Riesentöter Forums
RTR DEs - Camping at the track - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: RTR DEs - Camping at the track (/showthread.php?tid=1972)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- STEVEMCMORN - 02-21-2010

At the monthly EXEC meeting earlier today, we discussed the possibility of camping at the track during our RTR DEs.

Some tracks offer this option, some don't but it is pretty popular amongst club racers and it is another option that we may be able to offer our members if there is sufficient interest. The track would charge us for the privilege and we would pass this cost onto drivers via a nightly fee, probably using motorsportreg.com. However before going ahead, we need to gauge how much interest there would be to ensure we wouldn't lose money. Nightly fees are yet to be determined but I imagine it would be in the $35 -$50 range per night.

All thoughts / comments/ input welcome including how much other clubs charge to camp. This may work, or there may be no interest at all - we won't know until we hear from our members. However, your Executive committee is doing their best to maximize your fun, enjoyment and value for money while at the track so all ideas are welcome

- Fprodget - 02-22-2010

Summit Point and NJMP allow camping at their facilities. At Summit there is only a charge if you choose to connect to one of the electric boxes in the Paddock. I think the same is true for NJMP.

The last time I was at Pocono there is NO camping inside the track. I undersdtand that there is a campground not far from the track that campers use, but I have not been to their campground. 

- Lainey - 02-22-2010

Who's bringing the Motorhome?

- Darren - 02-22-2010

The cost to the club (I think) is whether or not there is a security guard at the gate.  You shouldn't split that cost up to "campers" you split it up to the club.  That is the way it's ALWAYS done in car clubs.  That is the Right thing to do.  Make it so that people who are concerned about the cost have a lower-cost option.

I go to events to drive.  I drive a Porsche because of what the car can do, not because it's "elite" or "prestigious" I could give a crap.  If it was a Yugo going that fast I'd love it even more.

Autocross doesn't make money either, but the club supports it because it's the right thing to do. 

Camping should also be supported, in my opinion.  Years ago, before my time, guys would drive their daily drivers to the track, camp out, and have a fun weekend with their cars.  Porsche, Giant Killer, Now it's trailers, hotels, spend, spend....

At NASA events we have a blast camping out, sitting by a campfire and talking track.  Why can't we have that in RTR?

I'm not paying to camp -- and amongst the RTR crowd I prefer to camp more than anyone.  At NASA events camping is free.  Instructing is free. Tech inspections are free.  What is it about RTR that makes these things for-pay?

As much as I love you guys, you are seeing the point but missing it entirely.  I think this year may be the breaking point.

My personal plans for this year -- I'm instructing at 3 RTR events, assuming you'll have me (and I can afford it).  I will continue to support the club that I owe my driving abilities to a little bit longer than I think is reasonable.  Other than that I'll be racing and instructing at NASA events because they are financially a better deal.

- bobt993 - 02-23-2010

Steve,

Thanks for asking the question.  I think there are a few of us that would do this.  Darren mentions NASA having camping at the track and the majority of participants do.  It very much adds to the experience and you actually meet other people!!   It would be great to have the social community at the club expand out into more corners of the paddock.  There are many variants to camping:  tents, camper tops on pickups, enclosed trailers, and of course the monster motorhomes.  I have a great time attending with drivers/racers from all camps and maybe it should be given more of an attempt at a specific event in the future.  Let me know what event you think it would be great to do so at and I will try and contribute.  The irony is most of us leave the track rush to a hotel, split into "clicks" then go out to eat and drink to drive back to our hotel in an exhausted/inebriated condition. 

Bob

- JoeP - 02-23-2010

Camping would add something to an event for those who do not camp.  Even if only a handful of people camp, the entire Club would now have a place to hang at the track after 5:00.  With a bonfire, a keg of Negra Modelo, and a battery powered stereo, we would be the hottest spot in the county. 

- Darren - 02-23-2010

JoeP wrote:
Quote:Camping would add something to an event for those who do not camp. Even if only a handful of people camp, the entire Club would now have a place to hang at the track after 5:00. With a bonfire, a keg of Negra Modelo, and a battery powered stereo, we would be the hottest spot in the county.
Agreed Smile

- AMoore - 02-23-2010

JoeP wrote:
Quote:Camping would add something to an event for those who do not camp. Even if only a handful of people camp, the entire Club would now have a place to hang at the track after 5:00. With a bonfire, a keg of Negra Modelo, and a battery powered stereo, we would be the hottest spot in the county.

I am not a camper but this concept is starting to appeal to me. Assuming I am still welcome in light of the fact that I am no longer an owner of a P car.

No I am not going to grow a mullet or drink budweiser.Big Grin

- Lainey - 02-23-2010

- MylesD55 - 02-23-2010

Darren,

This question came up at the Executive meeting relative to Watkins Glen, who charge $325 per night to allow camping ($975 for 3 days).  Motor home hookup would be extra and charged to the individual.  It is probably just the cost of the security guard.  FYI the Glen has add on fees for everything.  Early arrival (night before event) costs extra, Track walks are extra, even wifi is extra. 

For Watkins Glen, if we have enough interest and event participants, then we will consider adding the camping option to our event at no extra cost. 

Myles