Riesentöter Forums
Newbie - 2 or 3 Days? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Newbie - 2 or 3 Days? (/showthread.php?tid=3268)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Marty Kocse - 07-07-2012

SomebodyDial911 wrote:
Quote:Guys,

Thanks for all of the helpful comments! I think I will try to swing three days to make the most of it...but am now trying to navigate another potential scheduling conflict before pulling the trigger on the Glen. Whether at this event or one of the following ones, I can't wait to get out there and start this "addiction". In the meantime, my new helmet is sitting in the corner of my living room taunting me. Aaaahhhh!

Thanks again!

Daniel

Daniel - if you plan on attending, you better sign up quick as only 2 spots remain in Green. And if you only sign up for 2 days, you will wish you had signed up for 3 by Sun evening. I guarantee it.
Marty Kocse, RTR Registrar

- SomebodyDial911 - 07-07-2012

Thanks for the heads up, Marty.  I just signed up - for all three days.  Big Grin

Now...since I am sufficiently alarmed by references to "bending metal," my next move is to get some supplemental insurance from Lockton!

Curiously, I am thinking about bringing my wife along.  Because I haven't been to a DE event, though, I am having trouble setting expectations for her.  Will she be borded out of her mind...and will she see much of me during the event?  Do you all bring spouses along?

Thanks again to everyone for all of the insight...and for the warm welcome!

Daniel R.

- michael lang - 07-08-2012

I have yet to get my wife to the track, she would much rather watch paint dry. Now that my kids have gotten a little older and don't need as much hand holding, I have been bringing them to the track every now and then. I offer them the camera or the video recorder to play with while I'm out on track. It's hit or miss with that. Sometimes we get some really cool shots and video and others we cry from laughing so hard at some of the stuff that Colin & Alyssa get and some stuff is just garbage. All in all going to DE's is about learning to drive your car at your limits but it's also about the quality of your life. I have never laughed so hard as I have hanging out in the paddock with some of the people in this group. Really good times that I will never forget.

- Phokaioglaukos - 07-08-2012

SomebodyDial911 wrote:
Quote: my next move is to get some supplemental insurance from Lockton!

thinking about bringing my wife along
Track insurance is certainly not necessary, but if it helps peace of mind it can be good value.

Spousal happiness at the track can be tricky. Some share the car and drive. Some crew for the driver or vounteer to staff jobs. Some sit in the motorhome and read. Some take advantage of local attractions, of which there are many at WGI but you need a second car/tow vehicle to do that whilst the track is hot.

It all depend on one's spouse. At your first DE especially you'll be very busy taking it all in and figuring out what comes next. Allow for a certain level of stress or anxiety until you understand how the program works. You'll have chunks of time between sessions during which you'll want to see other cars, get some pointers, think about the coming session and your instructor's comments and attend classroom sessions. If your wife is happy to shadow you for all of this, bring her along and you'll both have a great time. If she plans to read a book, she would probably be happier at home.

- STEVEMCMORN - 07-08-2012

SomebodyDial911 wrote:
Quote:Curiously, I am thinking about bringing my wife along. Because I haven't been to a DE event, though, I am having trouble setting expectations for her. Will she be borded out of her mind...and will she see much of me during the event? Do you all bring spouses along?

I took my wife to summit 3 years ago - she said it was the worst weekend of her life and swore never to come to another track event

PERFECT! Total WIN:WIN! Big Grin

- Marty Kocse - 07-08-2012

Phokaioglaukos wrote:
Quote:SomebodyDial911 wrote:
Quote: my next move is to get some supplemental insurance from Lockton!

thinking about bringing my wife along
Track insurance is certainly not necessary, but if it helps peace of mind it can be good value.

Spousal happiness at the track can be tricky. Some share the car and drive. Some crew for the driver or vounteer to staff jobs. Some sit in the motorhome and read. Some take advantage of local attractions, of which there are many at WGI but you need a second car/tow vehicle to do that whilst the track is hot.

It all depend on one's spouse. At your first DE especially you'll be very busy taking it all in and figuring out what comes next. Allow for a certain level of stress or anxiety until you understand how the program works. You'll have chunks of time between sessions during which you'll want to see other cars, get some pointers, think about the coming session and your instructor's comments and attend classroom sessions. If your wife is happy to shadow you for all of this, bring her along and you'll both have a great time. If she plans to read a book, she would probably be happier at home.
Here's the reality, unless I'm mistaken Chris, your wife, like mine, has, never been to the track for a weekend. Mine has only showed up to Pocono to drop off my second set of wheels but that's about it.

Daniel, get track insurance for peace of mind as you never know what can happen out there unless the car you'll be driving isn't worth much anyway.

- CarreraS - 07-08-2012

As Mickey said to Rocky, "Women weaken legs."

Tongue

- Phokaioglaukos - 07-08-2012

Wrong, Marty Big GrinBig Grin My wife has done WGI, Lightning, a 24 hour race at Snetterton and the Nürburgring with me and we're considering both going to Barcelona the first week in September for a 24 hour race I'm thinking of doing (but expensive). She does get a bit motion sick and we both regret the second lap at the 'ring on a test day....

- Marty Kocse - 07-08-2012

Oops, my bad Chris. If any of those events were with RTR I must have missed those and had no idea about all the other stuff.

- Phokaioglaukos - 07-09-2012

No offense taken, Marty. Just edited my post because the Big GrinBig Grin did not take from my iPhone. I look forward to catching up with you at the Glen....