Riesentöter Forums
Tire Recommendation Sought: DE/Non-Suicidal Street 17" - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Tire Recommendation Sought: DE/Non-Suicidal Street 17" (/showthread.php?tid=2857)

Pages: 1 2

- larrybard - 08-07-2011

Seems as if every time I have been reasonably happy with a tire, or sought to try a particular recommended one, I find it is apparently no longer made in the size I need (e.g., Toyo R888, Goodrich G-Force R1, Kumho Ecsta MX).  I currently drive a '95 993.  (205/50/17, 255/40/17)  I was very happy with Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, but the PSCs are no longer available in my size.  Last time I had Kumhos (don't recall which model), but they too are no longer available.

My son and I (both "blue" students) tried the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 at Watkins Glen, as an attempt to balance track performance with street suitability (including the ability to survive driving to and from the track in the rain, if encountered).  We felt that they weren't as sticky on the track as their predecessors.

My desire is to get something stickier, yet street legal.  I would strongly prefer not to make the jump to track slicks that are not street legal.  I am willing to sacrifice economy (price and wear) for track performance, but am not willing to buy anything that feels downright dangerous on the street in heavy rain.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry

- Brian Minkin - 08-07-2011

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires are what I use for rain tires on the track and steet tires on the occasional jouney on the street. They are made in your sizes. I find they have great corner grip (have driven them on the track in the dry)and the only complaint I have is minor tread squirm under braking which any street tire is going to have. CJ's can get them for you or Tire Rack and Discount Tire sell them as well.

- LouZ - 08-07-2011

Larry

I have run Toyo T1R's on the street and at the track for the past 5 years. I find them to be a great rain tire, as proven at W.G. a couple of years ago. Dry grip is good, and wear is quite reasonable.

They are available in your size, as that's what's on my 17" rims presently.

- eddiek - 08-07-2011

I have the V12's on my car and would not recommend them to anybody. The car is unpredictable in turns and downright dangerous at high speeds.

- larrybard - 08-07-2011

The differences in opinions are already quite amazing to me.  Here we have two drivers commenting on presumably the same tire -- and one says things like "great corner grip" and the other says "unpredictable in turns."  Wow.

Any theories as to why the disparity?

Tire pressure.

I have had Toyo, Bridgestone, Kumo, and now the V12. No street tire will ever be a Hoosier but I find the V12 very similar to Full Tread Toyo RA1's in their overall preformance. Note that I run them in a very low profile so sidewall flex is minimal. They seem really dialed in around 39Lbs.

That being said I am always very impressed with Michelen PS2's on students cars.

- AMoore - 08-08-2011

Larry,

Are you certain that 225s will not fit the front of your 993.  I used them on my 964 and the size was just right.  If they fit, your choices expand.

I have heard good things about the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 

- fasthonda - 08-09-2011

hello.

I'll go with Brian on this one - the Hankook is one of the fastest, 'very close to a Toyo RA1' street tire on the market. 

I have been doing a lot of the 'time attack' stuff, driving cars for various clients at races, and the general consensus is that the 'Kook is the fastest street tire out there.  now, we shave them to 5/32 when we race them in the dry, but i have driven them unshaven and they are still good, but as Brian said, you can feel the tall tread blocks moving around until they wear down a bit.  wet performance is very good too.  price is very reasonable.

we would aim to have the pressures around 42-44 hot, but this was on a heavy AWD 460 whp Mitsu EVO...

Todd

ReidSpeed

PS   i also have driven on the Advan Neova, and the Dunlop Star Spec street tires.  both very good too.  not as good as the 'Kook though.

- larrybard - 08-09-2011

Really appreciate the comments.  Looks like Hankook will be the choice -- being careful (as always) about proper tire pressures.