Riesentöter Forums
Install RS clutch into 964, damage to transmission cassing?? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Tech (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Ask the Tech Chair (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Install RS clutch into 964, damage to transmission cassing?? (/showthread.php?tid=3152)

Pages: 1 2

- CarreraSupercharged - 03-14-2012

I was just putting the engine back together and back into the car, when I finnally restarted the car and all went great. I went for a quick ride to see how my new RS clutch performed. After awhile I heard a loud pop and the clutch pedal went to the floor. At first I though, and was hoping for the roll pin in the pedal assy, but it was altogether different. I lifted the rear left side of the car and saw this through the clutch hole. It looks like the clutch fork and shaft broke off a piece of the transmission cassing,... what the heck???

Anyone has an idea of what hapen and how should I go about fixing this?
Stephan

- JoeP - 03-14-2012

Check whether you installed the clutch disc backwards.

- CarreraSupercharged - 03-14-2012

JoeP wrote:
Quote:Check whether you installed the clutch disc backwards.
I dont think it's possible. The car ran fine for a couple rounds in my neighboorhood, untill the loud pop/brake. Is it possible that a new slave and new clutch master cylinder would have generated that much force to brake off the clutch fork boss' ..?

- ccm911 - 03-15-2012

No. He didn't put the disc in backwards a la Doug. But this did happen to a G50 that Doug had.

This is a common issue. Now the decision has to be made whether to weld it back up, or to buy a new case. When another RTR member had the damage welded, the repair lasted three years, and then broke again.

So if a new case could be found for a decent price, I would go that route. Otherwise, talk to an aluminum welder to get a professional opinion.

- CarreraSupercharged - 03-15-2012

Thanks Chris for the info. I guess it all depends on How Much deneros it will cost "welding vs. New Case).

Anyone familiar or have an idea of a good machisint/welder that has experience and could do this type of work?

Thanks

- ccm911 - 03-16-2012

Keep your eyes open at Hershey this year. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a thrashed G50 with good cases.

- CarreraSupercharged - 03-16-2012

ccm911 wrote:
Quote:Keep your eyes open at Hershey this year. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a thrashed G50 with good cases.
Thanks Chris, I was hoping to get the car back running by then, but I could be surprised,,...

- bobt993 - 03-17-2012

You can have the case welded.  Not a big  deal.  When you reinstall the trans have buy the upgrade clutch pin kit to avoid it happening again.  If all was in properly you likely were missing a needle bearing or two from the cage that pin sits in.  This causes excessive lateral force on the eyelets that allow the pin to pivot.  Did you change the guide tube along with the RS clutch setup?  Remember the factory clutch uses a different tube length.

- CarreraSupercharged - 03-18-2012

Yes the guide tube was replace with the RS type, although the old fork and operating shaft were reuse.

I have talked with Mark Berkit from Specialty Car, and will see what he suggest for the repair/weld.

I will order new parts before putting everything back together.

Thanks, I think your explanation makes perfect sense.

Stephane

- bobt993 - 03-18-2012

Unless you have damaged the area around the main shaft just repair the housing. It is so common that there are even upgrade kits available to reinforce the boss. If you have a good welder it will be stronger than the factory mounts.
BTW new parts can do the same thing. There is a specific kit that replaces the pivot shaft with a larger diam unit and a brass sleeve. I have installed this on two trans and never had a problem since.