Riesentöter Forums
100 Octane Unleaded Fuel - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: 100 Octane Unleaded Fuel (/showthread.php?tid=3122)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- Lainey - 12-04-2011

LOOKIN GOOD, BRIAN!!! Have a ball with it...

- Brian Minkin - 12-04-2011

Thanks all for the well wishes with the car. It is a serious race car and I believe it will be fun in either club racing or DE. For now I just got to put my but in the seat and learn its strengths and weaknesses.  I am sure the driver is the weakest link. Confusedhock:

- arena - 12-08-2011

JoeP wrote:
Quote:Brian: I used to work in gasoline blending as a refinery engineer, and one octane point was hard. Seven is impossible when you start from pump gas. Refiners start with raw components, so they have the option of leaving out stuff that lower the average. Raising the average is hard.

1) Do not try to raise the Octane of 93 pump gasoline. Toluene won't get you there. Straight toluene is only 103 Octane. Your final fuel would need to be 70% toluene to hit the theoretical octane rating, and it probably won't blend ideally, so you would need more. Something that rich in one component would be very bad gasoline. I have never seen one of those little-bottle octane gimmicks that comes even close to its claims. Back in the day, MTBE was a better choice at 110 octane, but you can't find it any more.

2) If you no longer have catalytic converters, blending motor fuel with AvGas will work, but it is stone illegal.

3) I would use Sunoco 100 octane pump gas. Unfortunately, the number of stations drops every year. Most of the Pennsylvania stations are out in the boonies where people still build their own performance cars:

http://www.sunocoinc.com/site/Consumer/RaceFuels/260GT100Locations

Joe P.
GREAT info- thank you Joe. Now if I only had a vehicle that runs on 100...

- Brian Minkin - 12-11-2011

So I filled the beast with 100 octane and we went for our our first voyage together on Thunderbolt. It took more then a few laps for us to bond but once I learned how to manage the turbo we started turning some fast laps and I got out of the car with an incredible grin on my face. A few tweaks to do to the beast for next season. It is gonna be a long winter till March comes around and we hit VIR together. Till then racing sims will have to do.

- stentech - 02-01-2012

Second street speed can get you vp race fuel. Only run race fuel octane boosters are Mickey mouse. Proper fuel will save expensive engines. Another option is meth injection but it's one more variable to deal with. Lowering boost pulling timing will also work but will reduce power levels considerably. There is another fuel called power mist that is a race fuel. If you store fuel for a long period of time it's octane will deteorate so be sure it's fresh.
Meenan

- dmano - 02-02-2012

Brian,
If you want to buy in bulk 50 Gal drums you can get it cheap from Lucky's Race Cars in Pheonixville. Call Lucky and he will order it for you. You have to pick it up at his shop. Barry and I buy our fuel from him.

- stentech1 - 02-05-2012

And we know it must be the best price if you too cheap skates buy it there. Hopefully they sell real engine blocks so when yours scatters you can build it right. If it happens on the track at an rtr event and the person behind you getting ready to pass you crashes. You will be paying to fix their car.
S Meenan

- Brian Minkin - 02-05-2012

Steve,

Not sure how to interperate your post but its seems a little out of place.  Back to 100 octane fuel.  In Florida Sunoco does not sell 100 Octane.  It is 98 octane.  So you have to mix it with some 110 to get to 100.  Pain in the ass. 

- fasthonda - 02-11-2012

hey again. I'm really surprised that none of you P car guys run E85 in your turbo cars. I used to run C16 in my turbo honda (totally stock engine internally; stock pistons, stock rods, stock everything. 11:1 compression stock) at 8-10 psi boost. it ran well! cost was a lil over $10 per gal buying it at the VP distributorship. a year and a half ago I switched over to E85 (available at gas stations in various locations; there is a gas station about 20 mins from me). cost is about $3 a gal or a lil less. my Honda runs BETTER on the E85 than on the C16. more torque, more power. no detonation at all. will be retuning this year for 15 psi boost. lots and lots of us running japanese 4 cyl turbo cars (mostly STIs and EVOS, I'm an oddball running a Honda) run the E85. I'd think it would be AWESOME for turbo 911s, especially air cooled cars. the engine runs cooler on E85, and just much better all the way around. it is a bit of a pain in the ass for storing for the winter; the gas tank needs to be drained and the engine run on a gallon of race fuel before putting it away for the winter (keeps the injectors and rest of the fuel system from corroding). I burn about 30-35% more fuel running E85, too. but it is VASTLY less expensive than C16, and the car likes it better. hey Meenan, why aren't more folks running it? i'd think it would kick ass on just about any turbo, or supercharged, or even high compression motor???? oh, and hey guys!!! happy 2012!!! c u soon. Todd

- STEVEMCMORN - 02-12-2012

fasthonda wrote:
Quote:h I'm really surprised that none of you P car guys run E85 in your turbo cars.

I'm running E85 on my lil' turbo miata. With full engine rebuild, Garret disco potato turbo and all new internals, feedback indicates 350-400 rwhp is achievable on a 1.8.... but we are notching it back to 225 rwhp for reliability and until get used to the turbo lag

<--------- photo of new car here