Riesentöter Forums
NJMP Thunderbolt (Schattenbaum), March 20-21st - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: NJMP Thunderbolt (Schattenbaum), March 20-21st (/showthread.php?tid=2165)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

- ninjabones - 03-22-2010

Wink

You definitely smoothed out the install from what I saw in Larry's garage. The sheet metal screws through the flares (and nearly through to the tires), the wooden windows, and the rear bumper not meeting up with the rear rockers was a bit suspect... but you definitely got her in shape since then. I figured it was all temporary for fitment and that you were were going to pop-rivet the flares and stretch the rear bumper out.  Those wooden windows are classic though....  Did you fab a bracket or something to hold the stocker bumper out so far?

- bobt993 - 03-22-2010

ahh , yes,  when you trailer the car in the rain, it makes sense to keep the wet stuff out of the car.  Fenders were temp'd on for tire fitment only and suspension setup.   Another 20 hours for installing.  I now have to finish the windshield and rear plexi.  Making my own rear screen since the stuff on the market is too thin. Wink

- George3 - 03-23-2010

ninjabones wrote:
Quote:. . . Several RTR folks in attendance, including six of us testing/tuning dramatically new setups (George B in the ReidSpeed Evo, Bob T in the newly wide-bodied and soon-to-be GTS3-dominating 993, Darren M in the Mad Max 996, Jeff C sporting new JRZs in his 993, Dan Y in the Dawe-ized regeared and ear piercing bionic 911, and of course my basically "stock" 993 aka Precious).

A nice time was had by all. The weather was frickin' fabulous... we couldn't ask for more.
We were all very fortunate... it being this early in the season.

Sorry I couldn't socialize with you guys a lot more, but Todd and I had our hands full with
the ReidSpeed Evo and my student. There was some serious test-n-tuning being done on
the car.

Glen is right, I had a ton of major mods done to the Evo over the long cold winter. Anytime
that much work is done to a car at one time and without the opportunity to test each item
individually, magnifies the amount of problems you can expect on your first day out on
the track.

Early Saturday seemed like we were plugging one dike hole after another, with the new
suspension, aero bits, engine mods, etc. But we were able to hold it together and
successfully complete the weekend.

Thanks to Dan, Dan, Glen, Bob, Art, Beth, Graham, Nick, and all the others that stopped
by to say hello and offer advice. Sorry we had our hands full at the time, and sorry if I
omitted anyone. And of course, a boatload of thanks goes out to Todd. Hey, Bob and
Darren... your cars looked and drove awesome! Congrats!

By the end of Sunday the Evo ran a weekend best 1:37 with the chicane, on old cut and
corded tires, low boost and with Todd in the car as ballast ( Smile ). We were pretty satisfied
with the results for the first event out of the garage!! Cool

Now, it's back to the shop this week for some more suspension and tuning tweaks before
I can keep up with Dan and Glen. Some nice driving there, guys!

- Darren - 03-23-2010

Needs vortex generators Smile

- George3 - 03-23-2010

Darren wrote:
Quote:Needs vortex generators Smile

I've done a bit of research on those. Several papers and studies have been done on
the effects of a VG on an Evo body. Besides the fact that they look rice, they are about
equal to a good wax job on the car.

bobt993 wrote:
Quote:. . . . I was awarded a black flag running in Red with passing everywhere with a point by. I think the explanation was "too aggressive" :X. If there is anyone in that group that felt that way then accept my apology as it was not intentional.

Yes, I was awarded the Black Flag as well, for taking a pass with a point-by in the corner.
The Red Run Group had "Extended Passing in effect!"

Duh, isn't that what we're supposed to do?

Hey PCA... are you listening?

- emayer - 03-23-2010

The Evo is freakin' awesome George.  Talk about a Dr. Jeckel/ Mr. Hyde transformation!

Good luck this season.  Sounds like the RTR folks are off to a great start!

- Gene - 03-23-2010

While the event was great, it was not an auspicious beginning to the season for me... I recently purchased the infamous blue PTE Integra from Darren, and it was running fantastic right until the motor let go in a giant spy hunter smokescreen down the front straight.  Fortunately the damage shouldn't be too bad, and I was able to get the car parked without causing an incident.  Sorry for screwing up the Sunday afternoon schedule with the clean-up effort.

I also managed to get black flagged for a late pass... late passes are pretty common with that car though... I don't have a lot of motor to overhaul people on the straights Tongue

- Brian Minkin - 03-23-2010

Wow.  Black Flags at a Schattenbaum event. I do not think I have ever seen a Black Flag given to an individual driver at one of their events. I guess they are trying to improve their image. Tongue

- Gene - 03-23-2010

Brian Minkin wrote:
Quote:Wow. Black Flags at a Schattenbaum event. I do not think I have ever seen a Black Flag given to an individual driver at one of their events. I guess they are trying to improve their image. Tongue
Now all they need is some blue flags and they'll be set Wink

- betegh9 - 03-23-2010

George,
Nasa NE has a few VERY, very fasr EVOS.  They race in the GTS unlimited.  Go and visit with them......... Why re invent the wheel?
Sorry we didn't spent more time together........I realize you were busy and I with NNJR friends as well as RTR guys.  I wound up instructing green as well as blue and white.  I'd like to ride with you sometime to get some pointers too.
Nick[line]