Riesentöter Forums
A New Season - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Club Racing (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: A New Season (/showthread.php?tid=2123)

- jgiannone - 02-09-2010

With the 2010 Club Race season just around the corner, I thought I 'd put out a note to all of those who have contemplated participation, but as of yet have not yet taken the next step.  This year, Lime Rock will be the first "local" event in late April. Apparently, the Lime Rock noise restrictions have been lifted this year, which makes it easier to go when you don't have to swap out mufflers. After that, The Glen in late May is one of the premier events on the calendar, and where it's usually very well atttended, it always seems like there so much room there given the track length. VIR in June....a long haul but it's the dead of summer. Would you rather be at work that Thursday or towing? At least an expectation of good weather. Closer to home again, in late August is Thunderbolt, a track that many have spent a lot of time becoming familiar with, the familiarity factor being key in one's first race. 

I always here a lot of excuses as to why someone doesn't want to do this. "My car isn't competitive" usually being number one. To me, that's irrelevant...for this venue. In any given class, the range in performance from the fastest car to the slowest is 3 seconds per lap.  The range of driver competency is 3 seconds per lap. My point is, if you want to prove something, this is not the venue to do it. The disparities are too great.  Go race in a spec series. Conversely, some of the best battles you'll have are with cars out of your class; someone a class or two down who can really drive, and someone a class or two up who is struggling.  It's all great fun.

As to the potential for car damage, I would venture to say that from what I've seen the last few years, your liklihood of damage is almost as great in a DE as it is in CR, if you approach it properly. Our 13/13 Rule helps considerably in policing the "idiot factor'.

Cost is a little bit more, granted, but the fun quotient goes off the chart.

If it sounds like I'm recruiting, I am. I hate to see anyone not having as much fun as they possibly can.

If you have any questions, chime in.

- Mitch Reading - 02-18-2010

Well said John G. 

Looking forward to seeing more RTR folks at the Club Race weekends.

If i'm there, I'm always glad to help out a local face.

Mitch Reading

- bobt993 - 02-18-2010

Mitch and John are great stable mates at the track during race weekends.  Will certainly make the time enjoyable. Smile

- CarreraSupercharged - 02-24-2010

Newby here,...

Please forgive my ignorance,.. but what is the difference between Club Racing and DE?  Do you need to be certified/accredited for Club Racing?

Stephan

Thanks

- AMoore - 02-24-2010

Club racing is actual racing in which drivers compete against each other to get to the checkered flag first. 

DE is more controlled.  Drivers take their cars out on the track for a twenty to thirty minute session, 4 or five times during a day.  Drivers only pass each other with permission from the driver being overtaken, and the checkered flag simply means that the session is over.  There are no winners. In DE, drivers run with drivers of similar skill levels.  Newbies are instructed until they are competent to drive alone.

- Darren - 02-24-2010

I'd like to do one PCA race and hang out with you guys, maybe I'll try to work that into my schedule this year.  The classing is confusing for my car but I think I can run in GT3R.

- jgiannone - 02-25-2010

Great to hear Darren.  As to the class, GT3 sounds right. I assure you that at most venues, there would be 12 cars within a second or two per lap of you to run against........H-Class Caymens and 964 Cups, I-class 996's, J-class GT3's and 993 TT's, some GTC1's, maybe a GTC2, and of course other GT2, 3, and 4 class cars. Personally, and I know others feel the same, our 90 minute enduros on Sunday are the focal point of the weekend.  You get to see how an event plays out over time, how a pitstop can help or hurt, how cautions play in...all in all a great experience.