Riesentöter Forums
Best Route to Monticello - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Best Route to Monticello (/showthread.php?tid=2357)

- larrybard - 06-25-2010

I'm driving at Monticello next week and am getting all sorts of different directions from mapping services (e.g., MapQuest and Google); haven't tried my Nuvi yet.  Can anyone suggest, from experience, what might be the best route?  Thanks.

Larry

- 997S22 - 06-25-2010

Larry

I won't pretend to be better than Google Maps..

Who are you running with, I may see if still any openings to join you.

- Rob Smale - 06-25-2010

- larrybard - 06-26-2010

Bob,

The Monticello event is Thursday and Friday, run by FCA-NE.  Unfortunately I understand that it is filled.

Interesting some of the things they are doing differently (at least for this event) than RTR does, e.g., they provide car numbers, lunch and ongoing beverages to prevent dehydration during the event.

Larry 

- betegh9 - 06-26-2010

I just came back from Monticello.....Took me 2.5 hours to get there, leaving at 4 am with NO traffic. Took Pa turnpike to Allentown, 22 east to Easton, 33N. to rt. 209N. When I got to I80, had to drive to Port Jarvis bacause of a construction detour. then took Rt. 6 thru town, route 97N, and then 42N to Monticello. Don't miss the right turn to the track. it is a small road and NO SIGNS telling you so........ it is a PRIVATE club. The return trip should be the same in reverse order but with more traffic if you are driving back after the track is cold, will probably take at least 1/2 hour longer.

By the way, if it is your first time there, it will take a good part of the day to learn the track..... it is technical and does not seem to have rithum and thus challenging. Once you know where you are at any particular time on the course, you will grow to like it.Big Grin

- larrybard - 06-26-2010

Nick,

Thanks.  Will look at a map.  It also occurs to me that the distance of the track from the Hampton Inn in in Middletown, where I'll be staying (and where I'm plotting routes from home to) may result in a somewhat different route.

Larry

- 997S22 - 06-26-2010

larrybard wrote:
Quote:Bob,

The Monticello event is Thursday and Friday, run by FCA-NE. Unfortunately I understand that it is filled.

Interesting some of the things they are doing differently (at least for this event) than RTR does, e.g., they provide car numbers, lunch and ongoing beverages to prevent dehydration during the event.

Larry

Thanks, I'll check into it but it probably is too late. Have fun, I really like the track. My tips from prior thread copied here:

"Was at MMC again yesterday. Thought I would pass along some pointers while fresh in my memory. I will refer to corners as numbered in CVR map linked below. I will only comment on the corners that most people have trouble with.

Turn 6 - late apex this turn, then get far left with left wheel up to, or partially on, drainage grate (going with wheel completely on grate is OK but unsettles car a bit so I usually don't put full wheel on grate) - you need to do this to set up turn 7 - it will be more clear when you see it, but give up turn 6 to get through turn 7 faster on a better line.

Turn 9 - most people seem to end up going diagonally across track straight line from turn 8 to turn in cone at turn 9. Better line is to get to left side a ways before the turn in cone to better set up for turn 9 which is a hard right hander

Turn 12 - Set up for this turn by getting 2/3rds to full right at turn in cone, then smoothly & progressively move to left (inside) through the entire turn, reaching full left at apex, this progressive turn in is more important than whether you prefer to enter the turn from 2/3 or full right (2/3 seems fastest with grippy tires)

Turn 13 - many advanced drivers dive straight at apex cone from left side approach, brake hard and rotate car to turn 14. If not comfortable with that, take a more typical arc through corner. Either way you don't need or want to go all the way out to track out cone between turns 13 & 14 - about 2/3's of the way is plenty.

Turns 16 & 17- where 17 is on the map you make a hard left followed very quickly by a hard right that breaks downhill. The right hander comes up on you fast and is missed by many drivers. If you are following closely you will often get blinded by a dust cloud as the driver in front of you puts 2 wheels in the dirt on inside of the right hander. This is another pair of turns where it is best and quickest to give away the first turn to set up the 2nd - the right hander onto the straight. The best approach is: late apex at end of long back straight (turn 16) get to far right going up the short uphill between 16 & 17, late apex the left hander and get far left to set up the right hander. Again this is a very quick series of turns, and many cars will be doing 140+ at end of long back straight coming into this right-left-right series - take it easy through here the 1st couple laps until you get familiar with it.

Turn 20 - this is the fast, off-camber kink, approach with caution, cars have rolled here. Get far right approaching the kink, ease throttle or touch brakes before turn in (depending on car and entry speed) straighten out the kink as much as possible by going tight up to apex cone ( I drive on the curb, it is pretty smooth). I believe the roll risk is if you lose it or lift and spin to the outside, the car is likely to roll if it hits the grass sideways as you go off the track - not an overly challenging turn if you just approach with caution until familiar with it.

Turn 22 - fastest line for a car with HP seems to be straight line from turn 21 to turn in cone at turn 22, brake hard, rotate and get back on gas onto the pit straight. Lower HP or not comfortable with rotating car - then go straight from 21 to brake zone sign 1 or 2 and follow normal arc through this very hard, very slow right hander. No matter how you choose to do it, SLOW DOWN - it is a very tight turn with little run off if you screw up. You are now back at pit row.

These suggestions will make more sense to you after a session or 2, you may want to print them out with the map and take with you to review after you have done a couple sessions. The track is complex enough you will probably want to learn the course and basic line the first couple of sessions and then refine your line with these suggestions. The suggestions are consistent with and incorporate input from resident instructor who led advanced driver class yesterday.

Have fun!"

Map http://www.cvrpca.org/docs/de/monticello/mmc_track_map.pdf

- larrybard - 06-26-2010

Appreciate the tips. (Have been trying to do my homework and had read where you previously posted them.)  Will benefit more from them once I have a session or two (or three) completed.

- 997S22 - 06-26-2010

larrybard wrote:
Quote:Appreciate the tips. (Have been trying to do my homework and had read where you previously posted them.) Will benefit more from them once I have a session or two (or three) completed.
Yes - there are so many turns it takes most people 2-3 sessions to remember where they are on the track and what is coming next.