Riesentöter Forums
anti freeze alternative - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: anti freeze alternative (/showthread.php?tid=2786)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- dmano - 04-12-2011

For those of you that want to run on the track but have anti-freeze in thier system and as we all know most track don't allow you to use anti-freeze. Here is the alternative.  I am now a dealer for EVANS COOLING SYSTEMS.

They have race legal and street legal Zero Pressure Waterless Coolant.

NPG+:   Boils @ 375 deg at 0 psi, protects down to -40 deg 

NPG:   Boils @ 369 deg at 0 psi, protects down to -79 deg

NPGR:  Boils @ 400 deg at 7psi, protects down to -10 deg

They come with a 400 year life warranty I am not joking about the 400 year warranty.

Here is the link to thier web site.

http://www.evanscooling.com/high-performance/

- StoogeMoe203 - 04-12-2011

I like this line

Essentially non-toxic

[color="black"]I guess it's non-toxic if you don't drink it.

[/color]

- dmano - 04-13-2011

Evans coolants contain proprietary blends of glycols, including ethylene glycol.  Ethylene glycol, when metabolized by the alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) enzyme, converts to glycoaldehyde, glycolic acid, oxalic acid, and glyoxylate, all of them toxic.  Evans coolants contain a substance that, when mixed with ethylene glycol, inhibits the ADH enzyme from producing the toxic metabolites. 

In laboratory testing on rats according to USA EPA GLP regulations, Evans coolants have proven to be non-toxic. 

The traditional ethylene glycol warnings that are on Evans coolant products are required for compliance with USA Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) regulations for products sold in the USA.  Non-toxicity of Evans coolants with regard to humans has not been verified but laboratory testing on human tissue, under sponsorship by Evans Cooling Systems, Inc., is currently underway.  If safety for humans is verified, Evans will petition the USA CPSC for permission to remove the ethylene glycol warnings.

- ninjabones - 04-13-2011

Interesting... seams to be eco friendly... but more importantly, how friendly is it to the guys with whom we share the track? 

I'm not really that interested in protecting "zoos, feed lots, and food processing plants"... I'm more interested in people not dumping slippery crap on the track in front of me. 

- Jimbeau - 04-13-2011

dmano wrote:
Quote:Evans coolants contain proprietary blends of glycols, including ethylene glycol. Ethylene glycol, when metabolized by the alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) enzyme, converts to glycoaldehyde, glycolic acid, oxalic acid, and glyoxylate, all of them toxic. Evans coolants contain a substance that, when mixed with ethylene glycol, inhibits the ADH enzyme from producing the toxic metabolites.

So how is this not considered "anti-freeze"?

- dmano - 04-13-2011

Most drag racers us it as it is approved at all drag race tracks. Evans coolint is also being used extensively in off road racing where the enviroment is a big concern. As far as the tracks we use in the club it is also an approved alternative to the Red and Green anti freeze. Only the NPG version is technically allowed.  

- ninjabones - 04-13-2011

Doesn't really answer the question... our concern isn't the environment, it's slippery stuff on the track.  I'd like to see that addressed before people go out buying this stuff thinking that it's acceptable for road-racing and road course applications. 

- dmano - 04-13-2011

The whole advantage is zero pressure and higher boiling point. Most of the track problems we run into is car puking out anti freeze from over heating and pressure issues. Evans does not create pressure and does not cause overheating issues as with anti freeze. That is why you would run a zero pressure rad cap. NPG contains NO Ethylene Glycol.

"Evans NPG is the Original Waterless Coolant. NPG is a lifetime coolant. NPG is recommended for racing engines that run on tracks or in series where there is a "NO Ethylene Glycol" rule, and can be used in high performance street vehicles with high flow cooling systems. NPG is NOT recommended for daily drivers or cold weather operation, and may require system modifications to ensure a successful conversion.

- Jimbeau - 04-13-2011

dmano wrote:
Quote: NPG contains NO Ethylene Glycol.
Then you might want to revise your second post.

- ccm911 - 04-14-2011

ninjabones wrote:
Quote:Doesn't really answer the question... our concern isn't the environment, it's slippery stuff on the track. I'd like to see that addressed before people go out buying this stuff thinking that it's acceptable for road-racing and road course applications.
Dr. Glen - The tried and true approach over the years has been to use straight water with some Redline Water-Wetter mxed in.