Riesentöter Forums
RTR AX Championship Event #3 Hershey - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Autocross (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: RTR AX Championship Event #3 Hershey (/showthread.php?tid=3185)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- arena - 06-05-2012

The forcast is looking good for this weekend's Round #3 of the RTR AX 2012 championship! (knocking on wood now) 

You may either register online now at motorsportreg.com at the following link:
http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/ECEFD21D-0B4C-13E7-6C5BE90D90B645CD

If you would like to carpool up with the goup, we will be meeting at:

1-76 PA Turnpike Westbound  at the Peter J. Camiel Service Plaza  - Milepost 304.8
 (the first plaza past Downingtown exit) 

at 6:45AM.

Here are the current standings after 2 events:

[Image: 214zifb.jpg]

[Image: 1j9g03.jpg]

Who is interested in meeting up to carpool up to Hershey?

- Vytenis - 06-06-2012

OK, I'll bite...

How are we figuring out the PPF points?

"V"

- CarreraSupercharged - 06-06-2012

arena wrote:
Quote: Here are the current standings after 2 events:

[Image: 24pjx40.jpg]

Jon your scoring system is flawed and very inconsistent, in my opinion.

So for example:

Nick only attends 2 events in the season, take first place both times where 12 Drivers attended= 120 point.

Mr. V attends 4 events and takes first place every single time, where only 4 drivers attended = 80 point total

Then according to your scoring Nick is the overall point winner with two wins less than V.

A fist place is a first place, regardless of how many drivers attended it should be valued or scored the same every single event!

Could you please explain your mathematics here,... or lack of,...:?

- csmith74 - 06-06-2012

Registered. I'll be coming in on 78 though, so I won'tbe joining in the caravan.

- arena - 06-07-2012

Vytenis wrote:
Quote:OK, I'll bite...

How are we figuring out the PPF points?

"V"
Same forumla as before

- arena - 06-07-2012

CarreraSupercharged wrote:
Quote:arena wrote:
Quote: Here are the current standings after 2 events:

[Image: 24pjx40.jpg]

Jon your scoring system is flawed and very inconsistent, in my opinion.

So for example:

Nick only attends 2 events in the season, take first place both times where 12 Drivers attended= 120 point.

Mr. V attends 4 events and takes first place every single time, where only 4 drivers attended = 80 point total

Then according to your scoring Nick is the overall point winner with two wins less than V.

A fist place is a first place, regardless of how many drivers attended it should be valued or scored the same every single event!

Could you please explain your mathematics here,... or lack of,...:?

This is something I grappled with as well... You're correct that if you take first place when only a few people show up it's not worth as many points as when a lot of people do show up. But wouldn't you agree that it's much easier to beat 3 or 4 people than it is to beat 10 or 12?

Regarding your hypothetical scenario about Trevor vs Nick, I think once we get into the thick of the season, you will see that those who simply show up to events will have a large advantage over those who just pick one or two big ones. The Hershey event #1 was a fluke- it was cold and miserable and the weather forcast was terrible. We will get more people to come than that.

Hopefully as a side benifit, this will encourage the front runners to bring more people to the events as well, so that when they win it is worth more points :-)

- arena - 06-07-2012

csmith74 wrote:
Quote:Registered. I'll be coming in on 78 though, so I won'tbe joining in the caravan.

Well it's about darn time the reigning champ showed up Cool

Is anyone else joining the caravan?

- CarreraSupercharged - 06-07-2012

arena wrote:
Quote: But wouldn't you agree that it's much easier to beat 3 or 4 people than it is to beat 10 or 12?

Absolutely NOT, the 3-4 people that show consistently at these events are actually autocross fans, so to dismiss their performance is to simply ignore their comitment.

arena wrote:
Quote:Regarding your hypothetical scenario about Trevor vs Nick, I think once we get into the thick of the season, you will see that those who simply show up to events will have a large advantage over those who just pick one or two big ones.
Again,.. this is wrong, your system reward those who will show once or twice. In the above table a 6th and 7th place (from the second event) is still worth more than a First place from the first event,.... You are clearely not understanding basic rule of statitics !!!

arena wrote:

Quote:The Hershey event #1 was a fluke- it was cold and miserable and the weather forcast was terrible. We will get more people to come than that.

So in short, you are completely dismissing the effort of those who got up that morning, braved the weather, and stood in the rain to have their performance diminished and poorly appraised,... Way to go Mr. Chairman,...

- arena - 06-07-2012

The last thing I want to do is dissmiss the effort of those who got up that morning, braved the weather, and stood in the rain.   I totally hear what you're saying.

The way I see it is this... the championship scoring system should accomplish two things: 

1.  Reflect who is the best driver and best driver/car combination

and 2.  Encouraging Participation

the second one is tricky because the more you reward participation, the more it descourages people to start mid-season.  Thats why we are taking the top 5 results out of 8 rather than simply totalling up all the points... it will allow someone to come in mid season and still have a legitimate chance at the competing.

I still think that the scoring system I have selected is the best way to accomplish both those things... expecially if we have more consistent participation

I absolutelly admit that I need to do a better job of getting more new people out to the events.  I have been on the phones all week trying to get new people out, but I'm having a rough time getting people to drive to Hershey.

- csmith74 - 06-07-2012

Well it's about darn time the reigning champ showed up

[/quote]

Hey, at least I'm not hassling you about your PPF scoring system!Cool