Riesentöter Forums
Monticello Motor Club - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Monticello Motor Club (/showthread.php?tid=2210)

Pages: 1 2

- Lainey - 04-01-2010

Has anybody been up to MMC, if so, what is the track is like? I'm going up on May 20th & 21st with the Connecticut Valley PCA (DE). Comments so far - not a lot of room for run off AKA error (guard rails similar to the Glen), lots of blind off camber turns, big long course.... nice straights.

- 997S22 - 04-03-2010

Been there, done that.  Great facility.  Track is long, I think like 3.5 miles if doing full circuit (most desirable), some challenging corners and a very long, high speed back straight with a slight kink. I really enjoyed it.  I am signed up for a couple days there this year with SCDA, and am considering the event you plan to attend. 

Personally I think it is much more driver friendly and less intimidating than Watkins Glen with all that blue guardrail in your face in key corners.

Look at pics here http://www.drivemmc.com/ the long straight is on the right. The one place drivers that who aren't paying attention get in trouble is the kink on the left side that is off camber.  The day I was there someone rolled at that kink, they went over that in the drivers meeting if you were awake... Also had a couple people spin or go off in the hairpin following that corner (mid-left of photo) but it shouldn't be a problem if you treat as a slow speed corner.  Like most tracks, helps if you take an instructor familiar with the track with you the first session - there are a lot of turns so it takes pretty much a full session or more to get the track picture in memory.

From this link http://www.monticellomotorclub.com/  go "The Track" then "TrackMap" shows map rotated 90 degrees clockwise from the photo in 1st link.  They run the track clockwise on the outer portions in the full track configuration.

Good luck! I think you will like it!

- betegh9 - 04-04-2010

Lainey wrote:
Quote:Has anybody been up to MMC, if so, what is the track is like? I'm going up on May 20th & 21st with the Connecticut Valley PCA (DE). Comments so far - not a lot of room for run off AKA error (guard rails similar to the Glen), lots of blind off camber turns, big long course.... nice straights.

Lainey,

I've been there too. Unless you can memorize the track like an experienced autocrosser, it will take at least 2 sessions to memorize the track and know where you are at any point in time before getting up to speed. There are 24 turns with many combinations of increasing and decreasing turns, and you end up using all the gears except for 1st. The place is a country club, manicured as such and most would envy their "temporary tent" where registration and meetings take place. No garages as of yet, but for a small membership fee (ha ha!) you will be able to keep your car there, fly in, drive, and be back home for dinner.Big Grin

Great track and very chalenging. I went off in the tight left hander after the long straight...... I FORGOT that it was there, I knew that I wouldn't be able to make it at the speed I was carying, so I drove it off onto the grass and back on on the other side. It actually became a short cut........... too bad I couldn't do it in an ATV.Confusedhock:

- Lainey - 04-04-2010

Thanks so much for the guidance!! Will check out the links and make sure I prepare -- really looking forward to it...

- 997S22 - 05-05-2010

Lainey - incase you missed this additional map with turn numbers and videos on CVR site.

http://www.cvrpca.org/docs/de/monticello/index.html

- 997S22 - 05-18-2010

Lainey

Was at MMC again yesterday.  Thought I would pass along some pointers while fresh in my memory.  I will refer to corners as numbered in CVR map linked below.   Note these comments are for this map which shows 22 turns - various versions show 18 - 22 turns for the same full course.  I will only comment on the corners that most people have trouble with. 

Turn 6 - late apex this turn, then get far left with left wheel up to, or partially on, drainage grate (going with wheel completely on grate is OK but unsettles car a bit so I usually don't put full wheel on grate) - you need to do this to set up turn 7 - it will be more clear when you see it, but give up turn 6 to get through turn 7 faster on a better line.

