Riesentöter Forums
Where are the mandatory rules posted for using jack stands, etc.? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Where are the mandatory rules posted for using jack stands, etc.? (/showthread.php?tid=3019)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

- larrybard - 03-22-2012

Is there any place on the RTR website -- or elsewhere -- that mandatory rules such as using jack stands (rather than relying solely on a floor jack for support) and wheel chocks when changing tires is memorialized?  Or because such practices are basically a matter of common sense and standard safety practice there isn't any perceived need to document them?  I have read the safety rules I could find on the website, especially "Safety Tech Information," but didn't see anything on the subject.

- Brian Minkin - 03-22-2012

Larry,

I do not know of anywhere this is published but certainly common sense dictates proper safety procedure when using a jack.  I have seen one suddenly collapsed and would not want to be under or near the car when it happens.  Please use Jack Stands!

- cjbcpa - 03-23-2012

Seems to be considered one of those things that goes without saying. Sort of like always handle a firearm as if it was loaded.

Definitely always use jack stands. I also recommend putting the tires you (generally) have removed under the car to catch things if a jack stand should fail. I do this especially if I am crawling under the car. Tires and brakes, not so diligent, but always with jack stands.

CB

- Phokaioglaukos - 03-23-2012

cjbcpa wrote:
Quote:Sort of like always handle a firearm as if it was loaded.
Ok, Larry, what are the other three rules?

- larrybard - 03-23-2012

I completely agree and understand.  I wasn't suggesting that RTR become overly bureaucratic, specifying in excruciating detail what many people consider to be common sense safety procedures.  It's just that I seem to recall hearing so many times at the track that we must use jack stands that I thought such a rule might be found posted somewhere.  But I recognize there's probably no more reason to post that rule than other important and elemetary ones such as making sure one's helmet is buckled on firmly.

- larrybard - 03-23-2012

Phokaioglaukos wrote:
Quote:cjbcpa wrote:
Quote:Sort of like always handle a firearm as if it was loaded.
Ok, Larry, what are the other three rules?

Now why was I willing to bet that you would ask that? LOL

(Don't have it pointed anywhere you wouldn't want it to be if it accidentally discharged; know what is behind what you're aiming at, and keep your finger off the trigger until your target is in your sights. Do I pass, Sensei Karras?)

- Jimbeau - 03-25-2012

Brian Minkin wrote:
Quote:Larry,

I do not know of anywhere this is published but certainly common sense dictates proper safety procedure when using a jack. I have seen one suddenly collapsed and would not want to be under or near the car when it happens. Please use Jack Stands!
Agreed. Hopefully we don't have to make "common sense" a part of our written rules or policies. Big Grin But maybe we should add it to the safety briefing during the drivers meeting.

- betegh9 - 03-25-2012

when I am just changing tires (wheels), I just jack up the car's corner and swap wheels out without getting under it. If I get under it, jack stands for sure. At the track, I only check tire pressures. Do all the necessary dirty work in my garage.

- larrybard - 03-25-2012

betegh9 wrote:
Quote:when I am just changing tires (wheels), I just jack up the car's corner and swap wheels out without getting under it. If I get under it, jack stands for sure. At the track, I only check tire pressures. Do all the necessary dirty work in my garage.

Hmm . . . maybe I'm reading too much into some of the posts, but there seems to be a difference of opinion as to whether it's important that jack stands be used when only changing a tire.

- Brian Minkin - 03-25-2012

I have personal experience (a family member) who jacked the car up and as he was removing the wheel to change a tire had the jack collapse and severely broke his arm when the fender struck his arm. Not saying I have not done a tire change without jack stands in the past but once I saw this happen I always use jack stands.