioning why speed council does not have more oversight. 

Since the Board can change Bylaws or Policies at will, RTR could easily broaden exec involvement in the speed council.  As a result, the President would have more direct or indirect input into track selection.  Your campaign mailing makes that clear.  It is fair for us to know which tracks you would like to drop or add - unless Track Chair and speed council responsibility will remain exactly as it is/was for the 2009 season. 

- Graham - 10-12-2009

JoeP wrote:
Quote:Graham: I can understand that the President would want to get a peek inside the tent, but I still would like to know your feelings on track selection. If I care about one thing in this election, I care about DE events, and I am pretty happy with the status quo. However, some members and execs are questioning why speed council does not have more oversight.

Since the Board can change Bylaws or Policies at will, RTR could easily broaden exec involvement in the speed council. As a result, the President would have more direct or indirect input into track selection. Your campaign mailing makes that clear. It is fair for us to know which tracks you would like to drop or add - unless Track Chair and speed council responsibility will remain exactly as it is/was for the 2009 season.

Joe, had I been able to observe Speed Council deliberations I might have had some suggestions, and I might have some in the future, but only after I am better informed. Our DE program is very good but I'm sure even you and Mike would agree that it could be even better, and some of what makes it as good as it is could probably be adapted to other of RTR's activities. We're all looking to work as a team.

- JoeP - 10-12-2009

Graham wrote:
Quote:JoeP wrote:
Quote:It is fair for us to know which tracks you would like to drop or add - unless Track Chair and speed council responsibility will remain exactly as it is/was for the 2009 season.

Joe, had I been able to observe Speed Council deliberations I might have had some suggestions, and I might have some in the future, but only after I am better informed. Our DE program is very good but I'm sure even you and Mike would agree that it could be even better, and some of what makes it as good as it is could probably be adapted to other of RTR's activities. We're all looking to work as a team.

Without a direct answer, I will assume that you anticipate no substantive changes to our successful DE program in 2010. Thanks.

- Mike Andrews - 10-12-2009

Phokaioglaukos wrote:
Quote:To that end, I would like Speed Council to be regularized--that is appointed as a body by the Board, responsible to the Board (and thereby to the members) and with their actions publicized to the Board and members.

Chris,

Well, I think the people/positions on the speed council are/were appointed by the board.

Was the person that ran the social outing the weekend of the Radnor Hunt event appointed by the board?

Were the people involved with MAW appointed by the board? As I remember Katherine was the person that was responsible (appointed) for MAW, when did the club appoint Joe to handle that event?

It's not that I'm opposed to those decisions, but if you want to micro manage the speed council you should also address these other items.

The speed council is responsible to the board, through the track chair.

The actions are reported to the board at the exec meetings and as such are part of the minutes.

Phokaioglaukos wrote:
Quote:Thanks for posting that. I wish I had known in Jan that some of these folks would meet among themselves to run the DE program and not let even the President attend their meetings, let alone publish minutes or agendas to the Board or members.

Chris,

I've heard you say this before, I asked Myles tonight if Graham had ever requested to attend a speed council meeting..... Myles has no recollection of being asked, and Graham has never formally asked me if he could attend. I, for one, would have no problem with Graham sitting in as an observer.

Publishing an agenda and minutes hasn't been considered. As stated earlier the decisions made are then communicated via the track chair at the following exec meeting.

Graham wrote:
Quote:...I wish I had known in Jan that some of these folks would meet among themselves to run the DE program and not let even the President attend their meetings, let alone publish minutes or agendas to the Board or members.
That raises a question for Graham. -- When you were trying to attend the Speed Council, which event(s) were you trying to add or delete from the schedule?

I'm not a big fan of certain tracks, but I'm not sure that I would want them changed - even Jefferson. Experience on a wider mix is better than going to the same circuits all of the time. Since Mike is already on the Speed Council, I assume that his input is already visible in the tracks we've seen over the past few years. I would like to hear what changes Graham recommends.
Joe, please understand that as President, I wanted to observe the meetings to understand what they did and how they did it.

Graham,

Good to see you here on this thread.

I made a statement in a response to Chris's post. I wasn't sure if you have ever asked (and I don't mean in passing or as a joke) to attend one of these meetings? I know you haven't asked me and Myles couldn't recall you asking.

But, if you want to understand what and how they did it, it's all pretty simple. We start with the past event and discuss any issues that came up during the execution of that event. We talk about problem students. We talk about problem instructors. We talk about you.Big Grin

After we talk about the prior event, we discuss the next event. For example tonight we talked about the Thunderbolt event and the accompaning MAW activities. We discused the increased participation and the proposed instructor/student load. We discused the start and stop times. We discused the order of run groups. We discused when to distribute t-shirts and so on.

We also discused the instructor banquet and contacting the tracks to see what was available for 2010.

Graham wrote:
Quote:Graham: I can understand that the President would want to get a peek inside the tent, but I still would like to know your feelings on track selection. If I care about one thing in this election, I care about DE events, and I am pretty happy with the status quo. However, some members and execs are questioning why speed council does not have more oversight.

Since the Board can change Bylaws or Policies at will, RTR could easily broaden exec involvement in the speed council. As a result, the President would have more direct or indirect input into track selection. Your campaign mailing makes that clear. It is fair for us to know which tracks you would like to drop or add - unless Track Chair and speed council responsibility will remain exactly as it is/was for the 2009 season.

Graham,

I agree, there's always room for improvement.

I also agree that our DE program is very good. And as you said, some of what makes it good could certainly be used in other RTR activities. I'd be honored to sit in on those other planning meetings and offer suggestions to make their program as successful as the track program, just let me know when you are having the next meeting.

- catchacab - 10-13-2009

Graham wrote:

Graham and Chris,

With your problems with the Speed Council, with Myles as the Chair of the SC, why did your "Slate" not include a different candidate for Track Chair? If elected, will you propose new Track co-chair, Chief Instructor, Safety Chair, co-safety chair, and registrars?

- bobt993 - 10-13-2009

Mike, 

Thanks for the clarification especially regarding MAW.  I had no idea of the changes.  Some years back,  Shannon and I started providing breakfast pancakes for donations.  Robin Z added all sorts of options for people and it became a yearly addition to the fund raising (no to mention good food in the morning).  

Usually Robin would contact us several weeks prior with a game plan which was then adopted.  I guess that is being run different this year or we were not needed to help out with.   See you at the track.