Riesentöter Forums
CarboTech pads anybody ? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: CarboTech pads anybody ? (/showthread.php?tid=2113)

Pages: 1 2

- rhargy - 01-11-2010

Last year was my first year in DE and I think the good news was that I outgrew the stock pads. I tried the Hawk Blue and although on track performance was good, the around town stuff was terrible, not to mention the very aggressive dusting was plain old not fun.

I have a 996TT so aftermarket availability is a bit of a problem. A buddy of mine who runs Corvettes swears by the CarboTech XP-10's for on track and around town.

Does anybody out there have any experience with this compund for both track and street use ? I know I have to sacrifice some street manners.

- fasthonda - 01-11-2010

hi.  i think i've used just about every track pad there is!  ha ha!

first, never ever ever ever x1000000000 use hawk blues on the street!  they will wreck your rotors and then deposit corrosive dust all over your wheels and tires and wreck your paint!!!!!  they are terrible when they aren't hot (like on a track).  don't do it!!!

i didn't like the carbotechs due to the fact that they wore down really fast when being raced (i've used XP8, XP9, XP10, XP12 compounds).  the XP12s worked best for me, but they still weren't 'awesome'.  the XP8 was an ok dual purpose track pad and limited street pad.  i'd guess that the XP10 might be ok for that, too.  but it won't be optimal for track use....

in my opinion, the best track pad out there is the Raybestos STxx line of pads;  i prefer the ST43.  incredible fade resistance (you can't fade them) and very very good wear characteristics.  good feel, and good initial bite (but not too much;  the ST41 has too much bite for my liking).    they are expensive, but worth it.

i think the hawk pads are my second choice (but not the blues;  i only use blues in a pinch;  they are the 'cheap, old' hawk line).  look at the HT10s or DTC lines of pads if you want hawks.

i always liked the PFC pads, and had good luck with them, too.

on George's 997 GT3, the Pagid pads were very good.  pricey, but great feel, good fade resistance, and good lifespan.

you should  really really really strongly consider having a set of track pads and street pads and swapping them out each event.  trying to do both on one set of pads compromises on both accounts.....

good luck!

- betegh9 - 01-11-2010

I've had very good luck with Porterfield pads. They are a carbon kevlar pad with a ceramic isolator. The RS-4s are for high performance street, Autocross and track weekend use, while the RS-4 is a race pad. they are very easy on rotors and dust is the lowest i've seen. The best part is that they cost less than most any other racing type pad.
You can find these at Livermore Performance in Cal........... and free shipping!!
they also sell the others..... Pagid, hawk, Raybestos, etc.

- rhargy - 01-12-2010

Thanks - I learned my lesson on the Blues.

I know I've got to go to the routine of dedicated pads at some point. I am just trying to delay the inevitable as long as I can get away with it.

Any tip on a source for the Raybestos ? I've found Livermore Performance carries the Porterfields but not the Raybestos for the Turbos.

- rhargy - 01-12-2010

Bill Boys was recommending the Porterfields as the next stop and I found Livermore. Maybe the path forward is to try the RS-4S for the next stop and then move to dedicated pads.

Thanks for the tip.

- fasthonda - 01-12-2010

rhargy wrote:
Quote:Thanks - I learned my lesson on the Blues.

I know I've got to go to the routine of dedicated pads at some point. I am just trying to delay the inevitable as long as I can get away with it.

Any tip on a source for the Raybestos ? I've found Livermore Performance carries the Porterfields but not the Raybestos for the Turbos.

hi.

i have the ST-43 Rays made for me custom from porterfield. you just tell them the pad shape # and they will make anything! (the caliper i use on the probe as part of my ReidSpeed BBK is from a Mazda Millenia S sedan!).

- George3 - 01-12-2010

I used the CarboTech XP10's/XP8's on my Subaru WRX with excellent results.
Then as Todd mentioned, I used the Pagid Yellow on my GT3 with stunning results.

Not sure why I don't use the Raybestos on my Evo, but I'm getting incredible stopping power on the Evo with XP12 fronts and XP10's rear with StopTech BBK.

I think the key to longer pad wear is better brake cooling.  Consider a brake duct cooling kit.  I have a Forge kit on the Evo.

- betegh9 - 01-12-2010

George3 wrote:
Quote:

I used the CarboTech XP10's/XP8's on my Subaru WRX with excellent results.
Then as Todd mentioned, I used the Pagid Yellow on my GT3 with stunning results.

Not sure why I don't use the Raybestos on my Evo, but I'm getting incredible stopping power on the Evo with XP12 fronts and XP10's rear with StopTech BBK.

I think the key to longer pad wear is better brake cooling. Consider a brake duct cooling kit. I have a Forge kit on the Evo.

Good point George.............. brake cooling is quite important. When I replaced my puny calipers and rotors to the 930 turbo ones, I also installed a "Cool brake" duct system. Fortunately I've had NO problems since, but part of the answer was that the MASS of the new rotors were able to absorb much of the heat.

- Darren - 01-12-2010

rhargy wrote
Quote:Does anybody out there have any experience with this compund for both track and street use ? I know I have to sacrifice some street manners.
When used to drive my 996 on the street, for 4 years, I always ran track pads. The Carbotechs are pretty good -- most of the time I was using PFC97's. Eventually I found that as I kept going faster, eventually the PFC's would cause too much heat on the track and cause the fluid to boil. I switched back to Pagids and no issues.

Track pads will be noisy on the street. They will be very noisy. The good thing about the Carbotechs and PFCs (both carbon metallic pads and pretty similar) is that they have great initial cold bite so they are fine in the rain on the street.

I always tell people that brake pads are a lifestyle choice -- what works for you might not work well for someone else because of braking technique. The best thing to do is start trying stuff out.

- George3 - 01-12-2010

Darren wrote:
Quote:Track pads will be noisy on the street. They will be very noisy. The good thing about the Carbotechs and PFCs (both carbon metallic pads and pretty similar) is that they have great initial cold bite so they are fine in the rain on the street.

I occasionally drive my Evo on the street... which are fitted with the
CarboTech XP12/XP10 pads. Let me tell you, they are extremely
noisy in traffic. Scares children & makes dogs bark.