Riesentöter Forums
Track Tires at CJ's - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Track Tires at CJ's (/showthread.php?tid=2805)

Pages: 1 2

- CarreraS - 06-08-2011

Now that I've made the leap into competition tires, I just wanted to give a plug to one of our vendors who many of you have used before: CJ's Tires.

I bought Toyo R888s: two 235/40 and two 295/30 18s...INSTALLED and with Tax = $984.04.  (That price included the PCA discount and there was no tire disposal fee since I did not have existing tires on the wheels I gave them.  Tire disposal would have added $10.00 total.)

I could not find any other supplier, either on the internet (when you factor in shipping and installation) or locally, that came anywhere near this price.  Even throwing in the $25.00 for gas with the roundtrip from Bucks County to West Chester...it was worth it.

Tell me again...why are we supporting Tire Rack with a banner ad?

- ccm911 - 06-08-2011

CarreraS wrote:
Quote:Tell me again...why are we supporting Tire Rack with a banner ad?

Hmmm. Could it be that I only paid $275 for thre new tires for my BMW at Tire Rack?

Actually, they both are good, and I also used to use CJs for my track tires back when the Targa was tracked.

You are going to love the Toyos!!!!!!!

- CarreraS - 06-08-2011

Chris...I've purchased from Tire Rack for other tires in the past.  My point is if that when we're comparing apples to apples, tire size/brand to tire size/brand, this was a good price from a local vendor who supports the club with their advertising.

When given the chance to support a local bricks and mortar vendor versus a national internet supplier, and price is equal or in this case superior, I'll favor the local small business owner EVERY time if I can.  Similarly, I'll make every effort to use our local hardware store as opposed to Lowe's or Home Depot.

I'm sure there are sizes/brands where CJ's is not the best source, but in this particular instance they were.  Nice guys, clean shop, too. 

(This is my second set of Toyos...the Fikse wheels I bought had the R888s and, yes, I do love them.  Between the tires and Pagids...it is like cheating compared to stock tires/brakes.)

- ccm911 - 06-08-2011

Agreed about the small business support.  We have a great little hardware store here in Wayne that absolutely blows the Home Depot away in terms of service.

Wanna really cry?  When I started using Toyo RA-1s about seven years ago, the price was about $475 out the door at CJs.

Tire prices sure have risen recently. 

- MikeKling - 06-08-2011

I would like to echo Dave's sentiments.  I joined RTR in 2008 and have seen CJ Tires sponsoring many of our events.  Every experience at their West Chester store has been exemplary.  Alex, the West Chester Manager,  always delivers.  He now inventories my Toyo R-888 size so they are always available during the season.

I too was a little dismayed that Tire Rack was given such a prominent display after CJ's has been such a loyal supported of our club. 

The late Tipp O'Neill ( a Congressman during the '80's for our younger readers) has been famously quoted for saying, "all politics are local".  The same holds true for economics.  Supporting local businesses should be a paramount factor in all our purchasing decisions.  I only wish the damn tires were made here too.

No Dave, upgrades to you car aren't cheating, but offering everyone a glass of warm milk so the are sleepy and cant drive as fast, is.  What's next turkey sandwiches?

Since your missing NJMP, I'll drink a beer for you, maybe two.

- Lainey - 06-08-2011

David,
Toyos are in stock?? I may be in the market for a set... where are these guys located?

- CarreraS - 06-08-2011

Hi Lainey:

I went to the same place Mike does...CJ's in West Chester. www.cjtire.com

It's located at 1309 Wilmington Pike in West Chester.

- CarreraS - 06-08-2011

Mike:

It's not just the warm milk...it's the warm milk coupled with the Double-Stuf Oreos that does it.

Have fun and be safe this weekend!!!

- betegh9 - 06-11-2011

Lainey wrote:
Quote:David,
Toyos are in stock?? I may be in the market for a set... where are these guys located?

Lainey,
CJ's is great but you don't have to go to West Chester. Look them up and you may find one of their stores closer to where you live. I usually go to their Birdsborough store (main Office) and ask for Joe Heckt. He is the main man and knows all tires for track. All the track tires to the stores come from this location.

- LouZ - 06-11-2011

betegh9 wrote:
Quote:Lainey wrote:
Quote:David,

Lainey,
CJ's is great but you don't have to go to West Chester. Look them up and you may find one of their stores closer to where you live. I usually go to their Birdsborough store (main Office) and ask for Joe Heckt. He is the main man and knows all tires for track. All the track tires to the stores come from this location.
I think that you are referring to Joe Specht, he's the internet guru too!