Riesentöter Forums
Bertil Roos - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Bertil Roos (/showthread.php?tid=2293)

Pages: 1 2

- emayer - 05-01-2010

"If you have the means, I highly recommend it."

I just completed the 5 day school, and had the pleasure of doing this with Ken Boyd and Jack Ruse.  I'm sure they'll comment at some point, but from my vanatge a big thumbs up for quality instruction, seat time, and overall experience.  This despite the fact we had every weather pattern imaginable from monsoon rain, to snow and finally sun!

As other 'Toters have said before, I can verify it is an outstanding program for drivers of any level seeking to understand and implement proper performance driving technique.  To bad I have to wait until Lightning before putting some of this to use! 

- betegh9 - 05-02-2010

Pocono is only 2 week away........... less!

- KennyB - 05-02-2010

I agree with Eric. I only stayed for the 3-day program, then spent 2 days at NJMP to put the theory into action. Driving the little Formula 2000 cars was a hoot, even tho it took me a while to figger out the downshifts without synchros. The instructors were all top-notch, no wasted time, plenty of seat time (if you call that cracked fiberglass, reclining sling a seat), and thorough classroom didactics.

- Jack Ruse - 05-02-2010

I'm in full agreement with Eric & Ken.

Personally I would recommend at least 5 or 6 DE weekends before doing the 5 day course. You have enough of the basics by that point to be able to focus on the finer points of their program.

Racing equally matched little momentum machines really brings home the point that a small mistake that adds a 1/2 sec. to your lap time can really cost you in a race. All of sudden you find out the guy behind you is set up to pass you a lap later or now it is going to take you another 2 laps to set up your pass.

Their slide cars are a great learning tool. They turn the whole course into a skid pad.

- George3 - 05-03-2010

Glad to hear you guys took advantage of the Bertil Roos School.  I did the school several years ago, and thought it was fantastic.  The Formula cars show you exactly what can be done with your own car on the track. 

Congrats to the new Grads !!

Cool

- StoogeMoe203 - 05-03-2010

So what kind of things do they teach you that aren't taught at our DE's?

- emayer - 05-04-2010

Great question.

In large part, much of that which is taught in DE is reinforced in the school but with way more seat time.  These lower powered "momentum" cars readily expose weaknesses in technique.  They have no nannies whatsoever.  Truth be told, I was able to experiment more since I wasn't worried about balling up my own car.  Big Grin

In addition, there are several other aspects taught:

Ocular driving.  The technique involves training ourselves to look way down the track.  It permits a much less hurried approach to driving, a proactive/ anticipatory rather than reactive way of getting around the track.  This is reinforced with their slide cars, which are vehicles with modified rear suspensions.  They essentially induce a tail slide every time you take a corner.  I was all over the place in the beginning, by the end of the course I was casually driving at speed giving medical advice to the instructor as though this were any ordinary car.  Pretty cool!

Drafting and Passing exercises.  Passing was permitted throughout the track.  While most of us may not go on to race, the techniques are useful in DE for those up against higher powered cars.

Race strategy.  The training included race starts, qualifying and two races.  Here again, elements of this can be applied to DE.  Having experienced this I have to say that I'm toying with the idea of renting a car for a race weekend....

- George3 - 05-04-2010

Great summary, Eric!!
It brought back some nice memories and makes me want to do
the school again.

Good luck and put all that ammo to work at Lightning !!  Big Grin

- emayer - 05-04-2010

Thx George!

I'm game to do this again, perhaps at a different venue like VIR. Have you ever thought of trying your hand at racing?

- George3 - 05-04-2010

I'll let you know this weekend !!!

Big Grin . . . Big Grin . . . Cool