Riesentöter Forums
PA safety inspection...failed!! - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: PA safety inspection...failed!! (/showthread.php?tid=2092)

Pages: 1 2 3

- KennyB - 01-31-2010

Took the GT3 out to get state inspection. It failed because of hairline cracks around the drill holes on the front rotors. It seems that most of the track cars will have some of those little sub-centimeter cracks around the holes on drilled rotors, but these pass tech inspection as long as they don't go to the outer edge of the rotor. Anyone else get failed for this??

If I have to replace them, anyone have suggestions for replacements? Anybody used DeMan rotors?

- betegh9 - 01-31-2010

DeMan gets his rotors from someone else and marks them up $$$. If you like the drilled look, get the ones that arE CAST and not actually drilled. But IMHO, get slotted or solid ones. Good slotted ones are the BEST

- Wally - 01-31-2010

Hi Ken, The inspector was correct in failing your rotors.  This has always been the case with PA state inspection.  We who inspect the car for the track know that this will probably be no problem at the track since you (the driver) are a lot more aware of what is going on with your car than the average driver.  You will recognize the symptoms of a cracked rotor right away and clear the track whereas the average driver will ignore it as a nuisance.  My recommendation is to buy an inexpensive set of rotors for your car (ha, ha) to be used for daily driving and inspections.  I'm working on a venue for the VIR event tech.  More to come later.

Wally

- KennyB - 01-31-2010

Nick,

I agree with the slotted rotor preference.

Wally,

Thanks for the input. Also, thanks for helping with the VIR tech! Now, where to get cheap, slotted rotors, quick...

BTW, my son suggested that I check the actual state requirements, as he successfully argued with a shop re: failure due to some other issue which turned out to be NOT what the state actually requires. The state guide, Pub. No. 45 doesn't even address rotor cracks, only scoring greater than 0.015 inch. I will check with Eric Haas at POML, see if they would also feel compelled to fail the car. New rotors in 10 days would be a PIA, or expensive, or both!

- Bill Lehman - 01-31-2010

My Cayman had numerous cracks radiating from the holes the last time it was inspected.  There was no issue with Don Rosen Porsche passing it.  When the cracks did finally reach the edge, I found the best price for OEM rotors at Suncoast.

- betegh9 - 01-31-2010

Ken, I don't know your size, but this company makes them. You may have to contact them and/or send them one of your rotors.

http://www.colemanracing.com/index.asp

- Wally - 01-31-2010

Hi again Ken,  When I took the test (many years ago) to become a PA motor vehicle inspector, you could not have any visible cracks in either a drum or disc brake rotor.  I'm sure many dealers understand that these cracks emanating from the holes in drilled rotors are not a problem.  But as far as I know, the state does not differentiate on rotor type.  Why not look for "plain jane" rotors for regular use and save the drilled ones for the track.

Wally 
Quote:Nick,

I agree with the slotted rotor preference.

Wally,

Thanks for the input. Also, thanks for helping with the VIR tech! Now, where to get cheap, slotted rotors, quick...

BTW, my son suggested that I check the actual state requirements, as he successfully argued with a shop re: failure due to some other issue which turned out to be NOT what the state actually requires. The state guide, Pub. No. 45 doesn't even address rotor cracks, only scoring greater than 0.015 inch. I will check with Eric Haas at POML, see if they would also feel compelled to fail the car. New rotors in 10 days would be a PIA, or expensive, or both!

- George3 - 01-31-2010

F.Y.I.

If you'd like to upgrade your rotors and spend less than the OEM rotors, then a lot of the GT3 guys install the Protosport rotors for their GT3's.  They are located in NJ and can ship to you pronto.  

EDIT:
Sorry for the typo... it's spelled Protosport.

- Mike Andrews - 02-01-2010

Kenny,

Find someone else to inspect your car.  Call them and make an appointment and ask them up front their take on the small cracks.  Someone that understands the cars and what we do with them should have no problem.

I don't know where you live but if you can't find someone send me a PM and I'll give you my guys contact info.

- Darren - 02-01-2010

I've heard that Cayenne S rotors work also but I haven't confirmed that.  They are not drilled.  You could probably find out by searching Rennlist and if you do figure it out let me know Smile

(edited I put Cayman there at first I meant the Cayenne rotors.....grr why don't Porsches have numbers instead of names)