Riesentöter Forums
Corvettes in a Porsche club? :) - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Corvettes in a Porsche club? :) (/showthread.php?tid=2878)

Pages: 1 2 3

- AMoore - 06-29-2011

Final point:  As great as the 80s Carrera's are, I would bet that, with a stock setup, your 944 turbo is faster. 

- CarreraS - 06-29-2011

"(keeping small 27 year old budget in mind Smile )"

That's the beauty of what you're doing...you're only 27 and have lots of time on your side to experiment with multiple cars over the years!

I didn't start doing DE events until about a year and a half ago when I was 47 and I regret not starting 25 years ago!  When I knew I wanted to start DE, I got rid of my Boxster because I wanted more hp.  But even though I'm progessing as a driver, I'm realistic enough to know that the abilities of my car make me a look a LOT better than I actually am.

If I was 27, I would start with a car that would force me to be a better driver without all of the nanny items (PASM, etc.) that I have in my car.   

[/quote]

- DJbrand1 - 06-29-2011

The 944 Turbo S I had was really fast. I dialed down the boost at the track because I knew the car was much more capable than I.  Fantastic car, but I get bored easily, and it just doesn't sound as good as a flat 6. Smile  I think I will be going with the 84 911 I have an opportunity to buy. It is pretty well prepared already. See my other post in the air cooled 911 forum. (Does anyone know Maureen McVale's old 84 black 911?)

Going to go with the 911 for a couple reasons.

1. It's a fairly capable car.
2. Not extremely fast where I can get in over my head too quickly. If I can master the 911 quirky handling, I think it will set me up to drive cars with better balancing
3. You don't see them on the streets
4. That engine note!
5. Insurance/Classic tags - A biggie here since it won't just be a track car. I can get insurance for much cheaper, and register it as a classic and not deal with emissions/inspections.

Later on, if and when, I get bored with the 911 I probably won't take as much of a hit with depreciation like a corvette, and then go out and buy a cheap vette?

Any bad logic here?

- dmano - 06-30-2011

If you want a cheep bullet proof track car here is one for sale on eBay. It has all the really good suspension pieces. My Fox gets a full season of track time on 1 set of tires and I have yet to buy rotors or pads for 2 years now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-5-0-LX-1988-Mustang-5-0-SSGT-GR40-Griggs-Road-Race-Car-/320721061834?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4aac7707ca

- DJbrand1 - 06-30-2011

Looks like a nice mustang. I am looking something that is street friendly as well. I went ahead ahead and purchased the worked over 84 911 I mentioned. For those going to Watkins, you'll see it up there. For the corvette guys, maybe in the next couple years. Thanks everyone for your imput!

- ccm911 - 06-30-2011

When is Wally going to chime in?  I would consider his opinion gold, as he has been driving one on the track for years.  I am sure he could give the lowdown.

BTW - This is a good thread.

- Jimbeau - 07-06-2011

At the end of the day the most important thing is that you have something to drive at the track, regardless.  I drive a Vette but I also love 911s and would love to have a 993 track monster like Glen's. 

As Darren mentions replacement parts are a wash if you compare 2005 911 to 2006 or newer (C6) Z06.  But that same $40 k can buy a low miles C5 Z06 and leave $10k for rotors and pads. ($40k won't quite get you a C6 Z06 just yet but getting close).  Corvettes are fast but a well driven 911 isn't anything to sneeze at for sure.

Glen and I have discussed reliability as he gives me grief over my current mechanical woes, but I've had six reliable seasons and over 20k miles of track abuse on my '01 Z06 prior to this year and the current issue is not the car's fault but a result of pressure related oil leaks subsequent to a preventative rebuild.  

I love my car but I'll have a 911 too one of these days.

- Lainey - 07-07-2011

I'm jumping in here as the least experienced half of the Landstra duo... if I were choosing between a stock Cayman S and the Z06... I have to say I prefer the superb set up and handling of the corvette on the track. But then again, it would be great to try a 911 for a change, too. Maybe someday!

That said, any car (porsche or vette) properly tuned and prepped will be fun to drive. The rate limiting factor as people have already said is "budget"...

Its refreshing that our club welcomes all marques - S2000's, Corvettes, BMW's as well as P-Cars.

- Jimbeau - 07-08-2011

Lainey wrote:
Quote:.. if I were choosing between a stock Cayman S and the Z06...

What about at 400+hp Cayman S Turbo? Wink

I guess we might be pushing the boundaries of the 27 year old budget constraints, but I wish I had discovered this hobby in my 20s instead of in my 40s. Then again my wife and my bank account are probably glad I didn't.

- DJbrand1 - 07-08-2011

Jimbeau wrote:
Quote:Lainey wrote:
Quote:.. if I were choosing between a stock Cayman S and the Z06...

What about at 400+hp Cayman S Turbo? Wink

I guess we might be pushing the boundaries of the 27 year old budget constraints, but I wish I had discovered this hobby in my 20s instead of in my 40s. Then again my wife and my bank account are probably glad I didn't.
Haha, yes, those cars a wee bit outside my price range. Anywho, I'll see those of you going up at the Glen. We'll see what the ol' 911 will do. Smile