Riesentöter Forums
GT3 VS Z06 - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: GT3 VS Z06 (/showthread.php?tid=214)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

- ccm911 - 01-09-2007

Last time I checked, most F1 drivers came up through the cart circuit.  See Michael Schumacher........

- catchacab - 01-09-2007

Pansy

Support

Mechanicals

- ccm911 - 01-09-2007

Agreed fully!

- Mike Andrews - 01-09-2007

I think you guys are missing the bigger picture.

Do you drive cars with power steering?  How about power brakes?  Ok, how about gearboxes with syncros in them?  These are all drivers aides that came about as the technology (and thinking) allowed it.

For the masses PSM and traction aides are a good thing.  Heck, for pretty much everyone involved they are a good thing.  Would some of us prefer to be able to go out and drive a car that didn't think or make corrections for us.  Yep.  It all comes down to what we want out of our driving experience.  When I'm in my daily driver I want the temp set at 68 (via climate control), the radio set at a specific channel (XM), the transmission to shift for me (or let me if I decise to), and if I were to manage to get into a turn to fast or run over some black ice or any other reason that could get into stabilty management, I want it to do that for me as well.  Who wouldn't.

When I'm on the track, if I want to be able to hang the back out then I should be able to do so.  And that's why they have the off switch. 

- ccm911 - 01-09-2007

I agree with your perspective.  My street car has ABS, Traction control, and - GASP - an automatic transmission.  As well as heated seats, a decent stereo and a bunch more toys.  But that is my daily driver.

My 911 and motorcycle(at least when it is done) have none of that.  And that is a good thing.

There is a lot to be said for steering with the gas pedal or throttle.

- dmano - 01-09-2007

Well I have none of this stuff in my car, PSM, Power brakes, traction control, anti skid, sycros, hydraulic clutch, fly by wire, injection bla bla bla.  and it goes like hell and it is the most fun car I have ever had on the track. Nothing like tossing around 3895 Lbs of 1967 El Camino on the track and going like stink. Those of you who saw me understand, it all comes down to being smooth and knowing the limits "yours and the cars"

- ccm911 - 01-09-2007

I saw your truck in action at the autocross, and it changed my view significantly on "American Muscle".  Hot damn!  That looked like fun.  Keep up the good work.

- betegh9 - 01-09-2007

Those F-1 cars have the technology to drive by wire from the pits, and those drivers are there to fool the audience. Would you go to see a race if there are no drivers in them? If your answer is yes, then you might as well go watch slot car races........and they are more interesting than F-1.

- catchacab - 01-09-2007

Mike Andrews wrote:
Quote:I think you guys are missing the bigger picture.

Do you drive cars with power steering? How about power brakes? Ok, how about gearboxes with syncros in them? These are all drivers aides that came about as the technology (and thinking) allowed it.

For the masses PSM and traction aides are a good thing. Heck, for pretty much everyone involved they are a good thing. Would some of us prefer to be able to go out and drive a car that didn't think or make corrections for us. Yep. It all comes down to what we want out of our driving experience. When I'm in my daily driver I want the temp set at 68 (via climate control), the radio set at a specific channel (XM), the transmission to shift for me (or let me if I decise to), and if I were to manage to get into a turn to fast or run over some black ice or any other reason that could get into stabilty management, I want it to do that for me as well. Who wouldn't.

When I'm on the track, if I want to be able to hang the back out then I should be able to do so. And that's why they have the off switch.

The difference is street vs track, and why we are at the track.

On the street, we are generally driving to get somewhere. I have PSM on my daily drivers (996 and Cayenne). My reason for having them is in case of an unexpected situation arising (uncontrolled environment). I know two people who spun Boxsters on the street. (They are not PCAers).

On the track, at least for DE, we are there for fun, and to learn how to drive our cars better. I feel that electronic aids (PSM) create a false sense of security, and that if you need and use them to keep yourself on the track, you are cheating yourself. I also believe that many of these drivers don't realize the when they are activating PSM, can excessively exceed their ability and their car's limit with undesirable results.

- betegh9 - 01-10-2007

dido!Smile