Riesentöter Forums
Vendor recommendation? - RS Barn - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Model-Specific (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: 924/931/944/951/968 (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Thread: Vendor recommendation? - RS Barn (/showthread.php?tid=2290)

- DJbrand1 - 07-07-2010

Has anyone used or know anyone that has had any experience with RS Barn in Newtown,  Bucks County?

I am going to have my 944 Turbo S, tech inspected, aligned, and get an overall assessment there shortly.

http://www.rsbarn.com/index.html

- Larry Herman - 07-09-2010

I would recommend them.  Pete is knowledgeable and easy to deal with.

- DJbrand1 - 07-16-2010

Took the 88 944 Turbo S,  there for alignment and tech inspection for Watkins Glen.

Ended up:

4 Corner alignment to rs specs
New power steering hose - old one was rubbing and rerouted the new one
Turbo Cup Brake Bias valve (5/33) - They list it as Turbo Cup ABS regulator
      - Full brake system flush with new fluid
21-25psi racing radiator cap
New Clutch hose
New DME Relay - Need to find out why they replaced this. They say they go bad often, but I never heard of it.

They threw in the tech inspection.

Came out to around $700.  Going to pick it up tomorrow. Pete and Max seem like pretty good guys, they want to go over everything they did on it.

Mind you, I picked this car up in January. It has 42k miles on it. I have done the basics (new plugs, wires, filters, dist. cap, fluids, stainless steel brake lines) already. Picked up a spare set of brake pads.

What do you guys think?

- Brian Minkin - 07-16-2010

DME is stamped with a manufacture date and when they go the car will not start. As a rule most shops recommend replacing the DME when it is 10 or more years old. Since the old one still works keep it as a spare in the glove box. DME failures are common.

- DJbrand1 - 07-20-2010

Yeah, it was replaced with 993 stamped part number. Clutch is a lot smoother after they finessed it. The alignment feels good, although the steering wheel is a bit off center when the car is tracking straight. Told me to swing by and they'll center it up.

- 968SilverCab - 07-22-2010

I have had the priviledge of knowing Pete for more than 6 years since the 968 Celebration in Great Falls VA. That was when I found out that RS Barn is only a couple of miles from my home. He went over my car thoroughly and performed all of the maintenance that I thought was being taken care of, by my otherwise "competent" mechanic who didn't know about or wouldn't take the time to review. In the interest of full disclosure, Pete and I worked together to bring the 968 Celebration to Newtown in 2006 and we have been fast friends through this time. I am always impressed with Pete's ease and manner. Pete is never too busy to talk with owners and always finds the time discuss his products or just basic maintenance/racing issues.

Max is Pete's protege' and he has been working on 944/951 and 968's almost exclusively for 4 years (a couple of years on MBZ before that), he has learned well.

My car now runs as smooth as it was brand new and I have added: M030 sways, hemispherical drop links, delrin bushings, konis all around, air box modification, K&N filter, AFP, header, cat back, cast drilled rotors, S/S Brakes line/Clutch hose, strut tower brace, undercarriage brace,firewall brace, short shift, dyno tuned software...or as I tell my wife, "standard maintenance". RS barn has developed and/or installed all of these items, and I am very confident in their capabilities.

Great Job Pete and Max!

- DJbrand1 - 07-23-2010

Only met Max in person when I picked the car up. Very knowledgable, will most likely going back for any work I do not feel comfortable doing. (see "Clutch replacement"). Smile

- MikeKling - 07-24-2010

I wholeheartedly reccommend RS Barn to keep your car in running order, especially if you intend to track it regularly.  First off, congratulations on finding a 1988 944 with only 42K.  I own a 944 and met 968SilverCab at my first RTR event.  He suggested RSBarn to maintain it.  I was also considreing DE and after talking to Pete chose to purchase a 968 as a track car.  Pete  and I developed a multi year plan to develop the car into a DE vehicle.  The plan incorporated basic mods and then more advanced mods to match my (hopefully) better driver skills over several years.  Pete also coordinated his schedule with mine so that he could be my instructor and insure the car was functrioning properly on the track.

Pete is also acutely aware of when items need replaced after a given amount of track time.  His shop usually has at least one vehicle that heard about him too late and now is in need of a full rebuild.  At the end of this season we have several maintenance issues to complete that will insure my car running many years.  The only breakdowns that I have encountered were due to driver error (that would be me). 

Professionally, I have operated and owned fleets of vehicles of over three decades.  I have hired and fired too many mechanics than I care to count.  I know the real deal when I see it.  You can trust RS Barn with your vehicle.

I'll be at Watkins Glen in my white 968, #308.  Please find me and I'll be happy to show you my car and the fine work Pete has completed.

Mike Kling