Riesentöter Forums
What do you do for a living - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: What do you do for a living (/showthread.php?tid=277)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- LouZ - 02-07-2007

I'll add to the "Structural Engineer" humor

We had a project where some of the site piping dimensions were missing, but we had to design a tower that would sit near the existing piping. The structural engineer went off with the drawings and sequestered himself for the rest of the day. He emerged with a design of the monsterous steel supports. When questioned how he figured out how to ensure missing the piping, he said "Adjustable crossbracing!"

This same engineer insisted that a 4000 ton capacity storage silo be located at a specific centerline in the field. We showed him the interferences at his chosen spot. His solution........."Move Power Plant 6"!"

Needless to say, he's no longer with us!

By the way, 356D, I'm a degreed Civil Engineer also!

- ccm911 - 02-08-2007

catchacab wrote:
Quote:I do not feel comfortable listing my profession on this public forum, but when asked I am not ashamed of what I do.

Let us not talk about business, but lets look forward to the warm weather.

Good Driving!!!

Be careful folks......looks like we may have a CIA operative amongst us. Smile

I am so glad that a bunch of you are sharing work stories. No one is judging anyone by what they do, but if you spend 40 plus hours a week working, then I do feel that what you do is a significant part of your makeup. Be it by choice or by circumstance, those hours spent on the job are bound to leave a psychic imprint.

As for my posts during business hours. I am in IT and on the computer for about nine hours a day. Then I spend about another two hours when I get home. Comes with the territory.

Now where I work, they do not allow for streaming video, as it will take up too much bandwidth. But alas, this new kid we just hired has already found a way to get around it. It is just the nature of the beast in IT...the smart folks will always find a way to get around the rules. But then again, these same folks may just be able to save the day when something bad happens to the system.

- LouZ - 02-08-2007

ccm911 wrote:
Quote:But alas, this new kid we just hired has already found a way to get around it. It is just the nature of the beast in IT...the smart folks will always find a way to get around the rules.
So, it took the new kid and "smart folks" to get around it, what does that make you?Cool

- ccm911 - 02-08-2007

LouZ wrote:
Quote:So, it took the new kid and "smart folks" to get around it, what does that make you?Cool

It makes me the dumb one as always.

I see you live in King of Prussia. You must stop by for a beer one of these days. You can see the "amature engineering" going on with my current home renovation. Although I can assure you we will not be using "adjustable bracing".

- LouZ - 02-09-2007

ccm911 wrote:
Quote:You must stop by for a beer one of these days. You can see the "amature engineering" going on with my current home renovation.
Or visa-versa, I'm over by Valley Forge & Caley. We can "invade" the home on Valley Forge that has a white (Real?) slant nose up on jacks in his driveway.

- Mike Andrews - 02-09-2007

ccm911 wrote:
Quote:I once had a lady call me eight times in two weeks to have her password reset! I really wanted to call her boss to inform them that they had indeed, hired a moron.
Chris,

Here's what I do... ask them to write down their new password and then give it to them slowly.....one, d, ten, t (1d10t). They don't usually call back :dude:

Now here's a story about occupations. Yesterday on the train on the way back from the car show I struck up a conversation with the guy sitting across from me. As things usually do we got around to what each other did for a living. He said he had a slow day and had only made $400K that day. He went on to tell me about how he started in shoe sales but really liked his new job at the mint.

- Terry - 02-09-2007

Interesting dilemma. I hate it when people use the membership list to market for customers or clients - it should be clear to all of us that the list is for fun only. OTOH, I like to steer business to our members when possible, so I have bought cars and a garage door from RTR people, and my garage lift from an RTR neighbor and friend. When CCM was in the car care business, he detailed my car. If I don't know what people do, I can't use them. Ideally, the information should come out informally and on request, not in the form of marketing.

- ccm911 - 02-11-2007

Terry wrote:
Quote:Interesting dilemma. I hate it when people use the membership list to market for customers or clients - it should be clear to all of us that the list is for fun only. OTOH, I like to steer business to our members when possible, so I have bought cars and a garage door from RTR people, and my garage lift from an RTR neighbor and friend. When CCM was in the car care business, he detailed my car. If I don't know what people do, I can't use them. Ideally, the information should come out informally and on request, not in the form of marketing.

Bingo!!! To use any club for business purposes is just so crass. On so many levels. I mean, I get marketed to enough during the day between phone calls, spam emails... Clubs are where you go to relax. But on the other hand, job stories do provide fun.

How would you like to have to call Mike Andrews for a password reset? Smile

- smankow - 02-11-2007

I agree with Terry, as well.  I don't feel that it's crass to work with other club members.  When I belonged to a country club, I was fortunate to perform accounting and tax work for several members, who I still maintain relationships.  I have also used the services of other members.  In many circles, it's viewed as a member benefit.  I don't feel that it's any different with RTR. 

I don't openly solicit work from our members, but I do advertise in der gasser and offer discounts on tax preparation.  In fact, as members, we should support the advertisers who support our club.

- Wellardmac - 02-11-2007

I agree. There's nothing better than doing business with people that you know, trust and have socialized with.