Riesentöter Forums
Skid Pad Training - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Skid Pad Training (/showthread.php?tid=2495)

- opus - 03-07-2011

Just wondering if there is any club that offers skid pad training within an hour or two from Philly.  I have done a few HPDE events, some in dry and some in wet conditions.  The ones in wet conditions highlighted my need for some car control skills.  (I know auto-x is good for that, but they take too much time for little amount of seat time.) 

I read via the BMW CCA forum (last post in the link below) that Summit Point rents out their skid pad at $530 per day.  I am waiting to hear back from them about renting their skid pad.   Does anyone know if it is a true skid pad or just a big parking lot?

http://www.njbmwcca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4107

Any interest from RTR about a skid pad training day either at Summit Point or nearby...perhaps NJMP parking lot?

- Black_S2000 - 03-07-2011

I would be VERY interested in this too! April Shenandoah HPDE has one of the sessions on the skid pad, but I would love to have more seat time just on the skid pad. I would be very intersted in making it a whole day trip.

- Brian Minkin - 03-07-2011

Both skid pads at Summit Point are true skid pads.

- bobt993 - 03-07-2011

Shenandoah has some obstacles though............Confusedhock:

- Brian Minkin - 03-07-2011

bobt993 wrote:
Quote:Shenandoah has some obstacles though............Confusedhock:
In all the years we have used the skid pad there I have only seen one car back into the berm. If the rule of when in a spin both feet in is applied I think it is safe. I have never felt at risk there.

- opus - 03-08-2011

Black_S2000 wrote:
Quote:I would be VERY interested in this too! April Shenandoah HPDE has one of the sessions on the skid pad, but I would love to have more seat time just on the skid pad. I would be very intersted in making it a whole day trip.
That's a great idea - tie it to a specific HPDE event. Maybe a full day or even two days of skid pad prior the actual HPDE, that way people will be prepared.

Bring extra tires. Wink

EDIT:
Just go off the phone with Joe at NJMP. Rental cost of the Lightning parking lot is $1000 per day. Required ambulance presence fee is $1000 per day. NJMP water truck can be rented for $500. No liability insurance is needed, as it will be covered by NJMP's.

The NJMP Lightning parking lot is big enough to be divided into two areas, so we have two skid pads. When I was at Skip Barber in Lime Rock, they had two cars at a time on the skid pad. If the same, we can have four cars running at the same time then.

- betegh9 - 03-08-2011

opus wrote:
Quote:Black_S2000 wrote:
Quote:I would be VERY interested in this too! April Shenandoah HPDE has one of the sessions on the skid pad, but I would love to have more seat time just on the skid pad. I would be very intersted in making it a whole day trip.
That's a great idea - tie it to a specific HPDE event. Maybe a full day or even two days of skid pad prior the actual HPDE, that way people will be prepared.

Bring extra tires. Wink

EDIT:
Just go off the phone with Joe at NJMP. Rental cost of the Lightning parking lot is $1000 per day. Required ambulance presence fee is $1000 per day. NJMP water truck can be rented for $500. No liability insurance is needed, as it will be covered by NJMP's.

The NJMP Lightning parking lot is big enough to be divided into two areas, so we have two skid pads. When I was at Skip Barber in Lime Rock, they had two cars at a time on the skid pad. If the same, we can have four cars running at the same time then.
2 cars on a skid pad?.......I guess it depends on the diameter.:?

- Black_S2000 - 03-08-2011

Or how slippery it isSmile At the winter driving school we easily had 2 cars at one time on regular 300' skid pad... We were not moving faster than 20-25 mph on iceSmile

- JoeP - 03-08-2011

PennDOT was nice enough to build a free skid pad in Newtown Square.  It's just off the intersection of Route 252 and St. David's Road:

- Minoclan - 03-13-2011

There used to be one at Limerock. I spent some time on it when I went to Skippy School. The Rent-a-M3 was a blast, especially with a screaming fellow student in the back seat. I would love to do it again in my car.