Riesentöter Forums
Install RS clutch into 964, damage to transmission cassing?? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Tech (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Ask the Tech Chair (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Install RS clutch into 964, damage to transmission cassing?? (/showthread.php?tid=3152)

Pages: 1 2

- ccm911 - 03-19-2012

Did you guys get the new Pano? In the tech letters a guy describes the same identical issue.

Bob - You are a treasure trove of information.

- Larry Herman - 03-19-2012

ccm911 wrote:
Quote:Bob - You are a treasure trove of information.
Only because he has a lot of stuff break. Tongue

- bobt993 - 03-19-2012

Larry Herman wrote:
Quote:ccm911 wrote:

and he has friends to help break stuff ....

- Wally - 03-20-2012

bobt993 wrote:
Quote:Larry Herman wrote:
Quote:ccm911 wrote:

and he has friends to help break stuff ....
OUCH!Confusedhock:

- trevornaidoo - 03-20-2012

Stephane, sorry to hear about the damage.  I hope you get this baby fixed soon.  I have been looking forward to seeing all the hard work you've put in over the winter.

- ccm911 - 03-20-2012

I can only find so much sympathy for a guy with a YZR500. Smile

He has "back-up fun".

- CarreraSupercharged - 03-29-2012

bobt993 wrote:
Quote:Unless you have damaged the area around the main shaft just repair the housing. It is so common that there are even upgrade kits available to reinforce the boss. If you have a good welder it will be stronger than the factory mounts.
BTW new parts can do the same thing. There is a specific kit that replaces the pivot shaft with a larger diam unit and a brass sleeve. I have installed this on two trans and never had a problem since.
After the debacle of my broken transmission clutch fork mounting boss, I searched on Rennlist forum and some have suggested to upgrade to the new improved shaft with bronze bushing. I then order the shaft and bushing kit from PP. Although, when I received the new shaft it appears to be much longer than the OEM part. Am I missing something ???

Bob,please could you help me determine which one should go in?
I have a G50/05 (1992 Carrera)

Based on this picture it is obvious that something is wrong,... what?

- CarreraSupercharged - 03-29-2012

The mount has been rewelded.

here it is,...

- bobt993 - 03-30-2012

WELD THE OTHER SIDE ALSO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or you will be pulling the trans again.  It has been weakened by the flex.  Have it reinforced to match.  Test the shaft in the repair for binding prior to reinstall. 

I have another bushing kit I can line up.  Also it is longer because you have to pull out the old needle bearing cages on both sides.  Grease it up real good.  ( I use high temp CV grease).    you can email me directly with questions at  bob@tracksidedata.com

^^^ When you remove the old style shaft their is a plastic retainer cap that sits on the end of the shaft.  It may have popped out when the guide broke.  Since you no longer need the cap that adds length to the upgraded shaft which now must extend entirely through the guide. (the old one was recessed a bit further adding strain to the pivot point).   The retainer clip that screws onto the end may have to be flipped, but other than that you should be good.