Riesentöter Forums
Access to Summit Parking Night Before? Safe? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Access to Summit Parking Night Before? Safe? (/showthread.php?tid=3285)

Pages: 1 2

- larrybard - 09-29-2012

I will be attending the event Friday-Sunday (Oct. 19-21), and planning to arrive Thursday afternoon.  Due to my low tech style (track tires carried on roof rack; no power tools), it would be great if I could take care of the relatively time-consuming  changing of tires late Thursday afternoon, rather than waiting until Friday morning.

Will access to the parking area be allowed Thursday evening for that purpose?

Almost equally important, would it be safe to leave my unsecured street tires at the track overnight?  (I would then drive my car to and from my nearby hotel on my track tires.)

Thanks,
Larry

- stentech1 - 09-30-2012

There is no way of knowing weather some person will break the code of car guys and steal your stuff. It is always a risk to leave your gear at the track but summit does a good job of checking people at the gate. I and many others have believed in the honor system but it is my recommendation to take all precautions necessary to avoid a bad weekend at the track due to a theft. I would suggest putting your gear in some ones trailer that may be dropping it off at the same time.
S Meenan

- michael lang - 10-01-2012

Larry if you want to, you can put your stuff in my garage until Sunday evening. I'm only 40 mins from SPR and my house is literally on the way to the track. I will be there all three days so you follow me back to my house on Sunday to pick up your stuff.

- Wally - 10-01-2012

Or bring a chain or cable and a pad lock to secure them to one of the shed supports.

- larrybard - 10-01-2012

Mike, Thanks very much for the kind offer, but despite the proximity of your place to Summit, I'd rather not make the round trip on my track tires.

Steve, I understand, and will probably take my chances leaving the street tires/wheels overnight -- and if the next morning they're gone, I guess I'll just have to write them off as bad luck, and check Craigslist and eBay for new listings for postings by  Wally of strikingly similar used tires/wheels. Smile

Steve, your answer seems to imply that there might be access to the parking area Thursday afternoon.  If so, any idea when the gates might first open to permit me to visit?

Larry

- CarreraS - 10-01-2012

Larry:

Based on the access we had for this past weekend's Club Race, Summit Main was inaccessible until after 5:00 PM due to "Government Activities." 

Once we were in, I had two sets of wheels sitting out, (unlocked), for the entire weekend.

HAVE FUN!!

- the_vetman - 10-01-2012

Larry,

As far as power tools, you too can go "high tech" with minimal cost.  Big Grin  Check Tire Rack for their impact wrench.  Works very well as long as your bolts/nuts weren't over-torqued by someone (e.g. at tech/safety inspection...:?).  All in a nice, small carrying case!

I'm sure some will chime in with Snap-On ideas, but I'm just saying... Wink

I thought most tracks allow dropping cars off in the evening before, say after 5-6pm..

BTW, I envy you all.... I have to go to the Glen on 10/17-18 because I couldn't fit RTR SP into my schedule....Sad

- larrybard - 10-01-2012

It's not so much that I don't have the power tools (mostly Milwaukee), as the absence of space.  I pack pretty light -- after all, how many changes of underwear does a guy need for DE? :? -- but the 993 "boot" holds virtually nothing there's not much that can go behind the front seats (due to the roll bar), and after putting a few items such as a small cooler and overnight bag, a floor jack and two jack posts on the passenger side, it's hard to accommodate much in the way of power tools.

- betegh9 - 10-01-2012

larrybard wrote:
Quote:It's not so much that I don't have the power tools (mostly Milwaukee), as the absence of space. I pack pretty light -- after all, how many changes of underwear does a guy need for DE? :? -- but the 993 "boot" holds virtually nothing there's not much that can go behind the front seats (due to the roll bar), and after putting a few items such as a small cooler and overnight bag, a floor jack and two jack posts on the passenger side, it's hard to accommodate much in the way of power tools.

Larry,

I used to carry 4 tires inside my car plus overnite gear to Ft. Devens Ma. Now that I am not competing for $$$, I just drive to the track with my Toyo R888's under my car. No mess, no fuss, no theft........ and still get a year's use out of them.

- larrybard - 10-01-2012

betegh9 wrote
Quote:
Quote:

I used to carry 4 tires inside my car
How'd you do that? (You're not kidding?)