Riesentöter Forums
Windshields - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Windshields (/showthread.php?tid=2643)

- rbasales - 03-23-2011

The NJMP Thunderbolt gravel pit did in at least a half dozen windshields last weekend; including yours truly and another RTR member. Safelite is up to $977 for my 997. Couple of questions does any one know of any better solutions? Is a Safe lite repaired windshield tech passable? I see on Rennlist that a west coast dealer will sell a Porsche factory replacement for $487, any body know of any dealers who will do the same locally? I know some one will comment about insurance and claims and deductibles etc; however I have all ready claimed a windshield more then once on this car.
  Thanks

- emayer - 03-23-2011

Sorry to hear of this, but hope you had a ton of fun at NJMP!

I've had Safelite repair windshields previously and have had no problems passing tech.  In the past, I used to insist on OEM replacement glass.  Turns out the dealer was having Safelite do the installation also.  I've been happy with the quality of repaired glass, and have since favored this over replacing the entire windshield when possible.  Given what we do with these cars it's only a matter of time before something happens again...

- Jimbeau - 03-23-2011

I've also had my windshield repaired.  The repair is practically invisible and based on what the Safelite rep told me the resin is actually many times stronger than the original glass making the repaired area stronger than the rest of the windshield assuming the repair is done correctly.   No reason it wouldn't be safe so passing tech shouldn't be an issue especially since this type of repair is only done on relatively minor cracks.

My insurance company waives the deductable on replacement if you let them attempt the repair first. I had the repair done over 4 years ago and it's never progressed. 

I agree with Eric if you do this enough your going to break some stuff.  Eggs, glass, transmissions, pistons.....  

- rbasales - 03-23-2011

Believe me I know about breaking stuff. This is windshield number 3 in 3 years. Safelite is coming tomorrow to fix it. This time it looks like a bullet hole so I think it should work. Last time it was more of a crack and after it was fixed it kept walking to the edge and I had to replace it. I am still looking for a PA/NJ shop that can provide a windshield at a good price. At least for future needs
Overall it was a great weekend and nice to be back on the track

- Mark Fox - 04-02-2011

That stinks:X Controllable issue of maintenance should not cause the participant additional expense. For us with front engine P-cars, NJMSP destroys the outside 1/8 of the front tires in less than a day, and I really can't justify driving there. I can't recall all the times I have taken 2 sets, and tires to be mounted when going to VIR or WGI anticipating getting only 1 day out of the set and have run all 3 days on the original set. Maybe if the Douglasville facility comes to fruition they will do it right with design and choice of aggregate for the macadam. Say your prayers.

- ninjabones - 04-02-2011

Mark:

It isn't just the front wheel drive cars... I corded the outsides of both fronts during the club race weekend in less than 8 heat cycles.  Initially thought it was car setup, then track surface, but after talking to a bunch of other guys with simliar problems, we found out that it was actually the curbing (especially at 2, 3 and 5).. the curbs are cut like rasps.  If you stay off the curbs, you'll see a huge difference in tire wear.

- Mark Fox - 04-04-2011

I'm not on the curbs that much that I think it causes my problems, plus unweighted wheel would apply to all mentioned.  I have ruined a perfect tire at lightening in 4 sessions and both fronts at T-bolt in 5 sessions.  Mickey Mouse design and poor choice of asphalt.

- ninjabones - 04-04-2011

lightning is a different story (the lightbulb eats tires)... but T-bolt, it's the curbs, and it's only the outside edges of the front tires.  This has been widely discussed and a generally recognized problem. Since avoiding the curbs, my tire wear has gotten much much better at T-bolt.

- bobt993 - 04-04-2011

Funny,  I am not having that problem and like the curbing.