Riesentöter Forums
Racing simulators and driver education - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Racing simulators and driver education (/showthread.php?tid=2019)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- ninjabones - 12-02-2009

So, I have to admit that I know absolutely nothing about the current state of video games. However, I had a chance to try out a professional type racing simulator while at a Skip Barber school last year.  The device was incredibly realistic (at least in terms of the physics of the car handling, the visual representation of the track details, the sounds, etc).  Obviously, you can't get the seat-of-your pants g-sensing or traction sensing experience from a game. However, it really got me to wondering how useful driving simulators could be in driver development.  I've been reading about how some of the F1 teams use simulators more and more with their drivers and in chassis set-up, so I imagine that it won't be long before these types of sophisticated simulators will be within the grasp of your typical weekend warrior club racer.

So, how developed are the current entry level racing simulators and who has experience actually trying out some of the more popular programs (rFactor, Iracing, and even some of the more developed console games like  Forza Motorsport for the Xbox360)? 

Also, I thought I'd create another outlet for this obviously bored forum since we just broke 5 pages on a ridiculous thead about el pres cutting off some Hyundai driver in his GT3. 

- bobt993 - 12-02-2009

Biggest problem is road feel and G-force loading.  As you know so much of driving is feeling the car that other than a state-of-the-art simulator anything else is crap.  How about go-karts in the meantime?

- AMoore - 12-02-2009

Go-karts unfair for fatties like me!

- ninjabones - 12-02-2009

bobt993 wrote:
Quote:Biggest problem is road feel and G-force loading. As you know so much of driving is feeling the car that other than a state-of-the-art simulator anything else is crap. How about go-karts in the meantime?
I'm game... where and who's going to organize (where's that mingis fellow been lately... he set up a nice event last year)? Also, do you know if the NJMP outdoor karting facility is closed for the winter? That was definitely the most exciting karting I've ever done.

- Terry - 12-02-2009

Wait - are you saying in public that the offender was Graham?

- LouZ - 12-02-2009

Terry wrote:
Quote:Wait - are you saying in public that the offender was Graham?
Confusedhock: I'm aghast! I would have never guessed!

- StoogeMoe203 - 12-02-2009

The Lehigh Valley Grand Prix was a blast for the August monthly meeting.

I forgot how fun carts can be.  And it's indoors, so you don't have to worry about being rained on.

- delanckc - 12-02-2009

Aaron,

Join a weight loss contest for money.  Live on a diet of rice, oatmeal, small salads, hummus and exercise 4 to 5 times a week over a six month period.  Simple!!!

The DeLancey Plan = 70 lbs

Kevin

- michael lang - 12-03-2009

Glen, getting back to your subject. I participate in iRacing. I started using the simulator because one of the tracks was Summit Point & Jefferson. I figured I get alot out of it because of that one reason.

This season I have primarily focused on Shenandoah but I did one event at Summit Main this November. It also was the first time I have done Summit Point since I started using the simulator. At the start of the first session of the weekend even on the beginning laps it felt right. It felt as though I had already done a weekend's worth of sessions and I was calm, comfortable, & relaxed in the car. My focus was magnified to the point where I was able to see things on the track that I had not noticed before. By having the simulator it allowed me really push my comfort zone and start learning a few new techniques that I have wanted to try but didn't have the confidence or skill. I experienced the exact same thing when Mercedes Benz sent me to Laguna Seca a couple of weeks ago during the SLS launch (that car is really going to give alot of cars a run for its money). Just imagine going to a track that you have never even been to spectate at and driving it as if you have been going there for years. What a valuable tool to have!! (not trying to steal an analogy from another thread)

And Bob you are right, it's not seat of your pants, and you don't feel the g-forces that you feel in the car but you do get the rythm of how the track flows, the graphics are incredibly accurate, and you'd be surprised how many times you find yourself turning your head to look deeper into a turn or feeling a bump on the track surface that you hit in the simulator that you have actually hit in real life. I understand that it is really just a video game but I honestly that if I continue to go on my simulator that I will be more alert and focused, I will be a smoother driver, which will make me a faster driver. I believe this is preparing me for the next level in my driving.

Simulators are such a valuable piece of equipment regardless of whether or not you're practicing for a race or to fly an airplane or anything else that requires alot practice. If it's available to you and you can get it, than what's stopping you.

- ninjabones - 12-03-2009

Thanks Mike. Good feedback.  This whole idea was prompted by my considering running a few club races this season at tracks where I've never driven before (e.g. Lime Rock Park in April). 

Maybe running a few laps on a simulator would be more helpful than watching video. 

Anyone out there near Villanova willing to let me try one of these things out?

Glen