Riesentöter Forums
Touring Joara - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Touring (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+--- Thread: Touring Joara (/showthread.php?tid=2767)

- 77Dino - 04-21-2011

Touring Joara, a European and Sports Car Tour is set for October 1, 2011. This is the second annual tour to raise funds for Exploring Joara Foundation a 501-3c non-profit which supports the archeology at Fort San Juan and Joara. Joara is the name of the Native American village where the Spanish Captain, Juan Pardo, built Fort San Juan in 1567 making this the earliest European settlement in the interior of the United States. 

The Tour will begin at the Switzerland Inn and descend Hwy 226 A, “The Diamondback�? one of North Carolina’s most challenging roads. From there participants will follow in the footsteps of Pioneers and Patriots as you follow sections of the Overmountain Victory National Trail. This trail is the route the Overmountain Men followed as they marched towards the Battle of Kings Mountain. In this pivotal battle, patriot backwoodsmen defeated a well-trained force of loyalists in an event Thomas Jefferson called the turning point in the War of Independence. On the tour you will visit Quaker Meadows, patriot leader Colonel Charles McDowell’s home, where the Overmountain Men camped the night of September 30, 1780. Step back into the 18th century with living history exhibits and tours of the historic McDowell House during the annual Revolutionary War Week events. At the Joara stop, travel further back in time to the 16th century. Joara is the Native American village where Spanish Captain Juan Pardo built Fort San Juan in 1567.

The first Touring Joara was a wonderful success with great cars, fun roads, interesting people, and beautiful weather. There were 59 cars registered on the tour and the cars were varied from Morgan’s, MGs, Fiats, Porches, BMWs, Jaguars, Volvos, Mini Coopers, Smart Cars, Mercedes-Benz, Austin Martins, an Aston Martin, Triumphs, Classic Mustangs, Corvettes, and Ferraris. At the end of the tour we had great music and announced the poker run prizes winners. To register for the tour and to check out last year’s tour photos and tour map visit www.exploringjoara.org.

Registration is just $75 per car; a percentage is a tax deductible donation to the Exploring Joara Foundation, a local nonprofit organization that supports public archaeology in the Catawba and Yadkin river valleys. Thanks to the following businesses who have donated poker prizes: ACE Hardware, Advance Auto Parts, AUTOZONE, LOWES, O’Reilly Auto Parts, and Radio Shack Electronic Depot.

- steve10kinley - 05-02-2011

Thanks for the information,surly i would like to be there .Really the photos are awesome. soon i v'l visit the site for registration.

- 77Dino - 05-02-2011

I look forward to seeing you in October!!! Last year was fun but this year will be even better.  There are a lot of photo’s from 2010 on the Exploring Joara website be sure to check them out.

Scott  

- 77Dino - 05-04-2011

Cool
I just placed a half page ad in Classic Motorsports magazine and I thought I would share it.   If you have been in the men’s bathroom at a gas station you will get it. Fun stuff!!!

Scott

- 77Dino - 06-27-2011

Registrations for Touring Joara have started coming in and I have had a few questions to answer recently that I thought I would post.

Start/end point? This year we will start in Marion NC and end in Morganton NC both locations are close to I-40 so it will be easy for those who are driving in on the day of the Tour.

Gravel roads? NO gravel roads!!

Overnight lodging options? I will put together a more in-depth hotel list but one suggestion would be the Switzerland Inn which is a stop on the tour and one of the sponsors of the Tour.
There address is:
Switzerland Inn
86 High Ridge Road
Little Switzerland, NC 28749
(828) 765-2153            

$75 includes what…for one or two…? The $75 registration fee is per car not per person. I talked to our accountant this past weekend and the fee is mostly if not all deductable as a donation to the foundation which is a 501c3 non- profit. What each car will receive is a touring badge, that has tape on its back so it can be mounted anywhere on the car or wherever the driver wishes. The 2011tour booklet with map, a turn by turn, and each car will participate in the Poker Run. There will be prizes for the best ten hands for the poker run and last year’s prizes included item such as a GPS, a framed 2010 tour poster, a case of oil, and etcetera. Not to mention driving “great�? roads with other enthusiasts.

I am sure these questions will spur some additional questions so please ask.
Scott Coley

- 77Dino - 07-07-2011

The route for the tour has been a “moving�? target so I have been intentionally vague up to now. We have been approved by the Marion City Council to start in down town Marion and the tour will drive up 226-A, then around Lake James with stops on the lake, then out to the Berry Site “Joara�?, then to Quaker Meadows Plantation, then to Judges for a break and live music, then finish at the Catawba Meadows Park in Morganton NC where we will give out the touring badges and participants will hand in there poker run cards. This route will be fun and just under 100 miles.

I will post a photo of one of the prizes for the poker run that I just received.

Scott

- 77Dino - 09-09-2011

Just 21[/b] more days till Touring Joara!!! If you have not registered check out our new website www.touringjoar.org and you can print off the registration form there and send it in. Be sure to invite a friend it is going to be a fun day.

- 77Dino - 09-21-2011

This is the week to register for Touring Joara www.touringjoara.org then click on the registration form.

- 77Dino - 09-26-2011

Touring Joara is just around the corner and if you have been waiting to see how the weather is going to be to register wait no more. Saturday is going to be dry and beautiful according to Ray’s Weather forecast and the Weather Channel. So plan to come to Marion for the start and register from 8:00 till 8:30. We will be gathering at the corner of Logan and W. Henderson Street in down town. It is going to be a great day to drive!!!!

Scott Coley