Riesentöter Forums
Tires - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Tires (/showthread.php?tid=2627)

- Jack Ruse - 03-21-2011

If you have a need for Japanese tires in the near future you may want to buy now. I just ordered Toyo R888's from CJ's and they are running out.
Jack

- MikeKling - 03-21-2011

I ordered two sets of R-888's in Jan and two of the eight tires "disappeared" from CJ's warehouse.  I am still waiting for the replacements.  My manager told me that CJ's has no TOYO's in their warehouse.  By the way, what size do you use Jack?

The manager also assured me that the TOYO factory was not affected by the earthquakes, but didn't know about shipping.  Frankly, I was more concerned about shipping since Tsunamis due tend to clutter up shipping ports a bit.

Jack's advise is sound.  And I would add that if you don't have any TOYO's soon, you may want to consider alertnatives.  Gentleman, what are your suggestions?

- Jack Ruse - 03-21-2011

Mike I ordered 245/40/18's & 315/30/18's. I dealt with Joe Specht 610 404 0224 ext 127. Joe handles on-line sales for track tires and also orders track tires for the stores. He had to go to an outside source for the 245's.

- Lainey - 03-21-2011

I'm looking to go to Toyos this year, dang. Will need to give that guy a call. Thanks.

Tried them but just not happy with the RE-11's from last year - to finnicky with pressures. Might have to lay down the benjamins for Michelins if the Toyos don't work out.

- Bill Lehman - 03-22-2011

Michelin Sport Cups and Toyo R888 are about the same price in Cayman sizes from Joe at Tirezone.  I ran R888 and switched to Cups last year and would not go back to Toyos.  Woodman now has the new Pirelli Trofeo in Cayman sizes.

- fasthonda - 03-22-2011

hi guys.

i have two complete sets of Toyo RA-1s for sale;  both sets are 'stickers' and have never been mounted.  one set of four is full tread.  the other set of four is shaved to 5/32.

both sets are 225-50-16 size, and have always been kept cool and dark indoors in my basement.   $600 per set (get em while they are hot!  lol).

todd

ReidSpeed

- MikeKling - 03-23-2011

CJ's West Chester manager told me that he spoke to the TOYO rep and was assured that TOYO had a large supply of tires in the US, albeit in their California warehouse.  He added that they will be stocking up their East Coast warehouse in short order.

So that's the latest.  Let's hope our good friends at CJ's can use their formidable buying power to keep us in tires.  Let's also keep each other posted as we hear of events unfolding.

- betegh9 - 03-24-2011

MikeKling wrote:
Quote:CJ's West Chester manager told me that he spoke to the TOYO rep and was assured that TOYO had a large supply of tires in the US, albeit in their California warehouse. He added that they will be stocking up their East Coast warehouse in short order.

So that's the latest. Let's hope our good friends at CJ's can use their formidable buying power to keep us in tires. Let's also keep each other posted as we hear of events unfolding.

You are right Mike. If you look at the manufacture date of a tire.....a 4 digit number like 1110, that means that that tire was made on week 11 of year 2010. From what I could see on most new tires (r888's) at the track, they are at least 16 months old. the werehouses release OLD stock before the latest arrivals from Japan. So don't panic and start HORDING. If they stop shipping, there is at least a years supply of the R888's

Lainey, don't panic. You'll love the Toyos.Big Grin

- rbasales - 03-25-2011

There are several disconcerting dynamics occurring in the Tire/rubber business right now. Obviously the Japanese disaster may be affecting production at Japanese plants. The bigger concern is the continual cost increases for rubber form Malaysia. The Malaysian rubber plantations provide over 90% of the worlds rubber. There has been a significant decrease in the amount of rubber being harvested due to the purposeful destruction of these plantations; from development of surrounding land and plowing under to keep prices high.
 All though I am not in the Automobile tire business, I do represent and sell Bicycle tires for the largest supplier in the US and I have raised costs to my retailers 3 times and over 30% in the last year.
 Bottom line if you find tires you like it will pay to buy 2 or more sets at a time as you will definitely pay more when you buy them again! 

- geza - 03-30-2011

Try Frisby Tire at http://www.frisbyracetire.com/specials.php
They are closing out R888 shaved to 3/32 since they are not the SC spec tire.
Ex. P245/40ZR18  $188