Riesentöter Forums
Data Acquisition - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Data Acquisition (/showthread.php?tid=2032)

- KennyB - 12-21-2009

Over the cold months I'm going to be looking for a DA set-up for next season.  A lot of stuff to go through.  If anyone has any advice/opinions re: the different products out there, I'm listening (reading the Forum).

Happy holidays to all

KB

- Bill Lehman - 12-22-2009

Ken, I suggest you go to the Rennlist forums and do a search.  There has been a lot of discussion there.  I shared a garage at the Glen with a fellow running an AiM system.  I'm no expert but was impressed with the data.  One bit was a brake pressure sensor.   http://www.aimsports.com/products/mxl-chooser.html

- George3 - 12-22-2009

Kenny,

I run the TraqMate in my Evo and had the AIM in the Diasio.  Some of "my" thoughts of each, are that the TraqMate is more user friendly and adaptable to integrate a video system (Chase-Cam), the installation is simple and can actually be transferred from car-to-car with relative ease at the track, and is my preferred DA of choice.

The AIM system, although very sophisticated, was not as user friendly, tech support in California was unclear on my questions, and the display is not bright enough in strong sunlight (IMHO).  The AIM does have the capability to add on as many sensors as you like, which to the serious racer is very important data, however, I'm not sure how important it is for the DE track enthusiast.

Understand, that the DA systems are all personal preference items and each driver will have his or her favorites.  Hope that helps a little.

- ninjabones - 12-23-2009

Ken:

Good input from George.  Other things to consider when choosing a system include what type of display you want (small LCD like Traqmate, larger LED like G2x, or full dash like IQ3, Aim Pista or Motec), how "techy" you are in terms of learning software, and who else in the club is running the same system (and of course, how much $$$ you want to spend). 

In terms of bang-for-the buck, I think the Racepak G2X is a great option.  For just about the same price as the Traqmate, you get a more sophisticated software analysis program (Datalink II), a much much better display (configurable LED display with sequential shift lights) that isn't too intrusive (and includes predictive lap times, tach, mph, lap #, etc), and more expandability.  The traqmate software is definitely more intuitive and user friendly (but not as full-featured).  Datalink (Racepak) recently added some very cool software features (including the ability to sync and view multiple video files directly in the data analysis software and a direct one-button export feature to trackvision).

One of the best ways to learn about data is to have the same set-up as some of your buddies (especially ones with similar cars).  There are 5 guys in RTR (at least who I know) that use Racepak (either G2X or IQ3).  I had a G2x in Chris' miata last season and I have an IQ3 in the 993.   It's been very helpful in terms of learning the software and to some extent sharing data. 

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably have gone with Aim Pista, but the IQ3 has been very very good and will likely surpass all of my needs for quite some time (at least until I get a cup car with Motec).  Feel free to give me a buzz to discuss.

- KennyB - 12-24-2009

Thanks to the G-men above.  This is exactly the kind of input I'm looking for.  The product websites don't always give you the full story that eventualy comes out when someone uses a product.

Bill, did the search on Rennlist first.  Many, many threads come up.  If I was a full-time data-miner, I could do it.  I'll need to focus a bit more on specifics when searching such a large base.

Have a great holiday.  After the hubbub dies down and I'm back in control of my daily activities, I'll get into researching this stuff some more, along with wheels, tires,......

KB