Turn 9 - most people seem to end up going diagonally across track straight line from turn 8 to turn in cone at turn 9.  Better line is to get to left side a ways before the turn in cone to better set up for turn 9 which is a hard right hander

Turn 12 - Set up for this turn by getting 2/3rds to full right at turn in cone, then smoothly & progressively move to left (inside) through the entire turn, reaching full left at apex of this progressive turn in is more important than whether you prefer to enter the turn from 2/3 or full right (2/3 seems fastest with grippy tires)

Turn 13 - many advanced drivers dive straight at apex cone from left side approach, brake hard and rotate car to turn 14.  If not comfortable with that, take a more typical arc through corner.  Either way you don't need or want to go all the way out to track out cone between turns 13 & 14 - about 2/3's of the way is plenty.

Turns 16 & 17- where 17 is on the map you make a hard left followed very quickly by a hard right that breaks downhill.  The right hander comes up on you fast and is missed by many drivers.  If you are following closely you will often get blinded by a dust cloud as the driver in front of you puts 2 wheels in the dirt on inside of the right hander.  This is another pair of turns where it is best and quickest to give away the first turn to set up the 2nd - the right hander onto the straight.  The best approach is: late apex at end of long back straight (turn 16) get to far right going up the short uphill between 16 & 17, late apex the left hander and get far left to set up the right hander.  Again this is a very quick series of turns, and many cars will be doing 140+ at end of long back straight coming into this right-left-right series - take it easy through here the 1st couple laps until you get familiar with it.

Turn 20 - this is the fast, off-camber kink, approach with caution, cars have rolled here.  Get far right approaching the kink, ease throttle or touch brakes before turn in (depending on car and entry speed) straighten out the kink as much as possible by going tight up to apex cone ( I drive on the curb, it is pretty smooth).  I believe the roll risk is if you lose it or lift and spin to the outside, the car is likely to roll if it hits the grass sideways as you go off the track - not an overly challenging turn if you just approach with caution until familiar with it.

Turn 22 - fastest line for a car with HP seems to be straight line from turn 21 to turn in cone at turn 22, brake hard, rotate and get back on gas onto the pit straight.  Lower HP or not comfortable with rotating car - then go straight from 21 to brake zone sign 1 or 2  and follow normal arc through this very hard, very slow right hander.  No matter how you choose to do it, SLOW DOWN - it is a very tight turn with little run off if you screw up.  You are now back at pit row.

These suggestions will make more sense to you after a session or 2, you may want to print them out with the map and take with you to review after you have done a couple sessions.  The track is complex enough you will probably want to learn the course and basic line the first couple of sessions and then refine your line with these suggestions. The suggestions are consistent with and incorporate input from resident instructor who led advanced driver class yesterday.

Have fun!

Map http://www.cvrpca.org/docs/de/monticello/mmc_track_map.pdf

Note - not all maps use them same corner numbering - these comments pertain to the "22 corner maps"

- stentech1 - 05-19-2010

Perhaps an event may be in the RTR future.

- asher681 - 05-20-2010

Steve, great idea...... Keep them comming !!!!! 

How about a trip to Mid Ohio next year with the Potomac Region ????  Joe

- 997S22 - 05-20-2010

stentech1 wrote:
Quote:Perhaps an event may be in the RTR future.

Strongly recommend RTR try Monticello event - long challenging track, a lot closer than Watkins Glen. Grounds are landscaped like a coutry club, strong safety features - run outs and fencing, etc., facilities are still being developed.

I have not stayed there over night or gone out for meals - it is close enough for me from CT that I have been doing 1 day events as day trips. So I can't comment with experience on lodging and restaurants, but my sense is fewer and less attractive options than the Glen. I'll try to check into that aspect.

- Lainey - 05-20-2010

Well, I had to pull out of MMC due to an over-extended schedule - also our friend Jim was paid up and waitlisted for like 6 weeks and never got in.  I really would like to give the track a try one of these days.  Appreciate the direction and review of the turns...  really sorry I couldn't make it.

There are a few very nice places to stay, and of course the facilities are top notch on track.  Maybe next year.... Steve, I will keep my fingers crossed!!