Riesentöter Forums
GT3 VS Z06 - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: GT3 VS Z06 (/showthread.php?tid=214)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

- catchacab - 01-12-2007

Chris,

I was waiting for you to chyme in.

- ccm911 - 01-12-2007

catchacab wrote:
Quote:Chris,

I was waiting for you to chyme in.

Actually, I was trying to hold off. A buddy of mine used to race a Corvette Challenge car(ex Hurley Haywood), so I had a lot of exposure to these cars. Why is it that after all these years, the brakes continue to be the weak link on Corvettes?

And why do the big three in Detoit continually scratch their collective heads wondering why guys like us refuse to buy their products?

Just amazing!!!

- catchacab - 01-12-2007

Chris,

Are you feeling well?

Is that it?

There must be more!Big Grin

- stentech1 - 01-12-2007

Instructors must understand the function of these systems and properly convey this information to their students so they understand their mistakes before they make a mistake that psm cant correct. There is a very good article in the most recent Pano on these systems.

An example of a time where Psm Slows a competent driver is during slightly un-weighted trail breaking maneuvers. Psm comes on and full power is not there when the throttle is put down making a good driver slower. But this is still a much faster way around the track than spinning off the track. This is a severe maneuver and the ecm only can interpret what sensors tell it. So the psm system acts according to programming not who is behind the wheel.

- Tony356993 - 01-12-2007

Quote:[size=3]As the student’s speed picks up, and when 175lbs of ballast is lost

Who cut me in half Confusedhock:[/size]

Quote:What about a great driver in a 914-4?  Do you keep him in blue because his car isn't fast on the straights, but catches them in the corners?  Do you let him run solo in blue from the beginning of the event?
If the best driver in the region was driving the 914 or a 356 should that driver be running with the red group? That is where he/she drives with their 996. Is that safe?

Run group color has to do with safety and well as the driver's ability. Larry ,as always, is dead on. I'm sure that 10 years ago the cars in the white/black run group did not have the lap times that they do today.
Quote:It is up to an aware instructor corps to separate the car from the driver, and make their decisions based purely upon ability.
I have driven with pretty fast drivers that I thought were NOT ready to move to white and NOT ready to move to black. They were fast, but the basic building blocks were not firmly established. Are you hitting EVERY apex? Is your line consistent? Passing folks does not make you a good or safe driver.

I have also driven with very good blue students that did not have the proper set up on their car and it prevented them from "keeping up with the Jone's"

If you are promoted to the next highest group and are getting passed & lapped by the field, are you having fun? If the fun is in what color wrist band you are wearing, I'm not understanding?

- catchacab - 01-12-2007

Tony356993 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:What about a great driver in a 914-4? Do you keep him in blue because his car isn't fast on the straights, but catches them in the corners? Do you let him run solo in blue from the beginning of the event?
If the best driver in the region was driving the 914 or a 356 should that driver be running with the red group? That is where he/she drives with their 996. Is that safe?

Run group color has to do with safety and well as the driver's ability. Larry ,as always, is dead on. I'm sure that 10 years ago the cars in the white/black run group did not have the lap times that they do today.
Quote:It is up to an aware instructor corps to separate the car from the driver, and make their decisions based purely upon ability.
I have driven with pretty fast drivers that I thought were NOT ready to move to white and NOT ready to move to black. They were fast, but the basic building blocks were not firmly established. Are you hitting EVERY apex? Is your line consistent? Passing folks does not make you a good or safe driver.

I have also driven with very good blue students that did not have the proper set up on their car and it prevented them from "keeping up with the Jone's"

If you are promoted to the next highest group and are getting passed & lapped by the field, are you having fun? If the fun is in what color wrist band you are wearing, I'm not understanding?

TICK, TICK TICK, TICK, TICK, TICK, TICK, TICK, TICK, TICK, TICK, TICK, TICK, TICK......

- Brian Minkin - 01-12-2007

I have instructed students who have elected to leave the PSM on in the cars.  You can feel the car doing bad things before it kicks in.  Between the seat of your pants feeling and visual observation you can advise the student what they are doing wrong.  However I have found that because the car saved them from taking corrective action they are more likely to repeat the mistake again and agian compared to the student who does not use PSM.  Their is a definite learning experience from those OH SH_T moments. The lack of throttle response after it kicks in is the most frightening part.  If you drive a car with PSM very hard and make a mistake I do not think there is anyway to save it.  I am still feeling my way through this issue but as someone that learned to drive at speed without it I am leaning towards suggesting that a student turn it off early in their high speed driving career. 

- Brian Minkin - 01-12-2007

Tony,

I suppose you can speak from first hand experience. Driving the Mini in black at Summit was this type of situation.  I do think it was safe as you are track aware and the other drivers in the run group are as well. But the fun element sure is deflated when you have to give more passing points then shifts.

Quote:I suppose you can speak from first hand experience. Driving the Mini in black at Summit was this type of situation
Very true. And I went down to the white run group after one run in black.