Riesentöter Forums
the perfect driver - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: the perfect driver (/showthread.php?tid=297)

Pages: 1 2 3

- fasthonda - 01-22-2008

bobt993 wrote:
Quote:when i hop in a new car (new to me, i mean!), i go out and drive it; certainly not 'balls to the walls',

Hellooooooo, I thought this was Todd talking.........but it must not be based on this comment. Big Grin

Todd, are you doing the Feb NASA race at VIR? It looks like I will be ready for the March race there.

ha! most of you RTR guys haven't seen my 'balls to the walls' laps; those are generally reserved for wheel-to-wheel combat, in my own cars!

yes, bob, i am all registered up in PTE for the Feb VIR full race; (the white #11 Ford Probe GT); i can't wait for the Feb races! i love the full course, and i am looking forward to (hopefully) breaking the PTE record there (2:19.0 currently). if it is cool and dry, i think i have a chance to do so!

todd

- George3 - 01-22-2008

<< i love the full course, and i am looking forward to (hopefully) breaking the PTE record there (2:19.0 currently).  if it is cool and dry, i think i have a chance to do so! >>

Todd.... I hope you do it...... good luck !!!

- fasthonda - 01-24-2008

George3 wrote:
Quote:<< i love the full course, and i am looking forward to (hopefully) breaking the PTE record there (2:19.0 currently). if it is cool and dry, i think i have a chance to do so! >>

Todd.... I hope you do it...... good luck !!!

hi george! thanks for the sentiment! and, for those who mentioned it, here is a sample of me driving 'balls to the walls', in my personal car (the #11 ReidSpeed white Ford Probe GT). this partial clip is from VIR Full; i don't think i have ever posted it up (i have posted my incar from that race, but this gives a pretty neat, different perspective); it is incar footage from a strong PTE competitor (his name is Eric Rosen; he drives a black Nissan SE-R). the first half of this race was super hard fought, see-saw battling; as i remember, all of us were in PTE, except for the PTC Civic and the PTC Protege turbo. this is the race where i did a 2:21.0 best lap; i was running on Hankook Z212 RSII street tires (200 treadwear); this coming race in Feb i will be on some used Z214 R compounds, but will also be running 100 lbs additional ballast. if it is dry, and the car runs strong (as it did there last year), i think i can shave at least 2 full secs off. the lap record for PTE is set by the NX2000 at 2:19.0. i want that record!!!! Cool

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6496097092229398085&hl=en

enjoy!

todd

ReidSpeed

- George3 - 01-24-2008

Wow, Todd.

That is awesome driving.... you are a warrior out there !

- Larry Herman - 01-24-2008

Todd, I have to laugh whenever I see your line up through the esses.  When you were little, did you have trouble coloring inside the lines? [Image: yim_rolling_on_the_floor.gif]

- fasthonda - 01-24-2008

Larry Herman wrote:
Quote:Todd, I have to laugh whenever I see your line up through the esses. When you were little, did you have trouble coloring inside the lines? [Image: yim_rolling_on_the_floor.gif]
hi larry!!!!
nah, i was pretty good coloring in my 'Evel Knievel' coloring book!!!! Smile

the only way up the esses is full power (well, the only way if you want to stay in front of the fast guys behind you!). and on the street tires, i'd turn for that right hander, and it would just push immediately; had to unwind the wheel, and let her 'float' over the curbing/grass/dirt and continue on with style! the hardest part about the esses, driving the line like that, is the right hander at the top; tires are dirty and it was super floaty feeling up there, and it wanted to oversteer -- had to keep it to the wood, and counter just a touch.

i'm pretty sure it will be no problem with R compounds on the car; i am sure it will carve right up the esses at full throttle just nipping the curbs; little to no drama this feb!

the places where i suffered the most last year were in Oak tree, and in T1. limited grip there really really hurt me. i'll be giving up a little bit of acceleration with the extra 100 lbs, but it will be worth it to run the R comps. given good track conditions, i am fairly sure it'll be 2:19 lows or high 2:18s.

todd

- Larry Herman - 01-25-2008

Adding 100 lbs is inconsequential if you can run Hoosiers or the new BFG tires.  You may find though, that you have to drive smoother or you will wind up scrubbing off speed with all that extra grip.  Where the street tires would just give up and slide, the Rs will hang on and generate more cornering force, but at the expense of much greater drag.  It is a new balance that you will have to find.