Riesentöter Forums
New Member Needs Help - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Tech (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Ask the Tech Chair (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: New Member Needs Help (/showthread.php?tid=2143)

Pages: 1 2

- mick.uranko - 02-05-2010

Not sure if this is the correct section to start this thread so I apologize in advance.  My name is Mick Uranko and I am 27 from Pottsville and the newest member of Riesentoter. 

My rear windshield cracked and I need to replace it.  I found a replacement vinyl window online and I intend on having a trusted local upolstry shop install the new window. (Unless someone has a cheaper trusted connection)  I want to cut down on costs for labor so I was looking into doing the removal and reinstallation of the soft top.  I have reviewed the instructions but could use some help.  If anyone would like to help me remove and reinstall my soft top please let me know.  I don't have a problem with traveling to your garage and since I am from Pottsville I will definitely have no problem supplying the Yuengling. Cool  Driving back home to Pottsville without a top in the winter might be interesting but thats what the heater is for right haha.

I don't feel comfortable doing this by myself so I figured I would ask the rest of the members in the club for help.  Thanks a lot in advance and I hope to hear from you all soon.

-Mick Uranko

- syncspeedinc - 02-06-2010

Hi Mick,

I am in the middle of a Spec Boxster build and I have a soft top on the car that I will not need and I was going to sell. If you are interested, I will be happy to show you how to get it off and on the car. The top is in great shape with a clear back window.

- mick.uranko - 02-06-2010

Thank you for your reply and offering to show me how to remove the top.  I spoke with my friend who works for an insurance company and he said that I could claim the rear window under other than collision.  I am going to call my insurance company on Monday and see if I can go that route.  At this point that is my cheapest option.  I will keep you posted on how I make out.

Thanks again

- Larry Herman - 02-06-2010

Good luck with it Mick, and remember - Porsches and "cheap" usually do not go together. :?

- mick.uranko - 02-06-2010

Thanks Larry haha yea you are right.  The next option is to purchase a replacement window and have an upolstry shop complete the work.  Like I mentioned in the first post I would need help removing the top from the frame.  I read that the entire assembly top/frame is only held on by a few bolts.  That shouldn't be that difficult to remove but I doubt that the upolstry shop will work on the top attached to the assembly.

- michael lang - 02-08-2010

Larry Herman wrote:
Quote:Porsches and "cheap" (definitely) do not go together. :?

in this case. If you haven't done this job before, you might want to reconsider. Don't mess around, take "syncspeedinc" up on his offer of help.

- syncspeedinc - 02-08-2010

Just to be clear here, I was including the frame with the top so it is really just a matter of unbolting and bolting back in.

- mick.uranko - 02-09-2010

Hey how's it going guys?  I got an update for you all.. I met with my insurance company during lunch to go over the damage.  Good news it is covered in my policy and I only have to pay my $100 deductible.  I explained to the guy that since the window is sewn in it's a pretty lengthly job.  He agreed and even mentioned that they might replaced the whole top.  I was definitely excited to hear that.  It's not everyday where you get a new top for $100.  He called a shop that the insurance company recommends for an estimate and the guy said that they can do the work without needing a new top.  The price the he quoted me at was very very low which made me concerned.  This is the first claim I have ever made so the insurance rep did explain all of my options.  He also stated that this is just a starting point and that if I go to the shop and don't get a good vibe off the guy I could take it somewhere else.

In the mean time I want to find out from other shops what they recommend.  Obviously the dealership is going to say nope replace the whole top but I need other shop's opinions.  I don't have to take it to the recommended shop and if lets just say two other shops tell me that I should have the top replaced then the insurance company said they will cover it.  Does any member know of any shops that have expierence working on our cars that could give me an estimate/opinoon?

Thanks again for your help.

- mick.uranko - 02-17-2010

Just a quick update... My insurance company agreed to replace my entire top.  I decided to go with the glass rear window option so I can use the factory rear defroster.  I know that the glass is a smaller opening and it may make engine acess more difficult but I perfer the glass over the plastic.  In my opinion it upgrades the look.  Thanks to all that have helped me. The name of the shop that is doing the work is Rayco of Allentown. 

I will post up some pictures when I get the car back.

- Larry Herman - 02-17-2010

Rayco, huh.  A Rayco shop on Bustleton Ave in Philly put a new top on my '66 Triumph Spitfire in like 1974 or 5.  Did a good job too.  Geez that was a while ago.