Riesentöter Forums
Newbie - 2 or 3 Days? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Newbie - 2 or 3 Days? (/showthread.php?tid=3268)

Pages: 1 2 3

- SomebodyDial911 - 07-01-2012

Hello, all. I'm new to PCA and am looking forward to getting involved in the group's driving activities. I recently participated in my first autocross and am considering signing up for the upcoming DE event at The Glen. Because this would be my first time out, I am wondering if I would be missing any vital elements of instruction by signing up for just two of the three days (necessitated by work schedule). Is it important that I don't miss any Friday class instruction for the Green group? Any insight?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to meeting you all in the coming months.

Daniel

- CarreraS - 07-02-2012

Daniel:

First...WELCOME!

Second, for my first couple of DE events I, too, only did the Saturday/Sunday sessions.  In retrospect, the mantra of DE is "seat time, seat time, seat time".  In order to improve and build upon your skill set, you can only achieve that by getting as many days on the track as is possible.  So, I would encourage you to do as many three-day events as your schedule allows.    

You'll be fine with Saturday/Sunday to start and you're joining a group who takes great pride in the level of instruction offered to students.

Good luck, have fun and be safe!

David

- Ben951 - 07-02-2012

Two days is fine. I just started this year and two days was a good way to start! I wouldn't use up vacation days or workplace good-will until you know you are thoroughly enjoying the time, and then you can plan it a bit better. Starting off at the Glen? Interesting... =)

- Phokaioglaukos - 07-02-2012

Ben951 wrote:
Quote:Starting off at the Glen? Interesting... =)
With the two vs. three day question well answered, let's talk about the Glen. I believe that Watkins Glen International is the most popular track on our current DE schedule because it has a great, long history of professional racing and is in a pretty family-friendly area with a scenic Gorge, wine tours, good food and the Corning glass museum all near by. As a historic track, though, it is not built to modern standards of run off. There are Armco guard rails near the racing surface at many points and some gravel traps. At a modern track such as the Lightning Circuit at NJMP it is pretty hard to contact a wall and with the DE point-by system car-to-car contact is extremely rare. At the Glen it's easier to bend metal.

For first time DE student my view is that the Glen is a fantastic track. It's long with lots of places to give (and take) point-bys so trains can be avoided, each turn is reasonably discrete so that one error does not play much into the rest of the lap and the line is reasonably easy to pick up. As long as you drive within your ability and listen to your instructor two days at the Glen will be a fantastic experience. Then you'll watch the professional races at the Glen with a completely different perspective--you were there and you know what it feels like.

- ccm911 - 07-02-2012

What Chris said.

And to elaborate further, DE is a lot like skiing. If you ski in control, there will be no issues. On the track, if you drive in control, there will be no issues.

If you drive or ski like an idiot....well, there are consequences. Smile

Have fun. You will do fine, and the instructors will keep you in line as long as you listen to what they are telling you.

Welcome to your next addiction!

- cjbcpa - 07-02-2012

Daniel,

You picked a great track for your first DE experience. It was my first DE track when I started and I can't think of a better place to get hooked. Like any new, potentially hazardous, activity, it should be approached with a measure of maturity and caution no matter what your first track. Stay aware and drive within your comfort zone and you should have no issues. Making an RTR event your first experience was a wise move. We'll provide you with first rate instruction both on and of the track as well as a lot of helpful enthusiasm in the paddock.

I'll go against the grain and recommend three days if you can swing it. My hunch is you'll really love it and wish you had the extra time. Also, if you drive Friday, you can won't feel as much pressure to stay to the bitter end on Sunday to get two full days of track time.

CB

- KennyB - 07-02-2012

Daniel,

Keep in mind that the Glen is about 4.5 to 5 hours away, depending on traffic.  It's not a track (nor is any) that you want to start your driving experience at with insufficient sleep.  Especially for first-timers, high speed driving can be very exciting but draining at the same time.  Focus is key.

I encourage you to come on out and play with us.  Read the RTR Driver's Ed Manual (download from RTR website).  Whether you come for 2 days or 3, it's a great time.

- michael lang - 07-03-2012

first of all...welcome to our club, RTR is really a great group of folks that share the same passion no matter what the outlet. 2 or 3 days at this point is not as important of an issue. I mainly do the 3 day events now because unfortunately my schedule only allows for 3-4 events a season so I make the most of it when I do get out but when I first started I was doing the one day FATT events at SPR and then moved on from there, so don't neccessarily be worried which is better. Yes, at the end of the weekend you will wish that you had gone the extra day if you only do 2 days but remember the goals in DE are, be safe, have fun, learn something, get your car back in your garage at the end of the weekend in the same condition it was at the beginning of the weekend. If you follow those simple rules, you will be smiling every weekend you go out. I guarantee it!!

- Mike Andrews - 07-03-2012

SomebodyDial911 wrote:
Quote:Hello, all. I'm new to PCA and am looking forward to getting involved in the group's driving activities. I recently participated in my first autocross and am considering signing up for the upcoming DE event at The Glen. Because this would be my first time out, I am wondering if I would be missing any vital elements of instruction by signing up for just two of the three days (necessitated by work schedule). Is it important that I don't miss any Friday class instruction for the Green group? Any insight?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to meeting you all in the coming months.

Daniel

Daniel,

There is a classroom on Friday (at least there was and I assume that's still the case) that is directed at first timers. You'll miss that by starting on Saturday.

Plus, missing Friday puts you learning driver education protocol and the track layout all on Saturday after everyone else has a days head start on you. You'll find yourself way behind the learning curve and will most likely spend a lot of time with your arm out the window giving point bys.

So, if you could get time off to make it a three day event you'd be better off.

That's not to say that you couldn't do it as a two day event, it would be more enjoyable to do it as a three day event.

Either way you're sure to have a good time.

- SomebodyDial911 - 07-03-2012

Guys,

Thanks for all of the helpful comments! I think I will try to swing three days to make the most of it...but am now trying to navigate another potential scheduling conflict before pulling the trigger on the Glen. Whether at this event or one of the following ones, I can't wait to get out there and start this "addiction". In the meantime, my new helmet is sitting in the corner of my living room taunting me. Aaaahhhh!

Thanks again!

Daniel