Riesentöter Forums
GT3 VS Z06 - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: GT3 VS Z06 (/showthread.php?tid=214)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

- Brian Minkin - 01-01-2007

This is a thread from another forum about a Z06 owner who buys a GT3 and starts to track it.  Very interesting comparision.  A lot can be learned from the thread.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91710

- Wellardmac - 01-01-2007

Interesting read... I pased it onto my Corvette/Camero friends. Smile

- Wally - 01-01-2007

Yes, an interesting read.  But this guy must be in the green or blue group.

I, and all the other Corvette drivers that run with us (save one) turn off

the stability control because it hampers your ability to drive fast.  Any fool

who "jerks" the wheel at speed with or without stability control is going to

wind up in the weeds.  I agree, the GT3 is the better car, made for the track,

but at twice the price of many cars on the track, your bang for the buck is not

there.

As I stated above, A lot can be learned from this thread.  Smooth is the key word no matter what your ride is.

- Larry Herman - 01-01-2007

Brian Minkin wrote:
Quote:As I stated above, A lot can be learned from this thread. Smooth is the key word no matter what your ride is.
It also proves that there are a lot of people out there going quickly without a real understanding of how to properly drive a car. They are being saved by easy to drive cars and advanced stability management systems.

- Wellardmac - 01-01-2007

Yeah, that bit did occur to me. His account was pretty scary from that perspective.

I cant imagine what it is like to drive with a stability management system. Cool  In my car I am the stability management system. Tongue  Seriously though I think if he had encountered the outstanding instruction we have in our DE program he would have started from the beginning learning to be smooth. 

Another point I got from the thread is that when you switch rides, no matter how much experience you have, you need to back down and learn how that car responds to inputs before you notch it up to your usual track speed.  (I think this guy was a fairly expereinced track driver in the ZO6 but he had to back it down to 40%.) I have even experienced strange behavior from modifications to the car I was used to.  Any time you change something on the car or go to a different car you need to step it down.  If you dont you will stuff it into something.

- smankow - 01-02-2007

I have psm in my car and have driven both with it on and off.  Personally, I couldn't tell the difference othen than a liitle more drift with it off.  The only time I really ever feel it is in the rain.  I've been told that the light comes on in turns on the track, but I don't feel its intervention.

With this in mind, I keep it on as a safety feature.  Plus, even when  it's off, it would be activated by hitting the brake.  I do turn it off for autocross, though.

Steve

- hoosierdaddy - 01-02-2007

I went to the four day Bondurant school. The first two days were in a corvette. The school forbade the stability management system to be turned off. As a result, I do not think I learned very much except the wierd sounds the car made when it was trying to keep you from driving the car at anything remotely near  slip. A waste of time and money imho.

The second two days were in formula fords. Now THAT was a learning experience. The definition of seat of the pants driving, and a good lesson on how much quicker you can drive using finesse and smoothness. To drive those little guys with anything else is an agricultural experience, but get it right, and they are quick.

At our DE's in the Mid South Region we try to discourage the use of PSM, but this is only an advisement. A lot of the drivers, especially the newer ones, want to keep it on for the secutiry. Oh well.

- stentech1 - 01-03-2007

I would like to know if the turbo he was faster than in his gt3 was running on 3 or 4 cylinders? By the way Steve M. PSM when it is off is only activated under braking. Try some agressive trail braking and you will feel it activate. Then proptly pit and change your shorts. It is not an optimum time for it to activate but it saves alot of body shop expenses when drivers perform incorrect or overly agressive braking opperations.