Riesentöter Forums
Replacement Headlights? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Model-Specific (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: 912 and 912E (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Replacement Headlights? (/showthread.php?tid=283)

- 356D - 02-09-2007

This forum section just seems so lonely... So I'm looking to fix that.

I have a 1968 912 that is mostly factory original.

I have been living with the dim headlights that came on the car when I bought it. I can drive with the highbeams on and nobody even notices me, and it's about the only way I can see 20 feet in front of the car at night.

Has anyone switched out the original (non-halogen) headlamps for better units? I'm not talking about the H4 replacements. I like the sealed beam style with the stainless trim bezel and want to keep the styling. I am interested in either the Silverstars or the Ultra-Brite Halogens.

This car has the 12-volt system unlike the 356's with the 6-volt. Would there be any repercussions to the system or wiring by making this change?

The 911 would have the same system as this car. I hope somebody can shed some light on this for me, pun intended, of course. Big Grin

- Brian Minkin - 02-09-2007

Hella Vision Plus Headlights use the latest European optics and lead crystal-focused lens to pump out up to 50% more low-beam light, and 25% more high-beam light, all with no increase in glare over the halogen sealed beams, plus 200% more light than unfocused tungsten-sealed beams. SAE- and DOT- approved in all 50 states. The inner bulbs are replaceable, eliminating the need to replace the entire reflector assembly. The increased light spread and light output is impressive: On low beam, 1,200 ft. (maximum) and on high beam, 5,400 ft. (maximum). However, the real advantage lies in the excellent light coverage and up to 50% higher output on low beam. This lets you see better all the time, without the fear of blinding oncoming drivers.

This is available from Performance Products

- RCohen - 02-11-2007

Before you start throwing all sorts of money at this, use a relay for power to the headlights.  Your wiring is very old and probably not delivering full voltage to the lights.  With the battery right next to the headlights, installing a relay is easy.  Without full voltage at the bulbs, any upgrade will only have marginal improvements

- 356D - 02-12-2007

Thanks. That's my concern as well. I don't really want to put out $350-400 for the Euro H4 replacements if it's not going to get me all that much because of the old wiring. The Hellas Brian put up seem to be just the ticket. I have also seen the Osram/Sylvania sealed beam Silverstars for around $25 each but I sort of like the replaceable bulb type.

- brave heart - 03-10-2007

I was part of a Group Buy of HID's with rennlist -- Transformered the 993 candle power to something I could actually use  -- Did cost about $300 though