Riesentöter Forums
Is this workable?? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Is this workable?? (/showthread.php?tid=3277)

Pages: 1 2

- EASTONPA - 06-06-2012

Hi,

I signed up for the lightening this weekend but missed the Riesentoter tech inspection, brought the car into Knopf this morning for the $200 tech inspection:? But the rotors/pads is not up to the standard according to the inspector and wanted $1500 for replacement.

I asked them to mark "fail" on the brakes and new rotors/pads will be installed tomorrow night by myself.

Can I still get on the track this weekend with new rotors/pads with "fail" mark on the tech form??

Thanks.

Steven

- Brian Minkin - 06-06-2012

Yes,

Just bring a receipt for the new pads and rotors.  Let Jim and his crew see that they are installed and you have overcome the fail.

- EASTONPA - 06-06-2012

Yeah, thank you Brian. Your help is much appreciated.

Steven

- Ben951 - 07-02-2012

Jeez... Porsche of the Main Line (West Chester, PA) told me $60 or $65 over the phone, or a tech inspection... Lol at their pads/rotor cost too.

- michael lang - 07-03-2012

Why in the world are you paying for tech inspection? Just to be clear, the $200 you paid was for the inspection only, correct? That is the first time I have ever heard of a shop charging to do a tech inspection. I get the part about the pads & rotors and depending upon which car they are for I can understand the cost. I have never charged anyone ever to do a tech inspection whether it was at a tech event or having someone bring their car to me at the shop for roughly 1/2 hour of work.

- the_vetman - 07-04-2012

Mike, just FYI most shops charge nowadays. Prices vary. I always get a little jealous when people from other regions say that they get tech'd for free. I wish I lived closer to Adamstown so I can bring my car to you!! Wink

I once had mine tech inspected at Dougherty's before I learned better... $175+... I will say that everyone there was very nice and helpful.

I think Tillson charged me $100.

Nowadays, I go to Possum Hollow (close proximity) - $50. Cool

- Brian Minkin - 07-04-2012

The lowest cost way to get your car tech inspected is the RTR tech 2 weeks prior to the event.  $20 and you get to go over your car with the RTR tech inspector and learn more about your car. This is a complete safety tech to insure the car is safe to take on the track.

As to the difference in prices of independents for tech,  Dougherty's tech includes a complete check of all torque values on all suspension nuts and bolts. I have this done at least twice a year on my track cars because things do back off.  They do find things that are beginning to wear and need to be monitored that a basic tech inspection would not pick up befpre the part fails.

- jimsanl8apex - 07-05-2012

Hi Steven
I'm sorry you got charged $200 for tech inspection. It sounds like you were charged for a pre-owned inspection?Those usually run 2 hours.
Please bring your bill and we can review it. We generally charge one hour labor for a PCA tech inspection.
I can be reached at 610-967-0787 to discuss.
Best,
Jim

- the_vetman - 07-05-2012

Brian Minkin wrote:
Quote:As to the difference in prices of independents for tech, Dougherty's tech includes a complete check of all torque values on all suspension nuts and bolts. I have this done at least twice a year on my track cars because things do back off. They do find things that are beginning to wear and need to be monitored that a basic tech inspection would not pick up befpre the part fails.

Thanks, Brian, I did not know that. I don't remember the tech checking suspension torque values, but I could've missed it while walking around admiring the place...

- michael lang - 07-06-2012

Guys, I wasn't trying to start any trouble. I just found it to be very odd that there was a shop fee to have a car tech'd but I do agree with Brian, any shop can charge any amount they feel is neccessary to do any work on a car.