Riesentöter Forums
Porsche Road Show NJMP - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Porsche-Related Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Thread: Porsche Road Show NJMP (/showthread.php?tid=3296)

Pages: 1 2 3

- MLCN911 - 06-22-2012

Seems the new 991 is targeted for aging (loaded) baby boomers, it felt soft to me. $130,000 for the S? Porsche is losing me at that price point. I may have been willing to do a GT3, at that price, but not a S. The new Cayman is becoming what it should have been in the first place. It's the new 911, from my stand point. Just like 50, is the new 30, according to "Men's Magazine".

- Phokaioglaukos - 06-22-2012

Spent a weekend driving with a group that included the designer of the new Boxster. He is very encouraging about how the new VW/Porsche management will allow the Boxster/Cayman to have more power, pushing the 911 more towards touring. I sure hope so. The Cayman is clearly the platform to race. He was very proud of the MUCH larger air intakes on the Boxster, and how the design accentuates them.

- Ccns23 - 06-22-2012

100% agree on the new Cayman. If they keep it along the same lines as the new Boxster (which they will) it is going be THE Porsche to have. Granted I am obsessed with the 991S, I didn't find it as soft as others may have, but I'm sure that feeling will subside when the Cayman is released. And yes, 20" CS wheels + PDK w/Sport Design wheel + Sport Chrono + PSE = the way it should be ordered!

- emayer - 06-22-2012

+1 to all above!
I'd add the LSD if still a standalone option.

The side profile of the Boxster is reminiscent of the Carrera GT. Those larger air intakes will be helpful for adding forced induction!... Confusedhock:

- michael lang - 06-22-2012

They were packing the tents away all day long today and when I went to watch the bikes in between my sessions today there was probably two dozen brand new P-cars in the paddock area of Thunderbolt.

- MLCN911 - 06-23-2012

If this is the new Cayman then Im in.

- MLCN911 - 06-23-2012

Not sure if the color works, but the styling is very nice. IF the 911 S is going up market as a touring GT, the Cayman will be the car for regular porsche lovers. I priced it based on the 2012. Priced the way I would like it, It would come in around $85,000.  Rumor has it that it will have 330hp, which is what is in the current Cayman R.  That price is 911 base territory.  The 991 S that i priced with a aero package came in around $130,000.  

- APXD 30 - 06-25-2012

emayer wrote:
Quote:I was there and agree with your sentiments exactly.

The Boxster S is a winner. Frankly, at that price point I don't see the logic in a base Carrera or Carrera S. I was underwhelmed by the 991s in general but came away loving the PDK for track use. (It hurts me to admit that!)

As for the Panamera GTS: The soundtrack is worlds better than the turbo I currently own. Having had the turbo for more than a year now as a daily driver, it is phenomenal from a driving dynamic and practical standpoint. Even having the sports appearance package, aesthetics is another story. This is really a car one grows to admire, rather than love at first glance...

While I love the sheer thrust of the turbo, I think the GTS makes more sense in terms of pricing and overall enjoyability.

Special thanks to Jim Sangiorgio at Knopf Porsche for arranging the visit!

+2 on the thanks to Jim! Jenn & I enjoyed ourselves and were also impressed by the Panamera GTS and PDK. Make no mistake, this was the PDK show. For us, we even chose a manual Cayenne over a Tip. While we are admitted skeptics of manumatics, the PKD is certainly faster and it is nice just to watch the line without having to "think" about other things. I still wonder how they will hold up in terms of reliability versus a manual under long term hard driving.

We went into the day excited for the 991 (we are now +1 with a newborn daughter) and came away more impressed by the P-GTS. The 991 was a entertaining but is almost too much luxury and not enough sportscar. It felt like a sportcar shouldn't whereas the GTS felt sporting in a way a luxury car shouldn't.

Anyone have any track test data for a 991 versus a P-GTS?

- emayer - 06-26-2012

CONGRATULATIONS JEN AND JOSH!!!

Hope the newly expanding family is doing well.  Take it from me, Daddy will now have a new partner in crime...Big Grin

Thanks for the Cayman images.  Looks perfect.  Dear Porsche:  A nicely stripped down Cayman GT/RS version would be a killer track weapon.

Speaking to Josh's points regarding the 991 vs Panamera:

Having had the 997 turbo with young children and now the Pano, I'd favor the latter.  I tell everyone that the performance envelope between both cars is narrower than most would expect.  Furthermore that gap is something that you would not be able to distinguish unless pushing the car well-beyond safe street use.  The 991 may be improved now, but with the 997 turbo back seat child seats/ boosters were always a PITA.  Conversely, the Pano is like a station wagon!  Important when travelling with little animals...

Looking at lap times, the Pano turbo runs in the 7:50-7:55 range at the 'Ring.  Outstanding for something so big and about 15 sec off the 997 turbo.  I've not seen any GTS data thus far.  Only caveat is that if the car is to ever see the track, I strongly advise Ceramic brakes.  Given the weight of the car, I'm certain the standard brakes will fade during the course of a session.  Otherwise, I think it would do great.

- LouZ - 06-26-2012

Josh & Jen

+911 on the congtats!

What are her statistics?
Model Name
Curb Weight
Displacement
0 - 60 sleep time
Fuel Consumption