Riesentöter Forums
Tires - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Tires (/showthread.php?tid=2109)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- emayer - 01-12-2010

Gang,

Looking for some general feedback for this scenario.  As an intermediate driver it's become apparent now that brake and tire upgrades are in order.  I plan on trailering this season, so the question is whether it is worthwhile to transition to R-compound as part of the learning process or straight to slicks?

Thanks!

- Larry Herman - 01-12-2010

Do not go to slicks.  If you are just at an intermediate level and plan to do a lot of DEs, I suggest upgrading the componants on your car that will make it more reliable and more predictable.  Bigger brakes (but not too big) are always a good mod, as well as tightening up the suspension and getting a proper track alignment with the right amount of camber to maximize the grip of your car.  Also a proper racing seat that really holds you in the car is wonderful.

Remember that you are still trying to improve your DRIVING skills, and high performance changes (like slicks) make your car tougher to drive and harder to keep on the limit (i.e. much easier to just blow right past the limit and have a friendly discussion with Mr. Tire Wall).

If you really feel the need to win your DE or keep up with your buddies, I suggest that you look at The Nitto NT-01s.  They are a good R compound tire that still provides a smooth transion between grip and slide.  Plus they will last a while.  Then, when you are ready, you can consider switching to Hoosiers or MPSCs.

- AMoore - 01-12-2010

I have used the Nitto NT-01 tires.  They are noisy, but have great grip.  Cheaper than sport cups too.  Finally, like Larry stated, if you are going to put stickier tires on your car, I strongly suggest that you put in seats and harnesses.  Tires were the single biggest peformance booster.  This automatically leads to additional safety concerns.

- emayer - 01-12-2010

Thx for the great input.  I will stick with R-compounds for now.  After plenty of waffling, I plan on using the R8 initially which limits how far I can go at present with aftermarket safety gear.  We'll see what the future holds....

In the interim, I'll be off to Roos for the 5 day course at Pocono this April.  Anyone else interested?

- Jack Ruse - 01-12-2010

Eric,
great idea! Just checked out the program, it looks like great learning experience.
Talked to Bertil Roos, they will give us a 10% discount for been in RTR so if anyone else would like to go the price is $4675.50.

Here is the link if you want to check it out.
Jack

http://www.racenow.com/home.htm

- emayer - 01-12-2010

I've gotten great feedback from several sources about the program and can vouch for the 10% discount being offered. 

Jack, did you sign up?  I know this isn't the point, but it would be great for some RTR folks to block the rest of the field...  Big Grin

- Bill Lehman - 01-12-2010

I'm not sure what an R8 is.  If you meant Toyo R-888, I would reconsider.  I ran them this year, unshaved they were "squirmey", after they wore in they were O.K. Then they heat cycled out.  This all occurred in 10 track days (several advanced days).  I would go with Larry's recommendation of the Nitto NT-01 or the "re-introduced"  Toyo RA1 if it is available in your size.  That being said, I'm going to try MPSC.

- Jack Ruse - 01-12-2010

Eric,
I haven't signed up yet but I will tomorrow.

Maybe we should start a new thread and move the info over so we get more eyeballs on this subject.
Jack

- George3 - 01-12-2010

I'm not a big fan of MPSC tires.  Aside
from the $$$ price, they are terribly difficult
to get up to temperature, particularly if
you're starting off your DE on a cold Spring day.

- KennyB - 01-12-2010

I'm surprised Larry would equate MPSCs with Hoosiers, unless he's thinking of Hoosier semi-slicks (??) I thought MPSCs were just another R-compound tire, although one with a good rep except perhaps as George said, the temp issue.

I'm gonna check out the BR program Smile

kb