Riesentöter Forums
In need of therapy - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: In need of therapy (/showthread.php?tid=2724)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Mark Fox - 04-02-2011

I will be entering therapy for the next several months. My son has informed me that he is going to take my 3 year old grandson to a NASCAR race. Aiden just turned 3 as of three weeks ago, and while he can spell several words like dolphin, zebra, monkey ect. the other day he spelled Lowes for me with the association being crashcar. Worse he has the complete collection of the die-cast cars.

I pray he is not going down this road. He has already attended 2 Rolex races and 2 DE's and has several LMP and sports cars in his collection. He has been watching sports car videos on the computer for a year and half. Recently I have been systematically sending him pictures of Porsche cup cars, Porsche spyder magnets and Knock/knock jokes....real drivers have to brake, down shift and turn right. I even found a fairly detailed 20" Mercedes-Mclaren with sounds and lights for him. Hell he was even listening to Rothman Cup races and the down shifts at week two.

Anyway if this must occur, would you recommend Dover or Pocono? I have to go, I am feeling nausea again thinking about it. :X

- Brian Minkin - 04-02-2011

My Nascar son says Dover. 

- syncspeedinc - 04-03-2011

I would say Pocono for a smaller child, the sound level @ Dover is pretty high during the race.

- emayer - 04-03-2011

Too funny!  My little guy (age 5) is going down the same path though I've steered him clear of NASCAR... so far.  Truth be told, I hope we'll be able to participate in the sport together as he gets older.  For now however, I'm using his desire to have a Porsche like Daddy as motiviation to do well in school, etc.  I'm toying with getting him some karting seat time...

The bugger critiques my line and passing when playing computer simulators! Confusedhock:

This may be obvious, but one important tip: 

Earplugs or noise cancelling headphones for the little ones.

- MikeKling - 04-03-2011

Mark,

It is my considered medical opinion that therapy will do no good.  I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV.  The gene that draws us to high performance driving has been mapped in the Genome Project.  It typically skips a generation, which is why your grandson has exhibited such a high acuity for the sport.  This has been further documented in the New England and British Medial Journals through decades of clinical double blind trials.

So save yourself some money on therapy and enjoy the ride.  We should all be so fortunate.

- ccm911 - 04-04-2011

The one and only NASCAR race I ever attended was at Dover.  I missed the finish, as two guys were fist fighting in the stands, which held my attention more than the race.  Hell, watching someone put catsup on a hot dog is more exciting than a NASCAR "race".

That being said, I would suggest Pocono.  Well, really, I would chose "C - None of the above".Big Grin

- AMoore - 04-04-2011

At least Pocono has more braking and less consistent turns.

- cjbcpa - 04-04-2011

I don't think it matters much.

A NASCAR race is only going to hold three-year olds attention for about 4 laps no matter where you go. Which track has the most off-track attractions and/or accessibility to pit row, that's the race to go to. That and be prepared to leave early, which is sort of SOP when taking a toddler to an event of any kind.

CB

- dmano - 04-04-2011

The Glen or Dover.

I did not think we had so many "snobb's" in the club.

When was the last time you saw an engine run 7+K RPM for 500 miles at 180MPH non stop? And drive a 3500lb car for the same amount of time bumper to bumper. It may not be fun to watch the whole thing but just for a moment think about the logistics.

- emayer - 04-04-2011

I know a place: 

The Autobahn!  Except there are trucks thrown in for more excitement... Big Grin

Your points on NASCAR are well taken, it seems that it is more about the logistics and luck in avoiding pile-ups rather than actual driving.  Not a snob thing, just less enjoyable to some than other forms of motorsport.